Comic Book Fans

Nowhere ManNowhere Man Posts: 345
edited February 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Just curious to what some of your favorite NON-SUPERHERO comics you all enjoy.
I am a newer reader, just completed Y: The Last Man series which was amazing, so I am looking to dig into something else. Really open to any recommendations, I've heard a lot of buzz around certain books like "Preacher, Sandman, Runaways".
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• djklambakedjklambake Posts: 2,522
    I was a big comic book reader as a young lad, then when I had my first kid, I really got back into it.

If you liked Y the Last Man, you really need to read "Ex Machina" (which recently ended) and you MUST start reading "Saga" by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples

Check out "The Nightly News by Johnathan Hickman... It was a six issue story, but quite amazing.

Another series that recently ended that I recommend to everyone is Jason Aaron's "Scalped" - it is hardcore awesomeness!

Other stuff I'm reading: The Manhattan Projects, Revival, the Walking Dead (!!)

Enjoy!
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
    5/9/22 - Glendale, AZ
    5/18/24 - Las Vegas, NV
  • These all sounds great.
    I just put an order in for Saga, it sounds awesome.

Thanks for the info!
  • djklambakedjklambake Posts: 2,522
    You're going to love Saga! Prolly the best book on the market today, not even kidding.
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
    5/9/22 - Glendale, AZ
    5/18/24 - Las Vegas, NV
  • HGKHGK Posts: 94
    Garfied and Peanuts have been released and I found them taking me way back to my younger years. I believe they are published by Boom.
    I change by not changing
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Scalped is a great modern crime drama involving an Indian reservation. Fables is another modern classic. Both are published by DC/Vertigo. Brian Wood's "Massive" is unfolding as an interesting read. It is published by Dark Horse. If "zombie-type" stuff is your cup of tea, "Crossed" from Avatar really rocks. I really enjoy "Elephantmen" published by Image.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • djklambake wrote:
    I was a big comic book reader as a young lad, then when I had my first kid, I really got back into it.

If you liked Y the Last Man, you really need to read "Ex Machina" (which recently ended) and you MUST start reading "Saga" by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples

Check out "The Nightly News by Johnathan Hickman... It was a six issue story, but quite amazing.

Another series that recently ended that I recommend to everyone is Jason Aaron's "Scalped" - it is hardcore awesomeness!

Other stuff I'm reading: The Manhattan Projects, Revival, the Walking Dead (!!)

Enjoy!

Thanks for the help!
    I am patiently waiting for "Saga" to arrive and I've been reading a little more on "Scalped" and it sounds amazing. Probably going to order the first issue this week.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I'm waiting for this summer when the graphic novel Saga 2 comes out i want to be able to read them back to back.

Also has anyone been reading Dial H for Hero? China Mieville is one of my favorite current authors but i was curious how his comic book was.

on a side note i got tickets to comic con this weekend :D
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • I loved preacher. Really liked the dark tower runs , think they are coming to an end unfortunately.
    John Roach