How do people pull off moving with families/houses?

blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
edited November 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
So long story short... My wife and I live in upstate NY with our two sons in a house that we own (not outright). We both work full time.

My family is from the Pittsburgh area, and we have been looking to move back there. Good news is that we have some family land that we are getting for free. We are excited about moving to a place with some acreage and piece and quiet.

But, the process seems so daunting. We'd need to build on the land (which we are looking forward to), but how do people time finding new jobs, selling their house, building, etc?

With the economy as it is, one of us finding a job is the first step, but after that it seems like a giant leap of faith. I mean, can you get a large construction loan when you are already extended on another mortgage? Not a great market, but ideally our house will sell quickly (and we can move in with my mother during construction), but if not, how in the hell do you afford a mortgage and a new construction loan?

Who has done this sort of thing, and is it as scary as it seems? lol
My whole life
was like a picture
of a sunny day
“We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
― Abraham Lincoln
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,680
    It sounds like you have a good fix on prioritizing. You know one or both of you has to find a job first and you have a place to stay during construction. Maybe you could look into getting an equity line of credit on the house you now own to get you started on the new one, move in with you mother for a while and keep the old house and rent out which would give you income while you build the new place.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    live in a mobile home trailer while erecting a home. or live in a camper, or a yurt until construction is complete. get water and electric hooked up. build a garage and live in it while building the house. simple pimple
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • chadwick wrote:
    live in a mobile home trailer while erecting a home. or live in a camper, or a yurt until construction is complete. get water and electric hooked up. build a garage and live in it while building the house. simple pimple

The camper idea is one we thought about too. My dad passed away this year, and my mother was going to sell their camper in the spring. I could always convince her to hold off. Living at home could get old quick :)
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    chadwick wrote:

The camper idea is one we thought about too. My dad passed away this year, and my mother was going to sell their camper in the spring. I could always convince her to hold off. Living at home could get old quick :)
    kids stay in the house w/ grandma. when you and the wife want alone time... on... camper style.

when my dad got divorced it was mid winter. he stayed in the camper all winter. it was toasy warm. you just have to fill the gas tanks a few times a month. or... get a bigger tank & never fill the fucker but once all winter...

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    sure there isn't running water so you shower indoors. amssuming you aren't running the water out there. it is also kinda difficult to convince women to pee in a snow drift @ 2am

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce