Peavey 5150 or Marshall JCM 2000

sleeplikeadogsleeplikeadog Posts: 156
edited December 2012 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey, so I have a Peavey 5150 combo amp(2x 12") that is all tube and works pretty well for what I need it for, and it was all I could really afford at the time(I think I paid $400). Well, I'm still broke, but I'm thinking about trading it for a Marshall JCM 2000 combo. I used to have a JCM 2000DSL half stack, but I had to sell it, but as far as a Marshall, I wasn't completely happy with the sound. Now the Peavey isgood for punk rock type stuff, but I also play less muddy garage rock stuff as well, and I'm wondering if the marshall will be better. I feel like the 5150 is a one trick pony. Any thoughts from someone who probably knows better than I do about this stuff??
Walking is still honest
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• i am a marshall guy. been playing them for 12 years. i would not own a jcm 2000 if marshall paid me to take one. they sound horribly different than any other amp that marshall makes. to me they are basically not marshalls. i almost bought one back in 2003 when they were brand new and i bought a 3 channel laney head over the jcm 2000. if it were me i would try to go with something older like a jcm 900 or 800. the 900s are really cheap. i have one of each of those and a '74 jmp and after playing those amps for years i would stay with the 5150. i have seen a lot of guys in bands around here playing 5150s and they have really good guitar tone.

if you have money you want to spend get yourself a few really nice pedals. or you can trade in the 5150 and put that plus the money you have into a better amp.

sorry to trash the jcm 2000, but you asked for advice... :mrgreen:
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Better off with the 5150 then the JCM 2000. Not that either are "My bag".

There are a lot of nice amps out there, reasonable priced...
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Yea, I was never happy with the JCM 2000 when I had one. I think I will just keep the 5150. I don't really want a 1x12" amp.
    Walking is still honest
  • assuming that 5150 can be unplugged from the speakers (alot of combo amps literally have a plug running out of the amp head into a speaker jack in the open back of the cabinet) you could just unplug the 5150 amp itself, buy a new amp head (cheaper than an entire new combo) and then run the cable from you new amp head in to the back of your old 5150 combo cabinet.

i've done that with several amps\heads before, and it can be a fun way to experiment with sounds.
    :D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • glad i am not the only one who dislikes the jcm 2000...i think i have utter contempt for those amps...why marshall deviated from the early 80s, vertical input, single channel 50 watt jcm 800 is beyond me... :fp:

nothing they have done since those early 800s has topped them.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • The Peavey 5150 is basically just Peavey's attempt (at EVH's request) to create a modified version of a JCM 800 anyways. It's got a mid-high boost that is common to most Peavey gear, but it can be twiddled with to get a Marshall-ish sound, albeit with 6L6 tubes rather than EL-34s. Peavey has been known to make a decent tube amp from time to time... Stone has played Delta Blues amps on a few tours, and the Classic amps (20, 30, 50, and 100) are all pretty good, chimey tube amps. A friend and former bandmate of mine bought a Peavey Ultra halfstack years ago, and swears by it.

Then again, this is from someone who never really met a Marshall amp that I cared for. I think other players sound great on them, but I could never find one that responded to my playing dynamics right (this is also true for me with Vox or EL-84 amps). I think if I really wanted something in that vein, I'd probably start with Bogner or Orange, or Fender Supersonic.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Traynor YCS50 is a great option... 50 Watts switchable down to 15, great great amp...

Of course, I still want a Deluxe reverb at some point.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • The Peavey 5150 is basically just Peavey's attempt (at EVH's request) to create a modified version of a JCM 800 anyways. It's got a mid-high boost that is common to most Peavey gear, but it can be twiddled with to get a Marshall-ish sound, albeit with 6L6 tubes rather than EL-34s. Peavey has been known to make a decent tube amp from time to time... Stone has played Delta Blues amps on a few tours, and the Classic amps (20, 30, 50, and 100) are all pretty good, chimey tube amps. A friend and former bandmate of mine bought a Peavey Ultra halfstack years ago, and swears by it.

Then again, this is from someone who never really met a Marshall amp that I cared for. I think other players sound great on them, but I could never find one that responded to my playing dynamics right (this is also true for me with Vox or EL-84 amps). I think if I really wanted something in that vein, I'd probably start with Bogner or Orange, or Fender Supersonic.

You definitely have a thing for modern Fenders...
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

• You definitely have a thing for modern Fenders...

Ha! I own two Fender amps, but both were made in 1966, and neither are my "go-to" amp. My primary is a Sovtek Mig 50, the Russian military-surplus copy of the Marshall Plexi, itself a British copy of the Fender Bassman. But here we get into the issue of power tubes... 6V6, 6L6, EL-34, or my favorite bottle, the 5881.

As for my affinity for the Fender Supersonic, it's just a great all-around amp. Not an exceptional one-trick pony, but a very versatile and adaptable amp. I also like the Hot Rod/Blues amps for their ubiquity, price, and ability to work well with pedals. I don't own one, but I'd be perfectly happy playing through one. And the Supersonic especially has a pretty good distortion channel, something Fender has typically struggled with.
  • You definitely have a thing for modern Fenders...

Ha! I own two Fender amps, but both were made in 1966, and neither are my "go-to" amp. My primary is a Sovtek Mig 50, the Russian military-surplus copy of the Marshall Plexi, itself a British copy of the Fender Bassman. But here we get into the issue of power tubes... 6V6, 6L6, EL-34, or my favorite bottle, the 5881.

As for my affinity for the Fender Supersonic, it's just a great all-around amp. Not an exceptional one-trick pony, but a very versatile and adaptable amp. I also like the Hot Rod/Blues amps for their ubiquity, price, and ability to work well with pedals. I don't own one, but I'd be perfectly happy playing through one. And the Supersonic especially has a pretty good distortion channel, something Fender has typically struggled with.

Yea I'd have to say the Supersonic, when I messed with it, never grabbed me. never really felt like it had any soul to it or something.

I have a love for 6V6's.

Mig 50's are great, don't get me wrong. And sooner or later I'll have a JTM45. Probably later then sooner...

• Why the need for a 2x12 amp, just curious? What sized rooms you playing?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • I just like the sound of the 2x12" better than a 1x12"
    Walking is still honest
  • What speakers are in your 5150 combo? I wonder if a couple new speakers wouldn't liven up your sound. Peavey speakers have typically been a weak point. I love the Sheffield, but only in a sealed enclosure, and they tend to be a bit muddy (although I love the body they provide in the low-end). The Blue Marvels are crap, and the Scorpions were overhyped and way too harsh. You could possibly swap in a new speaker or two and really improve your tone. Then again, I tend to prescribe a Celestion Vintage 30 for about 70% of tone problems... you would think I was on the dole.