Options

Springsteen in Vancouver Last Night!

ZodZod Posts: 10,118
edited November 2012 in Other Music
I saw Springsteen in Vancouver last night. It was my 2nd springsteen show but the last one I was very ill with bronchitis, so this was the first one where I got to take it all in.

It was fucking epic :) I've seen over 150 concerts in my lifetime (with 20 of those being pj shows) and I think this ranks #2 on my all time list (just under my favorite PJ show which was gorge 05).

He does GA floor but he breaks it up into sections. About 30% of the floor is baricaded off for a pit. You show up between 1pm and 4pm and you get a wristband with a number. Then you show up at 4:30 they call a number to start at and let people in. Last night they let everyone who showed up early into the pit. I think having all the diehard fans who would wait outside for several hours in the front section of the the pit works very well.

As for Bruce, he killed it. The show was awesome. He worked the crowd so hard. The only other band I've seen light up GM place like that was PJ.

I've even got a cool picture of springsteen crowd surfing across the pit. The guy isn't afraid of his fans at all. Surfs across the pit, goes into the crowd at the left and right of the stage. Pulls up a girl (like 8 or 10 maybe) to sing part of a song on stage. Brings up an 80 year old woman to dance in Dancing in the Dark. Took requests from the crowd.

He rocked it out on every song. He owned the crowd, and the crowd was amazing. Everyone standing for the whole show.

I was at McCartney the night before in BC Place (which is a Stadium opposed to the Arena that Bruce was playing). The McCartney show was good, but I don't think it would of cracked my top 20 or 30. I think the only people standing were the people on the floor. It was a much more subdued atmosphere.

Anyways I'm pretty stoked to have finally seen a Springsteen show that I didn't miss because of a final exam or was battling a 103 degree fever.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I am dying to see a Springsteen show.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    chittychitty Posts: 577
    I have also seen a TON of concerts and definetely this Springsteen show, my first, is in my top 10, probably top 5 (nothing will compare to front row PJ in 09 at GM Place).

Almost three hours of music and constant entertainment! He knows how to work a crowd.

For a monday night, the crowd was loving it. Even though I probably didn't know a third of the songs as I've only recently got into the springsteen catalogue, this show was top notch.

If he's in your town, go, it's well worth the money!
  • Options
    awilkinsawilkins Posts: 984
    Did Springsteen join Paul on stage as was rumoured/supposed to happen?
  • Options
    rockpantsrockpants BC Posts: 838
    awilkins wrote:
    Did Springsteen join Paul on stage as was rumoured/supposed to happen?

Nope. I thought I heard him soundchecking, but in hindsight, it was probably one of McCartney's band members.

The concert atmosphere in BC Place is ... disconnected. Mind, I've only seen 3 gigs in there now - Paul McCartney, Roger Waters: The Wall, and U2 before the roof was replaced. Sing-a-longs seem so quiet because the sound has so much further to travel. One thing I was happy to see was that the front of the audience - people who paid like $2000 per ticket, if not more - were seriously rocking out up there. Not the stereotypical "business suit" crowd. Our section was active. The Live and Let Die pyro was AWESOME. If the old roof was still on BC Place, though, it would have gone up in flames the moment the first one hit the ceiling. :lol:

A Bruce crowd will always be more raucous. Not only for the nature of the music produced by the artists, but also, I'd speculate the average age of the crowd goes up by about 7-10 years. Standing room only GA for the front row doesn't appeal to most people in my parent's demographic. :P Wish Bruce's gig and the RNDM gig didn't cross paths, but thems the breaks. Glad to hear it was awesome. 8-)
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,118
    I agree that at McCartney you could see the front part of the floor rockin' out but everyone else was sitting. I'm pretty sure eveyone was enjoying it, just older folks I guess.

I'm not sure I blame the venue. I saw u2 there for the popmart tour and the place was a rockin'.

It is harder to win over a stadium though. Generally at least 50% of the fans in a stadium can't identify the band members. There too far away. You can only figure it out because of the big screen. It makes it really hard to connect with people in a venue that size. I suppose that's why there's only so many bands in the world that can pull off stadium shows.
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Bruce is awesome and his shows are epic!

Here are some pics I took from the rail at St Paul 2 a few weeks ago. Great time! I think next year I am going to travel to see Bruce instead of PJ.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/19066858@N ... 011209983/
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City