what bands should aspiring musicians be forced to listen to?

peacocoapeacocoa Posts: 46
edited December 2012 in Musicians and Gearheads
With a gun to their heads, i feel like aspiring musicians should be forced to listen to the beatles and the grateful dead for both songwriting and musical talent. Thoughts, questions, concerns?

I know there's several more out there that should be included here but this is a half ass effort and I would like to hear others opinions.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Zeppelin
    The Band
  • PapPap Posts: 28,823
    Bob Marley
    Tom Waits
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • big mickbig mick Posts: 773
    Rolling Stones
    Muddy Waters
    Howlin Wolf
    Jimmy Reed
    Son House
    Leadbelly
    Reading England 2006, Manchester England 2009, London England 2010, Manchester 1 2012, EV London 1 2012
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    The Doors
    Hendrix
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    They should listen to Hocus Pocus, by Focus for a 24 hour period on repeat. :)
    Rage Against The Machine
    Cypress Hill
    Ramones
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • Pap wrote:
    Bob Marley
    Tom Waits

could you explain your choice to someone who hasn't listened to much bob marley?
  • Jason P wrote:
    They should listen to Hocus Pocus, by Focus for a 24 hour period on repeat. :)

i think most would have them pull the trigger
    peacocoa wrote:
    Pap wrote:
    Bob Marley
    Tom Waits

could you explain your choice to someone who hasn't listened to much bob marley?

Sure. Lyrics, music, activism, stage presence. All in all, he was a wonderful human being.
  • With The Beatles, I'm more impressed with their vocal harmonies then anything else. How they would keep notes out of chords on the guitar, and fill it in with the harmonies is just awesome.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Wilco
    The sounds these guys can produce with their instruments is incredible, and Tweedy's song writing is up there with the very best of them, albeit a little wierd sometimes.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • You shouldn't be able to be in a band with out listening to The Velvet Underground first.
    If you need an explanation, you don't need to play music.
    :D

You really have to appreciate how they could take a song, so clean and sterling beautiful in the studio, and then just trash it live ... make you wanna smash things ...

What Goes On (studio) \ What Goes On '68 (shreddin it)

Or, in fact ... do the exact opposite ... take a screaming ear bleeder, and shoot it full of, well ...

Heroin (studio) \ Heroin - Paris '72 (acoustic, short)

bonus features:
    Black Crowe's laconic rockin' "Oh Sweet Nothin"
    Jane's Addiction - Rock n' Roll
    Blind Melon plugging Velvet Underground during No Rain
    REM - Pale Blue Eyes
    Record Club (Beck & Friends) - All Tomorrow's Parties
    Screaming Trees - What Goes On
    Nirvana - Here She Comes Now
    Pearl Jam - tagging "Beginning To See The Light" during Daughter
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Shouldn't be FORCED to listen to anything. Who is to say what's good and not? It's a matter of opinion. I personally LOVE Boyfriend (Justin Bieber) and many Nsync songs...but I doubt anyone else would agree. Just listen to what YOU like and write what YOU want. I could care less for most of the Beatles catalog. It's boring. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Shouldn't be FORCED to listen to anything. Who is to say what's good and not? It's a matter of opinion. I personally LOVE Boyfriend (Justin Bieber) and many Nsync songs...but I doubt anyone else would agree. Just listen to what YOU like and write what YOU want. I could care less for most of the Beatles catalog. It's boring. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Well, obviously I don't think that people should be forced to listen to music with guns pointed to their heads.

I feel like if musicians are going to listen to other music for guidance and direction, it's my opinion they would be wise to listen to the beatles and the dead (and many others). Those musicians can like those bands or not like them. The exposure to those bands or any of the bands listed above is the important thing. It's all a matter of opinion and that was the point of the post. It's probably a stupid post but I was bored at work.

As far as Justin bieber and Nsync - variety and diversity are good things. That's why I included the dead. Their sound is an eclectic mix of several different genres of music. Casting a wide net is a good thing too. Some people may choose to cast a wider net than others and include (and possibly enjoy) musicians (?) like Justin bieber and Nsync and that's ok. I was just interested in the opinions of other board members.

I completely agree. I personally don't listen to pop radio, or actually radio in general. But there are pop songs I hear that I think are catchy. Makes me glad I don't listen to the radio to have those songs ruined from being over played. i also think there are great songs that are catchy that are by bands that are completely unknown. I encourage everyone to just go out on a limb and check out local artists, or go to small music stores and get some unknown artist album.... Or go back and buy something from some unknown band from the 50's or 60's.

I don't really think i copy my bass playing, guitar playing or song writing off of anyone specific. A mix of a bunch sure... But I find it flattering once in a while when I'm playing that someone says "hey that reminds me of such and such". Makes me think about what they say and focus on what I played to try to see what they are saying. Most times i find that I'd of never noticed that if it wasn't pointed out.

The final recommendation I have, that I personally use is that when I'm in "SONG WRITING" mode i tend to listen to the complete opposite of what I'm trying to play or write. So those are the times when I'm listening to tons of rap.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/