Can someone help me pick apart this song?

ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
edited November 2012 in Musicians and Gearheads
I believe it's mostly just C and G for the verse and F, C, G for the chorus but I'm not certain. I'd appreciate anything. It's one of my favorite holiday songs and I'd love to play it in a couple of weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePRya-Ci8Ys
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• well it sounds like there are probably two guitars playing. (shit, if you listen it could be 3-5 worth of fills)
    one doing the main picking, and one doing some picking fills.

you are right about the chords
    the intro is something like

=================gets pretty muddled with multi guitars here but, think it goes to Gad4 like this?===
    e
    B
    G
    2---0----0
    0---
    D---3
    A---3
    3----0h2
    E
    (i'm not sure about those Estring "Gs" ... it may just be A string "Bs", its weird, the G seems implied not played, could be bass, or a fill, or i'm deaf?)

That repeats 2 or three times. Like i said, there are 2 or 3 other parts in there, that you will probably not be able to discern into discreet parts. :(

The verse, best i can tell is just C, and there are some spots where there is a hammer on\off to b-string B...
    and there are parts where the low C (a string) drops to B as well (which i guess is sort of a G - or Gadd4 - with a B in the bass - no G on E string)

repeat this a few times
    e---
    B
    G
    D
    A---3
    E---

then this gets thrown in every so often
    e---
    B
    0h1
    G
    D
    A---3
    E---

then when it goes to "G" (like when he says "these are the days" in first verse) i believe it is shifting to:
    e---
    B
    G
    D
    A---2
    E---

As far as the chorus goes, its honestly to noise with horns, instrumentation and other shit for me to discern where the chord changes go ...

i have to stop now, because my girlfriend is not a fan of this song, and i've replayed bits and pieces about 40 times already!
    :D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • You should tell your gf to get with the program. It's a fantastic song! Thanks Drifting!