Seroquel

ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
edited November 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Any Rx experts out there? I've just been put on 150mg of this daily and holy shit it seems like a total mind fuck. I've been diagnosed as bi-polar I (for about two years now) and it's amazing how long it takes to get the right mixture of meds.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• oona leftoona left Posts: 1,677
    I have no personal experience with that medication nor expertise of any kind, but I empathize with you on the whole struggle to find a reasonable balance drug wise. It can be a real bastard.

Best of luck to you! Hope it works out.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I work for a pharmaceutical company right now, and I have my own opinions about pharmaceuticals that are for a different discussion entirely.

I really can't provide anything to this, but I sincerely hope you find the relief you need, in whatever form that may be.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • djklambakedjklambake Posts: 2,522
    I have no personal experience with it, but I have worked with someone who is bi-polar and was on Seroquel. Different drugs do different things for different people. I know, with him, when he was on it, any time you talked to him it was like he was looking through you. Not that he was zooed out or anything, it just seemed like he was looking way past you - like a 1,000-yard stare. It made him hot and blotchy. He stopped taking it cold turkey (which he had a really rough time with).

I hope you find the right mixture and the best balance. All the best, man.
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
    5/9/22 - Glendale, AZ
    5/18/24 - Las Vegas, NV
  • jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,182
    I am currently in my 3rd year of my PharmD. Even though it is really hard to treat bi-polar disorder, when you compare Seroquel to the other drugs in its class it is one of the better drugs you can take. The big side effects are a sedative effect and minimal weight gain, which compared to other drugs really isn't that bad. Other medications cause severe sedation, high weight gain, major GI issues, cardiovascular complications, and involuntary muscle movements/spasms. In addition it interacts less with the liver enzymes that cause drug interactions by increasing or decreasing drug effects in your body. People also tend to be able to tolerate higher doses and there is even an extended release tablet you can take to help with dose adherence.

One huge thing too is that the drug will take a few weeks before you see real benefits and you should never abruptly discontinue the drug. Also, never take a few days off if you start feeling better because effective therapy is dependent on constant adherence. Obviously drugs work differently with different people, but hopefully you will see some benefit soon. I know people who are bi-polar that are able to manage the condition with medications, so it is doable. Good luck
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Thank you everyone. It's still in the early phases of being on the medication. Just praying for the right mixture of medications. Trial and error is one hell of a way to go through a progress of finding the right mix, but as long as it works... :thumbup: