Options

Anniversary of Abraham Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address Quiz

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,685
edited November 2012 in A Moving Train
Click on link and take the quiz. I only got 60% correct. Time to hit the books!

http://blog.constitutioncenter.org/2012 ... -franklin/
his Monday marks the anniversary of Abraham Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address. But can you tell difference between one of Abe’s most famous quotes and famous sayings from Benjamin Franklin?

Lincoln and Benjamin Franklin are probably the two most quoted figures in American history.

Lincoln’s public career came three or four generations after the heyday of the Founding Fathers. He was born in 1809, just after Thomas Jefferson left office as president.

The future president grew up on the frontier and became an adult during Andrew Jackson’s terms in the White House. All the while, Lincoln studied history and speechmaking–and he was very familiar with the Founding Fathers’ writings.

As most orators of the time, Lincoln was also familiar with the homespun sayings that were the hallmark of Franklin’s publishing career 100 years earlier.

Recent Constitution Daily Stories

Constitution Check: Can Texas get constitutional permission to leave the Union?
Current Petraeus affair has nothing on nation’s first sex scandal
Homegrown marijuana would be an interesting high court case

So can you tell a Lincoln saying from a Franklin saying?

Take our quiz below and after you finish the 10 questions, get ready for a few surprises, including one quote straight out of “The Godfather.”
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,886
    Same 60% here and I blew some of the Franklin questions! Shame, shame...

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    70% - though I must admit a couple of them were guesses!
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    80%
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,695
    norm wrote:
    80%
    60%. WITHOUT google, wiki, or a quotation website!! ;)
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat wrote:
    norm wrote:
    80%

80% of guesses....honestly...i thought for sure i'd get like 40%...hell, this is how i got through high school! :lol:
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,284
    47%
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    speaking of gettysburg

tumblr_mdlp321AKN1r2u8sso1_500.jpg
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,695
    norm wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:
    norm wrote:
    80%

80% of guesses....honestly...i thought for sure i'd get like 40%...hell, this is how i got through high school! :lol:
    well, today I dont have the benefit of getting stoned. :mrgreen:
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    100% :D Although to be fair, if I didn't score 100% I shouldn't go back to teaching!
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Options
    riotgrl wrote:
    100% :D Although to be fair, if I didn't score 100% I shouldn't go back to teaching!

A+, teach! :thumbup:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i got 70%. i was using abraham lincoln vampire hunter as my resource text. ;)8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    i got 70%. i was using abraham lincoln vampire hunter as my resource text. ;)8-)
    :lol:
    A copy of this that book came in the story the other day and I asked C. in which section of the store she thought it should go. She said, "Put it in with vampire romance novels." :lol:

• Options
    brianlux wrote:
    :lol:
    A copy of this that book came in the story the other day and I asked C. in which section of the store she thought it should go. She said, "Put it in with vampire romance novels." :lol:

i wouldnt class it as a romance.. but then again i wouldnt class wuthering heights as a romance. for me heathcliff was far too vampiric in his behaviour and catherine too much within his thrall for it to be a romance. tho perhaps we can expand the definition of romance. but damn i loved that book. i should read it again soon i think.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Ooop, wrong place.

On second thought... it's a good story so...

Speaking of the Brontes , here's an interesting. This is from Catherine Reid's book Coyote - p.50 :

"Other than cold, it's teaching that gives me my days their definition, though the best exchange today happens not in the Women and Literature class, but afterward, in the hall, when two young women tell me about seeing the movie Jane Eyre, and I ask them what they know about Charlotte Bronte. Though both are fairly conversant with contemporary culture, neither has ever heard of her. They think the movie sprang fully formed from a script writer's mind; they hadn't imagined an author laboring one hundred and fifty years earlier, shocking the world with her unregenerate Jane.

I want the writer to come alive for them. I want them to know how she and her siblings lived, and why she first published under a male pseudonym. I tell them Charlotte Bronte based Jane Eyre's experiences on her own, when she and her older sisters were sent off to school for the daughters of impoverished clergymen, where two of the sisters died from diseases they caught there. I tell them that Jane's love for Rochester was probably modeled on Charlotte's unrequited love for a married teacher she met a school in Brussels. Then I list the sequence of events- how she became a literary phenomenon almost overnight, how her brother died, followed by her two remaining sisters. That left her father and the man she agreed to marry at the age of thirty-eight and within a year she, too, was dead, from the complications of pregnancy.

They shudder at the grimness and at the same time are intrigued so I tell them about the town of Haworth and the cemetery's location above the Bronte house. It's a perverse urge on my part, but it's one of the images I'll never forget from a trip I once made there. I want them to share my horror at the docent's theory about the slow leach of toxins from the graveyard into the water supply, a titrated dose to weaken each of the Bronte's slowly.

'Gross', they say. 'Gross'"
    Post edited by brianlux on

• Options
    brianlux wrote:
    Ooop, wrong place.

:lol: did you mean to PM but replied publically accidently??? i just did that but had time to delete the whole post.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    brianlux wrote:
    Ooop, wrong place.

:lol: did you mean to PM but replied publically accidently??? i just did that but had time to delete the whole post.

I did. :oops:

But I posted the story here anyway 'cause it's sooooo strange!

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,152
    i was doing cold calls in springfield, IL today. i ended up going and visiting lincoln's tomb. it was very cool. i recommend checking it out if you are ever in the area. even with covid you can still go inside and see where he and the family are buried.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."