Spielberg has done it again...

PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
edited November 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
...Lincoln was a magnificent movie! Just came home from the 12 pm showing and I am stunned at how good it was...Obviously Daniel Day Lewis was fantastic as President Lincoln, but what a performance by Tommy Lee Jones as Thaddeus Stevens! Stole every scene he was in...
The cast was great - lots of familiar faces in this one...2.5 hrs flew by...
I loved how this wasn't a biography but a snapshot of a particular part of Lincoln's life (after re-election, trying to get the 13th Amendment to pass)...
Well done Spielberg!!!
If you love history, are a fan of Lincoln and love great movies - then this one is for you!
Enjoy.
PS - if Spielberg, DDL and TLJ don't get awards galore for this movie, I'd be thoroughly shocked...
11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24~9.29.24
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    It does look incredible.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,286
    I heard it was fantastic.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • ozgurkdozgurkd Posts: 434
    recently read about Lincoln and also watched Robert Redford movie so I look forward to the movie to learn more about American history
    It is sad about Lincoln though, his depression Learned that actually he was trying to recover from his son`s death when he was killed Must be awful to lose your kid and only emotional people would care that much
    no wonder he cared for slavery too
    Living is no laughing matter: you must live with great seriousness like a squirrel for example - I mean without looking for something beyond and above living, I mean living must be your whole occupation.
    Nazım Hikmet
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,410
    can't wait to see this!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • great post. I was flabbergasted how the "Whats the most recent movie youve seen" thread seemed to have no Lincoln attendees.

My most anticipated film of the year, am a massive fan of DDL and Spielberg. And I agree. The film was incredible. I went in with massive expectations and left completely satisfied. DDL did what he does best, completely becoming a President, I had no problem believeing I was watching the real flesh and blood Abe Lincoln on screen. His weary look, the wrinkles on his face, his walk, the voice, all were obviously incredible to watch but no doubt were meticulously crafted by DDL and Spielberg.

The cast beyond DDL was great as well. Tommy Lee Jones, Sally Field, Joseph Gordon levitt, John Hawkes, it was an ensemble cast.

The scene with Molly and Lincoln in the White House where she is saying how much she missed her son was goosebump inducing. And several of the scenes with Lincoln discussing with his cabinet about what to do. the "now now now" speech where he hits the table was the same thing, incredible to watch.

The lighting was incredible as well, all natural light.

DDL will of course be nominated for an Oscar. He delivered yet again. But he has stiff competition. Joaquin in The Master will be nominated, and John hawkes in The Sessions as well.

DDL BECAME lincoln. I sat there in awe of this person he had become, the walk, the voice all of it was so REAL

But this was a performance and movie to behold.
  • PJFAN13 wrote:
    ...Lincoln was a magnificent movie! Just came home from the 12 pm showing and I am stunned at how good it was...Obviously Daniel Day Lewis was fantastic as President Lincoln, but what a performance by Tommy Lee Jones as Thaddeus Stevens! Stole every scene he was in...
    The cast was great - lots of familiar faces in this one...2.5 hrs flew by...
    I loved how this wasn't a biography but a snapshot of a particular part of Lincoln's life (after re-election, trying to get the 13th Amendment to pass)...
    Well done Spielberg!!!
    If you love history, are a fan of Lincoln and love great movies - then this one is for you!
    Enjoy.
    PS - if Spielberg, DDL and TLJ don't get awards galore for this movie, I'd be thoroughly shocked...

I think this is the Jordan effect. You have such a good artist (Spielberg or DDL), and then their greatness makes the whole cast and crew better. I think DDL and Spielberg demanded this movie and everything be more than just another movie, and I think that trickles down. It attracted alot of amazing actors to the roles, and the amount of detail that went into even seemingly minor details like the lighting, what the white house looked like in 1860, how lincoln talked, all that I think speaks highly of everyone involved, but its also indicative of true art. Sally Field has talked about how she works alot like DDL, and that having a set like the one SPielberg provided, where DDL's process of working was normalized and okay, that she felt like she had died and gone to heaven.

But there were so many great minor roles, the guy that plays Rothstein in Boardwalk, the guy who played Lane Price in mad Men. That guy who got in trouble with the prostitutes also looks familiar.

The lane price guy talked about meeting DDL in their hotel, so obviously they werent on set and werent working at that time, and DDL was completely in character as Lincoln and talking about how much he adores Mad Men, and the Lane price guy said it was surreal.

I have no problem imagining that the actors on set really did start to believe they were living in the 1860's and were talking with the real Lincoln
  • I mean... it was good.

Although they left out the part about how he was a secret Vampire Hunter.

I mean that's a pretty big part of the story and it's only been told once.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,890
    Awesome!!! Maybe my mom won't fall asleep at this one. Seriously. Once she actually fell asleep with her hand in the bag of Nibs, and while chewing one. :roll:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,788
    looking forward to seeing this, maybe today or over thanksgiving weekend
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • madtowndavemadtowndave Posts: 4,012
    Can't wait to see this. Maybe tomorrow!
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • I dont get to the theater often..
    Maybe once or twice every 2 years....

But I will go and check this out.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....