Options

Billy Corgan talking trash about Soundgarden reunion

TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
edited November 2012 in Other Music
Sorry if this has been posted but my radio station is asking listeners to take sides, Corgan or Cornell. Corgan says Soundgarden reunited just for the money and Cornell said something about Corgan owing him 40g's, haha. I was very suprised how many people sided with Corgan, and said that soundgarden are desperate for money. I explained to them that Cornell has a very successful solo career and Cameron would make more money doing a pearl jam tour than a soundgarden reunion tour. Why does Corgan feel like he needs to give his opinion on every band? Does he have any friends besides Alex Jones?
9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    djklambakedjklambake PHX, AZ Posts: 2,510
    I'm not a Smashing Pumpkins fan and I'm certainly not a Billy Corgan fan.

He's got a big mouth.

He's promised a major comeback several times and came up short every time. All bluster, no action.

He badmouths other bands who are reuniting or have had continued success... for what?! He sounds like the granddaddy of aging hipsters who I'd like to punch in the face.

Sure there are some bands who realize, after the dust of a long long breakup, that they make more money together than they do apart, but man... I don't believe for a second that that's entirely why Soundgarden got back together. I understand Shep kinda fell on some black days himself over the last 16 years, but their new album is fucking INSPIRED! They phoned in Down on the Upside, as far as I'm concerned... King Animal sounds just as good as Superunknown.

Fuck Billy Corgan and his shitty music/attitude.
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
  • Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    There is a thread about it actually, I'm too lazy to look for it. And too lazy to re-type what I said, but I think most people take Cornell's side. And not really because there are way more Soundgarden fans around here, I'm a casual SG fan, but what Billy said was completely hypocritical.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    Corgan is irrelevant and has been for quite some time now. He doesn't realize it though. He's a goof.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    God Billy Corgan is such a douchebag. And this is coming from someone who likes the Smashing Pumpkins (pre 2001) more than Soundgarden. He just needs to go away.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    neither
    anytime corgan opens his mouth it is to get media attention

Cornell should have just not said anything cause who cares about what he did to help him years ago. Cornell not responding until now smacks og him trying to get attention on the release of his new album

corgan made the statements back in August. Also not widely mentioned is how Chris said when SP reformed that he did not find the band to be "legitamate"

So of course billy is goign to have hard feelings.

They should both shut up and make better music.

end rant

edit corgan also name dropped pavement and "all thos other bands forming" and the guys from pavement either never heard or don't care. (i'm sure BC doesn't care for them much after they kind of slam them in range life but whatever)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    Cornell not responding until now smacks og him trying to get attention on the release of his new album

Well, it's not like Cornell just came out and said something, the question was asked of him in a recent interview, which are coming more frequently with the release of the new album, so it was bound to come up. He probably should have taken the high road, but it is what it is.

And yeah, he probably shouldn't have made the comment about the current lineup of SP, but he was saying what many people are thinking. And there might be some people thinking what Billy is saying, I don't know.

Little squabbles like this don't feel very Rock N Roll to me. I know this isn't the first time or the last, but it always comes across pretty lame to me. Even when it's bands I like a lot more than these two.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    if i had to vote on which band to see....i'd vote pumpkins.

i don't listen to much of what artists say.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:

Seeing them live (in '97 with the original lineup) is actually what turned me off of them. I wasn't a big fan to begin with, but a casual fan. I'm still a casual fan, just much more casual. It was completely without soul or energy. I've never seen Soundgarden though, so I can't really compare. And maybe that SP show I saw was the exception. They were an opening act after all, but the other opening acts still managed to bring their A game and not come across like they had a grudge against the audience.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    81 wrote:

Seeing them live (in '97 with the original lineup) is actually what turned me off of them. I wasn't a big fan to begin with, but a casual fan. I'm still a casual fan, just much more casual. It was completely without soul or energy. I've never seen Soundgarden though, so I can't really compare. And maybe that SP show I saw was the exception. They were an opening act after all, but the other opening acts still managed to bring their A game and not come across like they had a grudge against the audience.

saw them in 2000, one of the greatest shows ever. then again, a party bus to the venue, lots of booze, smoke and ride home blowjobs tend to skew the rating. :lol:

caught one of the shows back in i think 08. it was solid, if not overly memorable.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I really like both bands but I am completely done paying attention to this crap. These guys are adults?

Billy has a big mouth and should focus more on playing music instead of yapping. He's got a right to an opinion, and the right to voice it... but when you do nothing but bash on a number of people, the general masses start to care less and less about what you have to say, and some might even stop giving your professional work attention because of the ass you make yourself out to be.

I think Billy might be hung up on his "celebrity status" and his ability to say dumb shit and know people will report on it.

Whatever makes him happy I guess, but personally I think both bands/artists' best years are behind them anyway.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,604
    Billy Corgan is a pretentious fuck, and talks just to hear himself talk. Kinda like Courtney Love.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    The more I hear about Corgan, the more I think he's just a bitter dick head. The evidence keeps building up.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    I think Corgan is fucking with the media and all of you. Let it go!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    81 wrote:

Sheer madness.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Here's a good interview with billy

http://blogs.detroitnews.com/poptropoli ... mayonaise/
  • Options
    djklambakedjklambake PHX, AZ Posts: 2,510
    I think Corgan is fucking with the media and all of you. Let it go!

I don't think he's that clever...
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    kramer73 wrote:
    Billy Corgan is a pretentious fuck, and talks just to hear himself talk. Kinda like Courtney Love.

At one point they were friends, and maybe even romantically involved. Maybe she rubbed off on him...
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    Hypocritical comment?...yes.
    Absurd comment?...no.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Well, it's not like Cornell just came out and said something, the question was asked of him in a recent interview, which are coming more frequently with the release of the new album, so it was bound to come up. .
    that is a very good point.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22