Coyotes

covered in blisscovered in bliss Posts: 1,332
edited November 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
I used to consider myself an animal lover but our neighborhood is under attack.

Last month alone, there were 52 coyote sightings reported in my town of 35,000 people. That's just reported.

There were 2 attacks, too, both within 4 blocks of me. One involved a single coyote getting over or under a 6 ft high chain link fence and almost attacking a small dog and the other involved 6 coyotes surrounding 2 yorkies, injuring one and stealing the other. It was found the next day... dead, of course.

A few years ago, the city trapped and killed 7 coyotes. Both sides were unhappy (too many killed, not enough killed) and now the city pushes a "coexist" program and lists "things you should do" on their website. The newest addition tells us to walk all small dogs on a leash, even in a fenced yard.

We see and hear coyotes all the time.. there is a large wooded and marshy area behind our house. During the day, when emergency vehicles go down the busy road with their sirens blaring, multiple Coyotes howl. Last March, a man was bitten in his yard a few towns away.

Any coyote problems in your neighborhood? Any creative ideas to keep them out of my yard that won't get me fined or thrown in jail? I'm thinking maybe some spikes or other kind of booby trap along the fence line? I'd rather not kill anything...a little owie is ok, though!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Dang, that's crazy.
    Sorry to hear that.
    I hope they can relocate the little buggers.

Closest threat to me is probably sharks, but they havent learned to walk yet.

I don't know if they make stuff for coyotes, but dont they make stuff you can sprinkle on the ground to ward off cats and dogs?
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    Whereabouts do you live? My parents live in Palatine and about a year ago a coyote grabbed their dog out of the yard and dragged it into the woods behind their house.

She got extremely lucky because my dad saw it happen, immediately called the cops and a cop happened to be right down the street when he got the call and he scared the coyote off, got the dog and rushed her to an emergency vet. She's doing OK now.

I live in the city and I've even seen coyotes running down our street.

I was reading something not too long ago about an area just south of O'Hare that has a thriving coyote population. The article was talking about how these predators were forced out of the city and are now coming back in because suburban sprawl has left them with little other choice.

Actually, my biggest problem is skunks. My dog has been sprayed three times in the last couple years.
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    as far as you know...

Seriously, though, if your area hasn't had coyote sightings, it's just a matter of time. Those fuckers are EVERYWHERE in America nowadays. (Well, maybe not Hawaii)
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    did a quick serch on the net, and it looks like besides putting up a 6' fence, you can spray wolf urine on your property to keep them away (the comments on Amazon are hilarious!)

good luck, (in my area we get to deal with the occasional bear or cougar)
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • JTH wrote:
    as far as you know...

Seriously, though, if your area hasn't had coyote sightings, it's just a matter of time. Those fuckers are EVERYWHERE in America nowadays. (Well, maybe not Hawaii)
    I bet the coyotes are saying the same thing and the deer and the bears...
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
  • kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    I’ve researched this a bit, and the gist is to keep your place unattractive for them to visit. Don’t leave food out (including trash) and get rid of bird feeders (they are attracted to the animals that use them).

Also, and this is somewhat counterintuitive, but if you see a coyote, you want to scare it away. Scream, shout, bang pots and pans, etc. Don’t try to attack it to hurt it or anything. If you’re worried about being attacked yourself, just stay near your door.

Get your neighbors in on it, too – it won’t do much good if it’s only you taking these steps. Good luck.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    I live in Schaumburg and spotted a coyote right behind my house at night when I was walking my dog a few months ago. He's a little guy so I scooped him up and ran in the house...I won't leave him alone at all outside now. I think the reason it was out there was because I left a water bowl outside when it was insanely hot over the summer for any animals as I'm an animal lover...didn't realize it would attract a coyote!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    I live in Schaumburg and spotted a coyote right behind my house at night when I was walking my dog a few months ago. He's a little guy so I scooped him up and ran in the house...I won't leave him alone at all outside now. I think the reason it was out there was because I left a water bowl outside when it was insanely hot over the summer for any animals as I'm an animal lover...didn't realize it would attract a coyote!

Enabler!

:lol: :wave:
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    kw18 wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

Enabler!

:lol: :wave:

Yeah, I've heard that before!

:lol:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,836
    From what I've seen on TV, you need an anvil.

Failing that, the beasts will probably get destroyed when one of their newfangled Acme products backfires on them.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • JTH wrote:
    as far as you know...

:lol: Damnit! Next they'll have lazer beams for eyes too!
    dankind wrote:
    From what I've seen on TV, you need an anvil.

Failing that, the beasts will probably get destroyed when one of their newfangled Acme products backfires on them.

:lol::lol: ...and Anvil sales go through the roof in the midwest. Invest in Anvils! That was one resilient coyote wasnt it
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Last month alone, there were 52 coyote sightings reported in my town of 35,000 people. That's just reported.

So that's 1 coyote for every 673 people or more if it's the same coyote being sighted more than once.
    I don't like the coyotes odds in this case.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I would say buy some land mines and a high powered rifle with a good scope.
  • madtowndavemadtowndave Posts: 4,012
    DS1119 wrote:

+1
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,788
    DS1119 wrote:

+1

from the ACME company :lol:

wile-e-coyote.png
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • JTH wrote:
    Whereabouts do you live? My parents live in Palatine and about a year ago a coyote grabbed their dog out of the yard and dragged it into the woods behind their house.

She got extremely lucky because my dad saw it happen, immediately called the cops and a cop happened to be right down the street when he got the call and he scared the coyote off, got the dog and rushed her to an emergency vet. She's doing OK now.

I live in the city and I've even seen coyotes running down our street.

I was reading something not too long ago about an area just south of O'Hare that has a thriving coyote population. The article was talking about how these predators were forced out of the city and are now coming back in because suburban sprawl has left them with little other choice.

Actually, my biggest problem is skunks. My dog has been sprayed three times in the last couple years.

i'm in wheaton, some of my in-laws live in palatine and they have mentioned issues there, too. as someone said... those fuckers are everywhere! :)

kw18-all of that is listed on the website. Carry a water bottle full of pennies and a walking stick, no gardens or compost piles. Our house backs right up to a huge natural area which used to be full of deer, racoons and possums. Now, we only see squirrels and coyotes. Its actually hard to remember to scare them away. 2 days ago I happened to look out the window at the right time and a coyote was walking around on the other side of my fence. He stopped and sat for a while, scratched his neck for a minute and then left. I was so mesmerized I forgot to go out and scream at it.

We didn't worry when our large lab was alive but it's just the 2 small dogs now. I don't even want the kids to take the dogs out, in case something happens and they see it.

It's insane that we have to live like this in such a large metropolitan area. --and speaking of guns... we found out a few weeks ago that there is a man on the outskirts of town (very secluded area).. he shoots coyotes. He started last spring and has gotten ELEVEN so far! If I didn't have small dogs, this would really piss me off and I'd probably turn him in. He's kinda my hero right now, though...