Options

Since MSG is comin up I wanna remind people about 2003

HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 4,556
edited June 2008 in Given To Fly (live)
Yes yes yes MSG1 2003 was the shit...but MSG2 was better!! :D I know i've said it for the past 5 years but I would like to remind everyone to listen to that bootleg and check for yourself!!

also...check out the ORIGINAL MSG2 2003 setlist!!

http://fivehorizons.com/tour/03/setlists_msg2.gif

the greatest setlist ever? ^^

07/09/03 - Madison Square Garden: New York, NY
attendance: 20,000
support act: Sleater-Kinney
set: Crazy Mary, Save You, Hail Hail, Whipping, Corduroy, Red Mosquito, Dissident, I Am Mine, Get Right, Given To Fly, Evacuation, Even Flow, I Believe In Miracles, Untitled/MFC, Deep, Present Tense, Nothingman, State Of Love And Trust, Porch
enc 1: You've Got To Hide Your Love Away, Elderly Woman, Glorified G, All Or None, Do The Evolution, Alive
enc 2: Go, Know Your Rights, Rockin' In The Free World, Yellow Ledbetter
notes: Unusual rip roaring 'Crazy Mary' starts off the set to a packed house at MSG for the second night in a row. Strong Ed voice on 'Hail Hail.' He addresses the crowd after a great version of 'Whipping,' telling them how special the previous night was for the band but that they "... have their work cut out for them because you guys always wanna make it better than the last." This spins into a strong 'Corduroy,' with the crowd loving it. 'I Am Mine' lyrics are changes to, "The in between is yours ... you are yours." Ed phones Johnny Ramone before 'I Believe in Miracles' but gets his answering machine. "Hey, Johnny. You fucker. Why aren't you home?" Then during 'Untitled,' "Johnny, I hope you get the message, or you're not home. I'll see you in a month or so ..." An absolutely beautiful 'Present Tense.' Ed gives props to Matt and mentions that the fourth Wellwater Conspiracy album is finished and should be released soon. He says he's glad because it means Matt will be available to record with PJ. 'Nothingman' is a great, huge singalong. Tight 'Porch' with a sweet bridge. Upon returning for the first encore, Ed starts reading signs in the crowd. "Garden, yes we're in the garden. That's good ... This one says 'play Leash you pussies'. You know, there's fucking children here, you know. You fucking cocksucking motherfucker asshole prick!" He mentions the fan club support and that last night there were 7,000 and tonight there are 8,000 fan club tickets represented. He thanks the fans and mentions hearing how fans have met via shows and become friends or lovers. He jokes how a couple ("I think they're from Jersey") met, married and is trying to have five kids to name them after the band. "So far they have Jeff, Stone and Mike and they're fucking right now trying to get a little Eddie. And if they get to Boom ... we're just gonna keep adding band members. We'll have a horn section ... that's evolution, baby." Ed starts to introduce 'All or None' but Mike goes into the first riff of "Glorified G" and they play that first. A heartfelt 'All Or None' leads to an incredible 'Alive.' As soon as Mike hits the solo, the entire arena begins the fist pump, simultaneously yelling "yeah" for the duration of the song. Ed scans the entire Garden in awe. Mike smashes his Gibson flying V at the end of 'Go.' A searing 'Know Your Rights' (played for Joe Strummer) encompasses the energy they had from the first note and leads gracefully into 'RITFW,' which blows the place up. Ed references phoning Johnny and leaving a message yet again in 'YL' ("I tried and I phoned and we only left a message; he wasn't there.") Mike intertwines a few of the unmistakable Hendrix doing the 'Star Spangled Banner' at Woodstock guitar wailings in 'YL' to close.
2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    swardsward Posts: 586
    I've often thought the MSG2 show in 2003 was the better one. But since I will be only going to the MSG1 show this year..I NEED it to be the best! It HAS to be. Just hope they don't hold out for night 2 to save some energy....*Sniff*
  • Options
    lostdawglostdawg Posts: 109
    Joe, you are one pumped up dude!!!! Hope to see you at the Garden- one night, I'm gonna wear my Avery tshirt (looks like a jersey, but it's not...) I know I haven't been around, but I see you sure as shit have!!! (and yeah, MSG II was an incredible fuckin' show!!)
  • Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    sward wrote:
    I've often thought the MSG2 show in 2003 was the better one. But since I will be only going to the MSG1 show this year..I NEED it to be the best! It HAS to be. Just hope they don't hold out for night 2 to save some energy....*Sniff*

same here! originally thought i was gonna go to msg 2, but it is msg 1 .. so hopefully that show takes the reigns!! hahahah .. they'll both be great
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    vitodacatvitodacat Posts: 468
    I agree with you

MSG II '03 is underrated

*Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member # 0003

wont let the light escape from me
    wont let the darkness swallow me
  • Options
    lostdawg wrote:
    Joe, you are one pumped up dude!!!! Hope to see you at the Garden- one night, I'm gonna wear my Avery tshirt (looks like a jersey, but it's not...) I know I haven't been around, but I see you sure as shit have!!! (and yeah, MSG II was an incredible fuckin' show!!)

hell yes!!! hows life been?? i went to va beach and camden 1...dc tomorrow...just warm up shows for the elite shows ;)

ill probably be there in my graves jersey or lundqvist shirt one of the nights
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    ladydocNYCladydocNYC Posts: 635
    I'm a novice compared to lots of you here, but if there's one thing I learned from my 2003 and 2006 experiences it's this: go to BOTH shows, dammit!! Both years I was bumming so hard that I went to one and not the other! Next week I'll be there MSG I AND MSG II!! Plus tomorrow in DC to warm up!
  • Options
    The last couple of times PJ has come to the tri-state area, they had a better set list on the first night. I ALWAYS get tix for the 2nd night, and I remember sometimes saying, "Wow, I can't believe I missed them play this song or that song". But it doesn't last too long because I've never been dissatisfied with a PJ show......EVER.
    "All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives"--Ed
  • Options
    matt770matt770 Posts: 134
    The last couple of times PJ has come to the tri-state area, they had a better set list on the first night. I ALWAYS get tix for the 2nd night, and I remember sometimes saying, "Wow, I can't believe I missed them play this song or that song". But it doesn't last too long because I've never been dissatisfied with a PJ show......EVER.

E. Rutherford 1 in '06 was quite possibly my favorite show ever but everyone talks about night 2 being better. I just don't get it.
  • Options
    Aliveguy1Aliveguy1 Posts: 50
    I remember taking my fiance (now wife) to her second PJ show, this one in her hometown (Her first show was from 4th row dead center at Penn State), and thinking at the first MSG show...jeez, this isn't quite as good as PSU. In fact it was very generic and they played many of the songs that I really have no need to hear in concert...
    Wishlist, Lukin, I Am Mine....
    Although some standout tracks were In My Tree ...

But right around Grievance...something changed and the band starting to catch fire. That didn't stop and from then on the show was just nuts. It was definitely one of the strongest encores I've ever seen and still one of my favorite shows. And yes, in my opinion, it was still better than a fantastic second night.
    4.7.94 9.29.96 10.1.96 6.29.98 8.20,22,23,25,26.98 9.10,11,13,15,16,19.98 8.3,4,6.00 8.23-25,27,28,29.00, 10.4.00, 10.9.00 4.29,30.03, 5.3.03 6.29.03 7.8,9,12.03 9.15,16.05; 6.24,25,27,28,30.08
  • Options
    xraygirlxraygirl Posts: 16
    MSG has to be the best place to see a show. I think they like being there. NY has such an electricity. MSG II last time rocked! I have II again this time and we are bringing newbies. They have no idea what they are in for!!! I can't wait!!!
    8/24/2000~Jones Beach-7/9/2003~MSG-7/14/2003~Homdel-6/1/2006~Continental-6/3/2006~Continental-6/25/2008~MSG-10/4/2009~Austin-5/18/2010~Newark-5/20/2010~MSG-5/21/2010~MSG
    -I don't wanna think, I want to feel