*** EV Tour Houston 2 Fanviews Here 11/13/12 ***

KatKat Posts: 4,846
edited March 2013 in Given To Fly (live)
Eddie Vedder
Jones Hall
Houston, TX
Nov 13, 2012

Show 2
Set List

01. Waving Palms (played live as intro music behind the curtain. Curtain rises halfway through song to reveal Ed)
02. Can’t Keep
03. Sleeping By Myself

(Ed asks how the audience is doing and then, “can I say something? It kind of reminds me of Chicago with the fire flies and all these little lights. It is the camera flashes. You know when you would capture the fire flies in a jar. That is kind of what I want to do with all these people taking pictures. So, just so everyone can enjoy the show let’s take 30 seconds and I will make all the faces I am going to make and you can take all the pictures you want.” Ed makes a series of faces. He says “Thank You! Good Night!!! Okay, now lets enjoy the rest of the show okay?”)

04. Without You
05. More Than You Know-(Rose, Eliscu, Youmans)
06. Light Today

(Ed says “Those were some quiet ukulele songs and this ukulele is from 1952 and is made by Gibson. It was the first one they put in pick ups and knobs on. I am only going to turn it up to two because to go any louder would break symphony rules....Welcome Houston, you know I spent a few years around here growing up and some of my first memories are from here. Like my mom cutting my hair and watching it blow away in the wind and then feeling this excruciating pain like my legs were on fire. My legs up to my knees were covered in fire ants. It looked like I had living socks. And then my uncle driving me in a car and us getting caught in a (tornado/windstorm?) and my uncle telling me we are going to be okay but I didn’t believe him. And I have been mining those early memories for material for the rest of my life. So thank you Houston for those first memories of pain and terror.”)

07. Loud Uke (new song. Same previous versions)

(Ed compares this song to about a relationship to a car. Talking about the excitement of an new car and a new love, “that new car smell...that new love smell” and how a couple have different tasks to keep the car up. Sometimes the car falls into disrepair and you have to get out and hitchhike.) [very paraphrased]

08. Thumbing My Way
09. You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away-(Lennon, McCartney)

(I did that song because I was asked to do it by Sean Penn for “I Am Sam” and speaking of Sean I am just gonna keep on going into the wild okay?)

10. Setting Forth
11. Far Behind

(The audience starts shouting requests and general noise. Ed says, “I hear ya, I hear ya. I just ain’t listening. I will listen later okay?”)

12. Guaranteed

(a woman in the audience shouts “can I have a guitar pick?” Ed says, “sure, let me use it first then I will give it to you.” He then checks in with the people in the upper balconies. “How are you guys doing up there? Are you as high as you look?”)

13. Rise

(Ed discusses his injury that only allowed him to play guitar for about 90 seconds before his arm went numb. He is happy that people were able to reschedule and come to the show. He hated postponing the show. The other hard phone call to make was to Glen Hansard who was scheduled to open. When Ed called Glen and said the tour was getting pushed back Ed relays Glen’s response in a dodgy Irish accent, “don’t worry about it. Just tell me when you want me and I’ll fucking be there.” So not only is Glen a great musician about a great friend.” -slightly off mic Ed says “terrible, terrible” referring to his accent and promises Glen he will stick to his Bruce (Springsteen) impersonation.)

14. Long Nights

(“I don’t know what to say about this song so I just won’t say anything”. He starts playing the song and continues, “except it is a true story...It really happened. It probably happened a million times...It is probably happening right now...Probably right in this room...I hope not.)

15. Betterman

(Ed claims he isn’t much of a shopper but “around this time of year you go shopping for other people and sometimes when you are shopping you find something for someone that you think looks pretty good and you end wanting to keep it. This next song is like that. It started off as a song about someone else and ended up being about me. I wish it wasn’t still so relevant to me..”)

16. Off He Goes

(George hands Ed a guitar but there appears to be some issue with it so Ed asks for another one. “Yeah, this one is a little happier to be in Texas)

17. Parting Ways

(Ed says someone gave me a great bottle of wine today and I was just reminded of that song “take a bottle down and pass it around”? Well, this bottle ain’t getting passed around, so thank you very much. He also says “since the band (Pearl Jam) hasn’t been here in like ten years I plan on reporting back to them about you so, Mat turn up the lights so we can see a little, so the band came together through disfunction and we wrote a lot about that and it looks like we all turned out pretty good.”)

18. Porch

Encore Break 1

(Ed thanks the audience. He compliments and encourages them on their singing noting that it sounds great in this great room. “It feels a little punk rock to play electric ukulele in a symphony hall and I couldn’t have done it without you. This next song took on a new meaning when somebody else did it. They made a video for it and it is really powerful and gave the song a new meaning. I think he heard about it through his son Lukas but I am really proud to have Willie Nelson and Lukas do a version of it.)

19. Just Breathe

(“I know I have told this story before but every time I place this song I want to do it like Willie does, it isn’t even my song anymore he is just so great he does it like this...” Ed sings ‘Just Breathe’ using Willie Nelson's style of phrasing and vocals and then goes right into..)

20. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town

(while vamping on “I Won’t Back Down” says “I want to dedicate this to my favorite person from Houston. He is no longer with us and I hope you know of him. Bill Hicks, and I am going to borrow this from Tom Petty for him.

21. I Won’t Back Down-(Jeff Lynne, Tom Petty)

(Speaking of Houstonians, one I just met last night. I don’t get to play this song unless I meet a woman who can sing it with me. I could do with with Glen but that ends being a sort of ‘Broke Back Mountain’ situation so let’s have her come up her, my new friend Moji.”

22. Tonight You Belong To Me w/ Mojisola Sehidat Abiola-(Rose, David)
23. Society w/ Glen Hansard-(Hannan)

(Ed tells Glen he wants to experiment. He has a new arrangement of the next song. He plays a very fast version of ‘Sleepless Nights’ which causes Glen to laugh. Ed laughingly says “fuck you it’s my show...okay, I have another experiment.”

24. Sleepless Nights w/ Glen-(Bryant, Bryant) [busking style at the edge of the stage. no mics or PA]

(Ed mentions his sister is a Houstonian and he wants to dedicate the next song to his sister, not because of the content but because it is a beautiful song)

25. Falling Slowly w/ Glen-(Hansard, Irglová)
26. Forever Young-(Dylan) Dedicated to Garret(?)

( Ed says the next song was a request by Billy. He wrote the song for a film and played all the instruments himself but to replicate it he would need to bring so many people on tour his tickets would cost $1100 dollars. He would also need a lot more hotel rooms. All for a song he plays about once a tour and is really an experiment so he is going to play an instrumental version off of his tape machine and sing along.)

27. Better Days
28. Rockin’ In The Free World-(Young)

Encore Break 2

29. Hard Sun w/ Glen Hansard & Mojisola Sehidat Abiola
30. Dream A Little Dream-(Kahn, Schwandt, Andree)

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you! :)

Glen Hansard Set List

Say It To Me Now
Pennies In The Fountain
Love Don’t Leave Me Waiting
Song Of Good Hope
The Gift
Low Rising
Way Back In The Way Back When
High Hopes w/ Mojisola Sehidat Abiola (Same woman as last night. Glen picked her out of the audience at a Swell Season show when they heard her singing along at the back of the venue)
Falling down,...not staying down
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AzWickerAzWicker Posts: 1,162
    edited November 2012
    Who made the poster? I love the 'Angel Eyes' from the good bad and ugly
    Post edited by AzWicker on
    Ed: 2011-07-09 2012-11-04
    PJ: 2011-09-03 2011-09-04
  • cmm6734cmm6734 Posts: 569
    Great show. Ed did not disappoint on night 2. I think I enjoyed the setlist better tonight than the previous night. The highlights for me were Thumbing My Way and Ed doing the camera poses.....haha

I think the audience had more hecklers tonight than the previous, yelling for songs that Ed probably couldn't play.

My 10c seats were better tonight, I had Orchestra, row J, on the right.

I hope everyone enjoyed the show!
    40+ shows, it is never enough!
  • Loved the show. Loved the set design, the sound at jones hall was superb, the crowd respectful aside from some annoying cell phone picture takers. Loved the covers. Night 1st setlist looks awesome on paper but I enjoyed tonight's set a ton. Off he goes was brilliant, love the Beatles cover since I'm seeing McCartney tonight, and that moji girl was awesome a very soulful singer who was really fantastic. Loved the encore with Glen off mic for sleepless nights.

I will say I went with a ten clubber. Last row on the floor. He did not seem amused nor did a chunk of others in the two rows in front of me who were all frustrated ten clubbers wondering why their seats were so far back.
  • RFTCRFTC Posts: 723
    Loved night 2, highlights were off he goes (emotional song for me) and parting ways. Thought the show was looser than night 1 and had some impromptu facets that made it special. someone should have a couple money shots when ed was posing for pictures as noted by kat.

looked like a bunch of people started splitting before hard sun closer and doors closed causing them to scramble back in for final 2 songs. overall h-town represented well and we hope to see pj in 2013 :corn:

special thanks to 10c member marc for the great tix, we hooked up via the texas pearl jam facebook group literally minutes before the gig, what a great community we have.
    San Diego Sports Arena - Oct 25, 2000
    MGM Grand - Jul 6, 2006
    Cox Arena - Jul 7, 2006
    New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival - May 1, 2010
    Alpine Valley Music Theater - Sep 3-4 2011
    Made In America, Philly - Sep 2, 2012
    EV, Houston - Nov 12-13, 2012
    Dallas-November 2013
    OKC-November 2013
    ACL 2-October 2014
    Fenway Night 1, August 2016
    Wrigley, Night 1 August 2018
    Fort Worth, Night 1 September 2023
    Fort Worth, Night 2 September 2023
    Austin, Night 1 September 2023
    Austin, Night 2 September 2023
  • just wow!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    Wow, sick set list! Wish I had been there. More fanviews please! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • Thumbing my Way!!!!! :D:D Sure wish I had been there for that one! I have faith that one day I will hear that song live, whether Ed solo or PJ. :thumbup: So, so glad to hear that Ed played it last night-all who were there were very fortunate indeed!! :D:clap::clap::clap:
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • pj8pj8 Posts: 408
    Man, YGTHYLA, Thumbing My Way, and Parting Ways? I was hoping he would save these for Dallas. What a great set list.
  • Wow!! There are no words - especially since I almost didn't come to this show because I'm seeing him in Dallas on Thursday.

Ed was so chatty, and was having so much fun tonight. I know it's been said SOOOOO many times, but I would buy EVERY boot from his solo shows - and this one for me was an instant HIT!

I wanted to add my highlights, but honestly, I'd just be repeating the entire setlist - including Glen's set. I saw Glen/Eddie in Detroit in 2011, and the crowd in Houston was so into Glen's set - wonderful to see - and Glen responded with a fabulous sing along of his own (Way Back In The Way Back When).

CAN NOT WAIT FOR THURSDAY!!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

06/26/2011 - EV - Detroit, MI
    09/03 and 09/04/2011 PJ20 - Alpine Valley
    06/20 and 06/21/2012 - PJ - Manchester, UK
    11/13 and 11/16/2012 - EV - Houston, TX and Dallas, TX
    07/29/2013 - PJ - Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL

11/15/2013 - PJ - Dallas, TX
    11/16/2013 - PJ - Oklahoma City, OK
    10/03/2014 - PJ - St. Louis, MO
    10/08/2014 - PJ - Tulsa, OK
    10/12/2014 - PJ - ACL Festival, Austin, TX
  • I knew I should have stayed for one more night! :fp:

Damn it! Damn it all to hell!
    Seen the Best Rock Band on the Planet a few times here and there.
  • shepshep Posts: 5,765
    edited November 2012
    Last show of my 2012 tour... and it'll be my first review :D.

First of all, thanks to 10C for my tickets. They were just fucking spectacular. Row L, dead center. I was pretty much eye level with Ed... This makes up for the last row in the Orcestra you gave me in Austin 1. :P

Oh, and congrats to Chad on getting that bottle of wine to Ed, and being the proud new owner of a signed Benny. Lucky Bastard :D.

The show tonight was great. At the first break Kat mentions, Ed did a bunch of poses for the crowd, including standing up, putting on an angry face, and doing a "rock star pose" for the crowd with the Uke... it was hilarous... and after that most of the crowd put away the cameras and the flashes stopped until towards the end of the 1st encore, when they started a little again... but oh well.

Gotta say, there were a lot of hecklers there tonight, and good on Ed for playing right though them. It amazes me that people can't just shut up and listen, but I didn't let it ruin my show.... All I could do was laugh when the girl in front of me yelled "Oceans" and "Singles" 3 or 4 times, but she was super excited and loving every minute of the show, so good on her.

The Loud Uke song is impressive... right as Ed ripped out the first cord he says "Uke's got Balls" into the microphone... just perfect.

Highlights songwise had to be thumbing my way (love that tune), Hide your Love Away, I Won't back down.... the girlfriend really loved Rockin' in the Free World and Sleepless Nights.

The buskar version of sleepless nights was just incredible... Jones Hall is a huge room (can house over 3000 people) built in the 1960's, but the acoustics are amazing, and he pulled it off. I hope it sounded as good for the people in the back. I didn't think he was going to play it that way after he did the "new arrangement" just based on the size of the room, that took a lot of balls.

And finally, Moji has an incredible voice. I could listen to her sing all night. Everyone who reviews this needs to give her props, as you could tell there was a lot of nerves being up on stage in front of all those people... but she nailed it.

All in all, a great end to my 2012 run of dates. Thanks Ed and the crew for sticking to your tour committment in the south, despite all the obsticles.

And yea, for the record, it was me who led the boos when you talked about not being in Houston for a very long time (on both nights)... I hope you give us a glowing report card and come back with the rest of the band very, very soon.

EDIT: for anyone posting who was at the show and may have bought the t-shirt/postcard set, and doesn't particularly want/need the postcard, I would really like to get it from you for a project I'm working on. Please drop me a PM. Willing to shirk over a few dollars for the postcard. Thanks!
    Post edited by shep on
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Wow! That pretty much sums up my feeling about last night's set. I was originally only supposed to see EV for Night 1 but at the last minute scored a ticket to last night's show and I am so glad I did. I honestly didn't think night 1 could be topped but Eddie pulled out all the stops. The night before I had Ten Club tickets Row U dead center...tonight's were Row Q to the right. A little closer but I had people walking past me all night. That venue really needs a center aisle!

I actually thought N2 was better for hecklers and pictures...glad Eddie did the picture posing thing because that cut down a ton. I'm just so glad everyone finally stopped screaming when Ed and Glen sang Sleepless nights with no mics. That was such a treat!!!

I never thought I'd see a Better Days live so that was awesome and all of the covers were excellent, especially I Won't Back Down and YGTHYLA. But my favorite song of the night was definitely Thumbing My Way!!

I just hope it's not another 10 years before EV or PJ play Houston!!!
    2000/10/15 - Houston, TX
    2003/04/05 - San Antonio, TX
    2003/04/09 - Birmingham, AL
    2007/08/05 - Chicago, IL - Lollapalooza
    2009/10/03 - Austin City Limits TV Taping
    2009/10/04 - Austin City Limits Music Festival
    2022/05/20 - Las Vegas, NV
    2022/09/18 - St. Louis, MO

EV Solo
    2012/11/12 - Houston, TX
    2012/11/13 - Houston, TX
  • I can echo the sentiments of everyone here. This was an awesome show. Jones Hall has some flaws, but the sound is amazing! It was so great for Eddie to be here and share some of his memories of Houston.

My favorites were Thumbing My Way and Off He Goes, but it was great when Ed picked up the tempo. Rockin' in the Free World was so much fun.

Ed's return after Hard Sun to give us a special treat with Dream a Little Dream was the perfect ending.

Hoping that the band decides to do a southern tour. :D
  • Wow what a night.

The whole set was fantastic, special higlights for me were Parting Ways and Falling Softly. From other shows ive been at the crowd has done a great job if they can get another song after Hard Sun, so well done Houston part 2. Pity so many left, not sure how its confusing when the house lights arent up. Guess they had to rush home and get all those videos and photos on facebook and youtube. Seemed to be lots more energy in the room last night compared Monday but i loved both shows.

Cheers to my 9 signed poster friends, that was a long afternoon. The poster is awesome and will be going straight to the pool room.

Next stop Dallas after a kidney rest tonight.
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    barger395 wrote:
    I knew I should have stayed for one more night! :fp:

Damn it! Damn it all to hell!
    YOU WEREN'T AT NIGHT 2????????? :fp: :fp: :fp:

You should ALWAYS stay for night 2 of a 2 night run. Always. You won't make this mistake again. :mrgreen:
  • AzWicker wrote:
    Who made the poster? I love the 'Angel Eyes' from the good bad and ugly

The poster by Rhys Cooper...he's amazing!!!

Check out his online for other examples of his work: http://studioseppuku.bigcartel.com/
    2000/10/15 - Houston, TX
    2003/04/05 - San Antonio, TX
    2003/04/09 - Birmingham, AL
    2007/08/05 - Chicago, IL - Lollapalooza
    2009/10/03 - Austin City Limits TV Taping
    2009/10/04 - Austin City Limits Music Festival
    2022/05/20 - Las Vegas, NV
    2022/09/18 - St. Louis, MO

EV Solo
    2012/11/12 - Houston, TX
    2012/11/13 - Houston, TX
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388
    First, thank you Ed and 10Club for tickets. Very satisfied both nights.
    Was beat Tuesday after working all day Monday, going to the show then doing all over again. All changed when the music started, Glen and Ed…wow what a show. Glen and Ed’s energy was on, much better, I thought, than the night before. Believe they may have celebrated after Austin gig a bit too much, but they were well rested for night two and it showed.
    Proud of my Houston comrades and all those that visited. Compared to what I’ve heard at other shows, and the EV show I attended in Chicago, Houston folks were mostly respectful, courteous and acted as adults. Ed comparing people that took pictures to fireflies and how he used to put them in a jar and set on shelf and they then died was great. Made a big difference, especially when he asked the crowd for acknowledgment and most folks screamed in agreement. Put a bit of pressure on those with their pacifiers (smart phones). Hell, when Ed and Glen did their analog set ,the entire crowd was silent throughout. Amazing, felt much better about my fellow humans.
    Crowd was much more into the music tonight, we did some decent singing. Who knows, Ed may bring back the “fella’s”. Ed if your reading, please take a chance, I travelled thousands of miles to see you, please come to The Woodlands Cynthia Woods Pavilion right down the street from my house……you can even visit and we’ll hangout, will keep in on the downlow.
    Enjoyed seeing Ed being proud of himself after certain songs…..think he may have done a fist pump after nailing few songs. It’s all him up there, got to give him credit for that. He delivered.
    Incredible night, just incredible. Now how do I see PJ/Ed again soon?!?!
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Another amazing show! "Hide your love away", "tonight you belong to me", "forever young", "off he goes" (yessssss!!!), thumbing my way. :mrgreen: Had a great time. :mrgreen: Highlight had to be better days though. :mrgreen:

Great seats in the orchestra pit Row H. Thank you 10c! :D

Had Tier seats the first night in the balcony, but still a very good view. :mrgreen:

Thanks Again, and Thanks to Ed for coming to Houston. :mrgreen:
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388
    red mos wrote:
    Another amazing show! "Hide your love away", "tonight you belong to me", "forever young", "off he goes" (yessssss!!!), thumbing my way. :mrgreen: Had a great time. :mrgreen: Highlight had to be better days though. :mrgreen:

Had Tier seats the first night in the balcony, but still a very good view. :mrgreen:

Hey Red.....sat few seats to your right....recongized you and said hi after the show. :)
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • YLed2YLed2 Posts: 5,534
    Fantastic set list and looks like another great show. He's on fire this tour.
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    callen wrote:
    red mos wrote:

Hey Red.....sat few seats to your right....recongized you and said hi after the show. :)

yes sir, you sure did. Good to see ya. :mrgreen:
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • dwhite76dwhite76 Posts: 2,801
    IF you were at this show Please read. Thank You :D

Hey all, Im looking to finish my collection of the small postcards that came with the EV City specific T-Shirts.
    I have things to trade and may be able to purchase for the right price.

I Have these post cards to trade a 1 for 1 if you have multiple and are looking to finish a collection also.

FOR TRADE
    Las Vegas
    Clearwater
    Phoenix
    **Plus any other Boots, PJ/EV Merch,PJ posters,hoodies,EXCERERA,**

I would apreciate any help. I want to complete this set real bad. Heres the ones I need. Thank You.

I NEED
    1.El Paso
    2.Memphis
    3.Tulsa
    4.Houston
    5.Jacksonville
    6.Dallas

I have many things to trade from all years of merch. Thanks again :D
    Some words when spoken...Can't be taken back...
  • buck502000buck502000 Posts: 8,951
    Anyone have the postcard that came with the shirt? Please PM me. Cheers.