Hotel in nyc

mattdinglemattdingle Posts: 180
edited November 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Hi anybody recommend any nice hotels in NYC.
Matt
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I can recommend some expensive ones. All of them.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Le Parker Meridien and The Essex House.
  • Stayed at the Doubletree in Chelsea earlier this year if you are looking for a mid-priced one.
    Easy walk to some cool places and of course public transport.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Price range?
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Price range?
    whatever I need to spend , xmas present for ball & chain , want a nice hotel in good location . Seem's like theres a lot to choose . Maybe 200 a night .
    Matt
  • mattdingle wrote:
    Price range?
    whatever I need to spend , xmas present for ball & chain , want a nice hotel in good location . Seem's like theres a lot to choose . Maybe 200 a night .
    Matt

My suggestion rings in around 300-400 per night depending on date (weekday or weekend) and it is mid-range to low for 'nice places.'
    It is NYC in holiday time, everything is very pricey, sorry bro.
    Maybe BD knows a bargain spot, this is where I stayed in August for a weekend with my wife as well. (Was high 200s per night then) Was a clean and nice (albeit small) hotel in a great location.
    Good luck!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    $200 a night in manhattan gets you dollar inn off the i-90 ... my suggestion is hit priceline or hotwire and see if you can get lucky on a "nice" hotel for a discount ...

the reality is that you are gonna subway pretty much everywhere you go ... it's not like all the sites are in one spot you can walk to from any hotel ... most of the nicer hotels will be in decent enuf areas and close to a subway ...
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,836
    The Edison used to be a good one when I was a tourist. Right in Times Square. Broadway actors practice their lines downstairs in the Polish Tea Room (Cafe Edison), and the Italian restaurant Sofia's was in The Godfather -- I think the scene where Luca Brasi gets it.

There used to be a great hotel bar there as well called the Rum House, but that's gone, I believe.

Rooms are meh, but if you're just crashing there, it shouldn't be too bad.

With any hotel in NYC (from the high-end Waldorf to the flophouses in the Bowery, if there are any left), remember to inspect your room for bedbugs before getting too comfortable.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    Hotel Gansevoort or the Warwick are two that I like. Gansevoort is in a really cool, trendy district in the city.
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    good luck. I've been looking for a hotel for a while. Friday and Saturday nights will be 300 plus. there are some deals for Sunday through Thursday.

Also add another 50-100 for taxes and fees.

before you hit the buy button read the reviews and go to

http://www.bedbugregistry.com

(the bed bugs must have taken over the servers)
  • if I have to spend 300 -400 i will spend. you can get fitzpatricks in lex ave for 1000 for four nights . is that a good location? oh currency is euro and goin 8th of jan.

matt
    mattdingle wrote:
    if I have to spend 300 -400 i will spend. you can get fitzpatricks in lex ave for 1000 for four nights . is that a good location? oh currency is euro and goin 8th of jan.

matt

check this place out.

http://www.ameritanianyc.com

They have a 10 percent off coupon code if you add twit.
    dude ... use hotwire or priceline ... you'll get a nice hotel ... just did a quick search checking in on the 8th and leaving on the 12th of january ... 4 star starting at $100 a night and 4.5 star for $200 and 5 star for $265 ... there will be some taxes and stuff but it's gonna be cheaper than any hotel you book ...

edit: just make sure you know what area the hotel is in ... so you don't end up in queens or the bronx ...
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,836
    polaris_x wrote:
    just make sure you know what area the hotel is in ... so you don't end up in queens or the bronx ...

Or Brooklyn. Stay out of Brooklyn. :P
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    just make sure you know what area the hotel is in ... so you don't end up in queens or the bronx ...

Or Brooklyn. Stay out of Brooklyn. :P

yeah ... not sure what's worse ... some of the rougher areas of the city or the hipsters ... :lol:
    keep the fanny pack at home
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    polaris_x wrote:
    edit: just make sure you know what area the hotel is in ... so you don't end up in queens or the bronx ...

and make sure you do not stay anywhere above 80th street in manhattan.

not sure what time of year you plan on going, but $200 a night is going to be very hard to come by regardless of month/season. you are easily looking between $300-$400.

you might be best off flying into newark airport, and staying at hotel (plenty to chose from) in jersey city, NJ and you can take the PATH train (subway that goes under the hudson river) right into manhattan. cost's $2.50 a trip and is only a 10 minute train ride.

that would make your $200 price range more realistic....
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    LloydXmas wrote:
    keep the fanny pack at home

avoid-looking-like-tourist.jpg
    Sometime you can pick up rates here in the mid200's. I've stayed here 5 or 6 times and it's very nice. Right across the street from the New York Times if memory serves me correct.

http://www.westinny.com/
  • drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
  • DS1119 wrote:
    Sometime you can pick up rates here in the mid200's. I've stayed here 5 or 6 times and it's very nice. Right across the street from the New York Times if memory serves me correct.

Yeah ... 43rd and 8th... Good pricing
    GoiMTvP.gif
    DS1119 wrote:

Yeah ... 43rd and 8th... Good pricing

If youre familiar with the hotel and remember the huge escalator that leads from the street level up to the lobby I dropped a piece of my luggage by accident from the top all the way down the escalator. People were jumping and running down the escalator like it was a bomb rolling down. :fp: :lol:
  • I stayed at something right by times square. As I recall, it was incredibly expensive.
  • I stayed at the Marriott Marquis last year. Great view of Times Square.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/n ... t-marquis/
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II