How I met Your Mother

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited October 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
I was curious to see if their are any fans here. Is it like Scrubs? Meaning, does it alternate between comedy and poignant drama?

I havent ever seen an episode, but im facinated with Josh Radnor or Ted. He seems to be very similar to my hero Zach braff. Both are jewish and look similar, both are filmmakers and have written, acted and directed a film, and in Josh's case, 2 films, both starred in sitcoms then went on to do films. And both seem to corner the same market, Garden State and Last Kiss and Zach's play All New People, and Josh's Happythankyoumoreplease, and Liberal Arts, are all about 20-30 somethings finding their way in life.

So, is HIMYM in the same tone as Scrubs? One of my favorite things about scrubs was the ending monologue that always had some profound truth and moral to it, is something similar on HIMYM

I just saw Liberal Arts and while I dont think it will be a huge hit, I liked it, because I like the themes and topics.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• If you get a chance, watch an episode or two. You'll be hooked. It's hilarious. I get to watch mostly at the gym. I'm usually on the excerscise bike, which is safer than being on the treadmill. It's falling off funny.
    Mooooooooooosby
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
  • KnZiE94KnZiE94 Posts: 158
    It's a very funny show. It's definitely worth watching!
    BRAD- April 21, 2012 Seattle, WA
    BRAD- April 27, 2012 Seattle, WA

Pearl Jam- September 30, 2012 Missoula, MT
    Pearl Jam- November 30, 2013 Spokane, WA
    Pearl Jam- December 6, 2013 Seattle WA
  • i watch it just to see whats going to happen in the end.this is the last season..
    .the last 2 season let me down
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    And we have the Mom... Will get me back into the show after a couple of crappy years...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    it wa a dark rainy night. neither one of us had an umbrella....

so we decided to duck into the corner bar....

9 months later...there you were.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,421
    Never watched 1 episode.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Good show..why no On Demand for comcast? Weird.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    It's a good show, but not as good as Scrubs.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • Nevermind90Nevermind90 Posts: 722
    Back when I was watching Scrubs I liked it more but now I think scrubs is jsut boring. HIMYM is great but The Big Bang Theory is just the best.

:)
    ~ Enjoy The Struggle
  • zagizagi Posts: 414
    does anyone else think mother looks like half lily half robin ?
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    zagi wrote:
    does anyone else think mother looks like half lily half robin ?
    Yes!!! A bit creepy :?
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • So they're really going to have the entire season be the wedding weekend??? Would like to see some more of the mother, but it has been pretty brutal so far.
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I watched it for probably 6 years, then I gave up on it. And I RARELY (in fact right now I can't think of another example) give up on a show when I've invested that much time in it. But I thought it started to get incredibly stale and gimmicky. I wasn't alone, but I know some people who still enjoy it.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • jethrojam420jethrojam420 Posts: 1,075
    I watched it for probably 6 years, then I gave up on it. And I RARELY (in fact right now I can't think of another example) give up on a show when I've invested that much time in it. But I thought it started to get incredibly stale and gimmicky. I wasn't alone, but I know some people who still enjoy it.
    I missed it tonight. I try not to. Not because I even like the show anymore. I am pretty sure I don't. For me, its like Elaine and the free sub. I just want to see how he meets the damn mother lol.
    8/29/00*5/2/03*7/2/03*7/3/03*7/11/03*9/28/04*5/24/06*6/28/08*5/15/10*5/17/10* 10/16/13*10/25/13* 4/28/16*4/28/16*8/5/16*8/7/16 EV 6/15/11 Brad 10/27/02
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I missed it tonight. I try not to. Not because I even like the show anymore. I am pretty sure I don't. For me, its like Elaine and the free sub. I just want to see how he meets the damn mother lol.

The mother was one of the things that led me to stopping. They ran that gimmick of teasing us who the mother was into the ground so hard that I was just like "I don't even give a fuck anymore".
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    What an awful finale. Just plain awful....not sure what else to say about it.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,912
    bluegrace said:

It's a good show, but not as good as Scrubs.

that's what I would call "setting a low bar"

doogie howser annoys me
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    That sucked.....seemed like they missed chances in that episode to have have a really impactful ending and skipped over them for the most obvious ending possible.
  • PorchsitterPorchsitter Posts: 1,069
    I won't go so far as to say the finale ruined the entire show for me (it really didn't) like some I've read around the internet. Yes, it was bad, but if I'm truly honest with myself the past two seasons have been just as bad with only a few good episodes and this season was completely maddening so it shouldn't have come as a shock. I completely agree with everybody's complaint about the finale, but the earlier seasons are still great television.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823

I won't go so far as to say the finale ruined the entire show for me (it really didn't) like some I've read around the internet. Yes, it was bad, but if I'm truly honest with myself the past two seasons have been just as bad with only a few good episodes and this season was completely maddening so it shouldn't have come as a shock. I completely agree with everybody's complaint about the finale, but the earlier seasons are still great television.

Yeah , it has been pretty rough the past couple of seasons, but this finale was just bad. The mother Ted has been looking for for 9 seasons dies? Also, the wedding they just spent the whole season on...they just get rid of that marriage within a few mins???

Obviously they filmed the reaction from Ted's kids way back in the day when the show was still new so they kinda painted themselves into a corner with Ted eventually ending up with Robin. But the way they went about that was just brutal.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423

Yeah , it has been pretty rough the past couple of seasons, but this finale was just bad. The mother Ted has been looking for for 9 seasons dies? Also, the wedding they just spent the whole season on...they just get rid of that marriage within a few mins???

Obviously they filmed the reaction from Ted's kids way back in the day when the show was still new so they kinda painted themselves into a corner with Ted eventually ending up with Robin. But the way they went about that was just brutal.
    really enjoyed the 1st couple of seasons of this show but then it just got tired and no longer funny. I did watch last night's finale and yea kind of underwhelming at best. I've never been a big fan of comedy shows that try to do recurring stories. once you do that you tend to become a soap opera.
  • PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,316
    After a pretty rough season the final episode was awful.

They spend all this time building the mother up to be an amazing person, have Robin ditch her friends for her career, and then end the season by killing off the mother and having Ted go back to Robin?!?!