Selling my wife's car-is this a scam?

Hugh Freaking DillonHugh Freaking Dillon Posts: 14,010
edited November 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
I'm selling my wife's 1996 Hyundai Accent. It's in decent shape. Needs a $500 repair, which is why we're selling it. We don't need two cars, so why bother. This guy emails me and says he'll give me my asking price of $1000, but the suspicious part is that he wants to send me the money via paypal and then he'll send a shipping company to pick it up.

He saw pictures I took of the car, but he doesn't even want to come see it. And who doesn't haggle on a price?

Am a bit too paranoid, or is this guy setting me up to open a complaint to paypal, get his money back, AND keep the car?

I told him I reconsidered and cash or cheque only. He emailed back and said "I can only pay you through paypal". I actually thought with that email I wouldn't hear from him again.

Usually, if it's too good to be true,it is.

Thoughts?
Gimli 1993
Fargo 2003
Winnipeg 2005
Winnipeg 2011
St. Paul 2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,682
    I'd contact Paypal and make sure the transaction can't be reversed. If it can, I'd stick with cash or money order- a check/cheque could be just as risky.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• I'd avoid it.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • madtowndavemadtowndave Posts: 4,012
    I'd avoid it.

+1

The only way I think this would be legit is if he's looking to put it on his ccd.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • thanks guys. I appreciate the help.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    You could always hold the title and car until the paypal transaction clears. Then sign over the title and release the car to his shipping company.
  • DS1119 wrote:
    You could always hold the title and car until the paypal transaction clears. Then sign over the title and release the car to his shipping company.

yeah, but what if he then files a complaint with paypal after the fact, and ends up getting his money back? then I'm without money and without car. I'm not sure how that sort of thing works, as I've never had a claim against me on paypal before. I've only heard about it.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
    edited November 2012
    DS1119 wrote:

yeah, but what if he then files a complaint with paypal after the fact, and ends up getting his money back? then I'm without money and without car. I'm not sure how that sort of thing works, as I've never had a claim against me on paypal before. I've only heard about it.

That I'm not sure about at all. I guess checking with paypal would be the best and safest thing. I just wonder why the guy couldn't send you a bank check? I know to protect ourselves here at the dealership we require bank checks for payment of a car.
  • pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    seems way fishy to me
    aqo2t.jpg
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Tell him ti get a cashier check and mail it.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    Yep, scam...

SOmething similar has happened here in Australia...

Someone I know was selling a car and someone offered him the exact cash and to ship it to Adelaide from Sydney...

Know my geography is no good, but that is near on 1500km... So scam...
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I'm selling my wife's 1996 Hyundai Accent. It's in decent shape. Needs a $500 repair, which is why we're selling it. We don't need two cars, so why bother. This guy emails me and says he'll give me my asking price of $1000, but the suspicious part is that he wants to send me the money via paypal and then he'll send a shipping company to pick it up.

He saw pictures I took of the car, but he doesn't even want to come see it. And who doesn't haggle on a price?

Am a bit too paranoid, or is this guy setting me up to open a complaint to paypal, get his money back, AND keep the car?

I told him I reconsidered and cash or cheque only. He emailed back and said "I can only pay you through paypal". I actually thought with that email I wouldn't hear from him again.

Usually, if it's too good to be true,it is.

Thoughts?

Sounds fishy...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    is your wife aware of this?
    www.myspace.com
  • is your wife aware of this?

:lol:

yes, she asked me to. it's our car. I just didn't want to claim a Hyundai Accent as MINE. :lol:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,679
    is your wife aware of this?

yes, she asked me to. it's our car. I just didn't want to claim a Hyundai Accent as MINE. :lol:

2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,987
    Take the money.

Transfer it out of your paypal account and close the account.

If the shipping company shows up to pick up the car, I would say he was for real.

Don't listen to me though, I'm just thinking out loud... and I'm too trusting.

Fuck it. Scam. Gotta be. Just asked myself why anyone would want a Hyundai. that sealed the deal...

I'm kidding ;)
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • Take the money.

Transfer it out of your paypal account and close the account.

If the shipping company shows up to pick up the car, I would say he was for real.

Don't listen to me though, I'm just thinking out loud... and I'm too trusting.

Fuck it. Scam. Gotta be. Just asked myself why anyone would want a Hyundai. that sealed the deal...

I'm kidding ;)

Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
    SO how's this shaping up? :corn:
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    definitely scam
  • DS1119 wrote:
    SO how's this shaping up? :corn:

it's not. he sent me another email once I told him paypal was no good, he said that was his only option, and I didn't respond.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Scam central.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    81 wrote:
    They can scam those too. Tried to sell a bed on Craigslist and the dude wanted to send me double the asking price in a cashiers check.
  • always remember what the Wu Tang Clan taught us --- CASH RULES.

couple hundy on paypal - cool. a g for a car and he is paying for a shipping company to come pick it up? might as well ask him to throw in a couple freshly printed front row EV tickets as well
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    LloydXmas wrote:
    81 wrote:
    They can scam those too. Tried to sell a bed on Craigslist and the dude wanted to send me double the asking price in a cashiers check.

and send half the money back right?

:fp:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg