*** EV Tour Austin Fanviews Here 11/09/12 ***

SeaSea Posts: 3,015
edited December 2012 in Given To Fly (live)
Eddie Vedder
Bass Concert Hall
Austin Tx
Nov. 09, 2012
Show 1
Set List

01. Walking The Cow-(Johnston)
02. Brain Damage-(Waters)
03. Sometimes
04. Can’t Keep
05. Sleeping By Myself
06. Without You
07. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
08. Good Woman-(Chan Marshall)
09. Driftin’
10. Girl From The North Country-(Dylan)
11. Man Of The Hour
12. Setting Forth
13. Far Behind
14. Guaranteed
15. Long Nights w/ Glen Hansard
16. Lukin
17. Unthought Known
18. Rise
19. Parting Ways w/ Jake Clemons
20. Porch

Encore Break 1

21. I Am A Patriot-(Steven Van Zandt)
22. Just Breathe
23. Long Road (Dedicated to U. Of Texas Coach Darrell Royal)
24. Society w/ Glen Hansard-(Hannan)
25. Sleepless Nights w/ Glen Hansard-(Bryant, Bryant)
26. Falling Slowly w/ Glen Hansard-(Hansard, Irglová)
27. Drive All Night-(Springsteen) Glen plays acoustic guitar and sings lead. Ed plays pump organ and sings background vocals. Jake Clemons plays saxophone.
28. Arc

Encore Break 2
29. Yellow Ledbetter w/ Garth Wynn (possible Gareth)
30. Hard Sun w/ guests including Jake Clemons and Glen Hansard)

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you! :)

Glen Hansard Set List
01. Say It To Me Now-(busking style=no mics or PA)
02. Pennies In The Fountain
03. Love, Don’t Leave Me Waiting w/ Jake Clemons (of the E-Street Band) {Respect-(Redding)}
04. Your Hearts Not In It w/ Jake Clemons
05. Way Back In The Way Back When w/ Jake Clemons
06. High Hope w/ Amanda (Glen’s friend in Austin)
07. Astral Weeks w/ Jake Clemons-(Van Morrison) Smile-(Ament/Vedder)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PeterBPeterB Posts: 26
    Another incomparable EV show. An eclectic set list. Some powerful moments with Glen Hansard and Jake Clemons. And bawdy humor from Ed, who had some fun with the women providing sign language when he called Glen a cocksucker just to see it signed. He couldn't break out of the cocksucker jokes and abandoned Long Nights because as he said, "I can't do a serious song after that. ... I won't fake it."

Great stuff.
  • PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,316
    Great looking setlist! Parting Ways and Yellow Ledbetter!

This is a show that I need to hear.
  • Parting Ways with the sax accompaniment was pretty cool. Ledbetter was abandoned halfway through when the guitarist sort of got off (or maybe Ed did). It became an a capella thing between Ed and the crowd. Which was cool too.

Apparently, the way this guy got to play guitar on the song ... he was playing outside Ed's hotel this afternoon. He just happened to be playing Yellow Ledbetter. I guess Ed got him to the show and gave him a chance to play it on stage. It was a cool moment, even if it didn't quite work out as planned.

All in all, a 2 1/2-hour show and worth every minute. I'll be back Sunday.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • PS -- Apparently, the sign language for "cocksucker" is pretty much exactly what you'd envision it would be. Who knew? :)
  • SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,594
    PeterB wrote:
    Another incomparable EV show. An eclectic set list. Some powerful moments with Glen Hansard and Jake Clemons. And bawdy humor from Ed, who had some fun with the women providing sign language when he called Glen a cocksucker just to see it signed. He couldn't break out of the cocksucker jokes and abandoned Long Nights because as he said, "I can't do a serious song after that. ... I won't fake it."

Great stuff.

This right here is ACE...my insides hurt for not making it to this show...
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • morellomorello Posts: 6,212
    ^^^ cool stories from tonight's show. :) Cool about the busker & about the sign language. 8-)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,594
    Parting Ways with the sax accompaniment was pretty cool. Ledbetter was abandoned halfway through when the guitarist sort of got off (or maybe Ed did). It became an a capella thing between Ed and the crowd. Which was cool too.

Apparently, the way this guy got to play guitar on the song ... he was playing outside Ed's hotel this afternoon. He just happened to be playing Yellow Ledbetter. I guess Ed got him to the show and gave him a chance to play it on stage. It was a cool moment, even if it didn't quite work out as planned.

All in all, a 2 1/2-hour show and worth every minute. I'll be back Sunday.

The second paragraph....Makes me say this is why...
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • great set!!!woot
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • SemperFiSemperFi Posts: 136
    Looked like a great set list! Girl from the north country and Long Road! Hard to believe its been just over a week since the Vegas shows! I would love to hear a boot from this show! CHeers :D:D:D
  • It was a damn great show, it would be great if there was a rule against being drunk and yelling song titles all night. I like the way Ed put it, he's the chef...all we need to do is come in and enjoy the meal. Of course he said it more elequantly. Love the ending, arc was unforgettable, never get tiried of hearing Man of the hour. I hope everyone enjoydd it as much as my wife and i did.
  • silver39silver39 Posts: 1,346
    PS -- Apparently, the sign language for "cocksucker" is pretty much exactly what you'd envision it would be. Who knew? :)

:lol::lol::lol:
    "I'll ride the wave,Where it takes me, I'll hold the pain, Release me"
    "I'm not about to give thanks or appologize"
    "Caught a bolt of lighting, cursed the day he let it go"
  • awilkinsawilkins Posts: 984
    Ahem, can't wait to hear Drive All Night, Parting Ways, Long Road, hell the entire show...ahem.
  • Praying for a bootleg release! I love the way Ed changes it up at every show -they are all so special!! :clap::clap:
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • This was my first solo show and it was incredible! Parting Ways and Long Road were definitely the highlights for me but the entire show was amazing and i cant wait to do it again on Sunday. We met some fun people beside us and I was actually lucky enough to meet Eddie outside after the show!! Such a great night!
    I suggest you step out on your porch...
  • "Girl from the North Country" was a request dedicated to someone in the audience, from someone who was not at the show.

Ed called it a "singing telegram."

And it was great. One of the highlights of the show for me.
  • AlfonzAlfonz Posts: 125
    When Ed started talking about meeting someone from Zimbabwe, this girl a few rows behind me jumped up and started carrying on. Then he asked for that person to come on stage. She was beside herself and started marching towards the stage ... then a security guard said "I'm sorry, he's looking for a guy" and she went back to her seat. It was hilarious, she heard the words "Zimbabwe" and "come up on stage", and selectively filtered everything else out and thought he was actually asking her to get on stage.

Even though Yellow Ledbetter didn't quite work out, Ed turned it into another great moment when he went a capella style and had the whole placing singing along with him. Not sure that has been done before.
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    wow! Another great looking setlist.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Y'all, I just have to vent here for a minute. I was sitting by the king douchebag of the world last night. He was drunk and whooping and shouting jibberish constantly in the middle of verses and just the entire time. In fact he was the one who prompted EV to stop and say the thing about this is like coming to a nice restaurant where you let the chef bring you a great meal. Right before that the douche was shouting "play something heavy" repeatedly. EV called him out and said something about the disembodied male voice that kept shouting. This was right around Just Breathe and Long Road. Anyway, on top of that, he kept leaving (crawling over me) in between every few songs to get more beer, and the ushers kept crawling over me to tell him to sit down and shut up. Finally, a large burly guy came up and talked to him for a minute and I think threatened him with violence. I was grateful because he started being quiet at that point, sometime during the first encore.

I wasn't planning to go Sunday night because of the cost and having to get a babysitter, etc. But my husband thinks I should just get a single ticket and go since this jerk tainted a night I've been waiting for now for almost a year.

Nevertheless, the highlights for me were Man of the Hour, Unthought Known, Long Road, Guaranteed, Society and Falling Slowly with Glen, and Yellow Ledbetter just to name a few.
  • BH52100 wrote:
    Y'all, I just have to vent here for a minute. I was sitting by the king douchebag of the world last night. He was drunk and whooping and shouting jibberish constantly in the middle of verses and just the entire time. In fact he was the one who prompted EV to stop and say the thing about this is like coming to a nice restaurant where you let the chef bring you a great meal. Right before that the douche was shouting "play something heavy" repeatedly. EV called him out and said something about the disembodied male voice that kept shouting. This was right around Just Breathe and Long Road. Anyway, on top of that, he kept leaving (crawling over me) in between every few songs to get more beer, and the ushers kept crawling over me to tell him to sit down and shut up. Finally, a large burly guy came up and talked to him for a minute and I think threatened him with violence. I was grateful because he started being quiet at that point, sometime during the first encore.

I wasn't planning to go Sunday night because of the cost and having to get a babysitter, etc. But my husband thinks I should just get a single ticket and go since this jerk tainted a night I've been waiting for now for almost a year.

Nevertheless, the highlights for me were Man of the Hour, Unthought Known, Long Road, Guaranteed, Society and Falling Slowly with Glen, and Yellow Ledbetter just to name a few.

I'm pretty sure that guy tried to request Off He Goes. If Ed had played that, it would have made the 90 minutes of douchey-ness that preceded it well worth it. To me at least. That's my favorite song.
  • TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,476
    BH52100 wrote:
    Y'all, I just have to vent here for a minute. I was sitting by the king douchebag of the world last night. He was drunk and whooping and shouting jibberish constantly in the middle of verses and just the entire time. In fact he was the one who prompted EV to stop and say the thing about this is like coming to a nice restaurant where you let the chef bring you a great meal. Right before that the douche was shouting "play something heavy" repeatedly. EV called him out and said something about the disembodied male voice that kept shouting. This was right around Just Breathe and Long Road. Anyway, on top of that, he kept leaving (crawling over me) in between every few songs to get more beer, and the ushers kept crawling over me to tell him to sit down and shut up. Finally, a large burly guy came up and talked to him for a minute and I think threatened him with violence. I was grateful because he started being quiet at that point, sometime during the first encore.

I'm pretty sure that guy tried to request Off He Goes. If Ed had played that, it would have made the 90 minutes of douchey-ness that preceded it well worth it. To me at least. That's my favorite song.
    That would have been the only thing that could remotely take some of the stink off of these drunk, disrespectful, clueleess (need I go on) people that can deter the flow of a good show. IMO if Ed likes a city, venue, crowd you are going to get a better show than not. Case and Point Las Vegas. With that said there were idiots in front at both Vegas Shows but we were able to keep them at bay for the most part.
  • To be fair, I thought the audience last night was more well-behaved than earlier solo shows I've been to ... and certainly better behaved than some of the audiences I've heard on various recordings.

For some reason, not every person in a 5,000 seat venue is going to be able to sit in stone silence for 2 1/2 hours without yelling things out. They like the attention and the validation Ed gives them when he acknowledges them, even in a negative way. Probably, they weren't hugged enough as children.

Once you accept this reality, it makes the show go smoother. People are going to yell things out. You can't control them. You can only control yourself, and hope that it's just one or two idiots as opposed to one or two dozen, like I've heard some places.
  • brainofebrainofe Posts: 263
    Last night was epic! My first Ed solo show. One of the highlights for me was when he started talking about weed being legalized in Washington. That somehow led to him talking about the infamous town near El Paso that always stops tour buses to inspect for drugs. He said something along the lines of it having a population of 550 or 551 if Fiona Apple is in town. It was hilarious!!
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • After 19 PJ shows this was my first Ed show. Had a great time at the Wishlist Fundraiser before the show. I was disappointed with my 10C tickets being in the balcony, but I got over it once we were in the room. It kinda felt like Ed was a mad scientist trying different combinations of ukes, guitars, organs, sax, etc. and it just felt very experimental and loose. It was interesting how much love he gave to former Texas football coach Darryl Royal dedicating Man of the Hour and Long Road to him. My appreciation for Parting Ways grew greatly last night, and I had never seen Ed perform Arc and that was very cool. Everyone has covered all the fun Ed was having with Glen and the ladies doing the sign language. Even though the Yellow Ledbetter thing did not work out so well, the sing-along with the crowd was great. Who says no one knows the words to Yellow Ledbetter! It was also very cool when Ed and Glen came to the front of the stage and sang together without microhpones to a completely quiet (for once) audience. The biggest highlight was meeting Ed after the show and asking him to bring his friends back to Texas with him. A great experience and I am looking forward to Sunday.
    Touring Fan since 1996
  • To those of you in the balconies at these shows, or anything greater than 10 rows back from the stage, I can promise you there is no smartphone camera technology that will give you a fantastic photo of Eddie on stage. So why don't you put the camera away and remember the moment, not the memory of you repeatedly trying to take a shitty photo, despite being asked by the venue and 10C not to do so MANY different times.

Amazed by how many people disregarded that last night, with camera flashes everywhere. Not even a Tupac hologram joining EV on stage should necessitate taking photos during the show.
  • To be fair, I thought the audience last night was more well-behaved than earlier solo shows I've been to ... and certainly better behaved than some of the audiences I've heard on various recordings.

For some reason, not every person in a 5,000 seat venue is going to be able to sit in stone silence for 2 1/2 hours without yelling things out. They like the attention and the validation Ed gives them when he acknowledges them, even in a negative way. Probably, they weren't hugged enough as children.

Once you accept this reality, it makes the show go smoother. People are going to yell things out. You can't control them. You can only control yourself, and hope that it's just one or two idiots as opposed to one or two dozen, like I've heard some places.

I totally get this. I love the real fans' enthusiasm. And honestly felt a bit stifled myself in this format/venue. I felt like the sign language interpreters were the only ones able to really get into the music physically since we were all pretty stuck in our seats until the end. It's just that this guy was right next to me in my left ear all night. I should say that I had a great time. This was my first solo show, and I thought EV was amazing, funny, energetic, playful and it all seemed very organic and improvisational. I feel bad complaining.
  • BH52100 wrote:
    To be fair, I thought the audience last night was more well-behaved than earlier solo shows I've been to ... and certainly better behaved than some of the audiences I've heard on various recordings.

I totally get this. I love the real fans' enthusiasm. And honestly felt a bit stifled myself in this format/venue. I felt like the sign language interpreters were the only ones able to really get into the music physically since we were all pretty stuck in our seats until the end. It's just that this guy was right next to me in my left ear all night. I should say that I had a great time. This was my first solo show, and I thought EV was amazing, funny, energetic, playful and it all seemed very organic and improvisational. I feel bad complaining.

Yeah, I was getting annoyed with that guy at points, too, and I was up in the balcony. Could only imagine how irritating it would be to have him in the seat right next door.
    BH52100 wrote:

I was two rows behind that guy. I was doing my best to restrain myself all night, mainly at the request of my friend (I will normally have no problem telling people to shut the fuck up) ... but finally lost it when he screamed out in Just Breathe and I leaned over and tried to get his attention by hitting him with my poster. He just flat out refused to acknowledge me. Then the big burly guy came down and gave him a talking to. Maybe the big guy saw me and decided to do it properly himself.

To be honest, I think he only quietened down somewhat at the end because he was so drunk that eventually he was reduced to a zombified state. Near the end of the show there was nobody within 5 seats either side of him. He disappeared before the end as well.

I have never seen anything like it in my life. Before the show he started saying "the people in this area need to raise the roof when Eddie comes on". The way he said it, and the way that he looked ... I took one look at my friend and said, "I am concerned. This is going to be trouble, I can tell". But never did I think it would be that bad. Undoubtedly the single biggest asshole I have ever encountered in all my years of concert going (and I probably see 2 shows per week on average).

Lucikly, Eddie was so good, that it didn't manage to stop the show from being fantastic (for me, with just that little buffer zone of being a few rows back).
  • KN219077KN219077 Posts: 1,077
    why, oh why, aren't EV solo shows put on to bootlegs. :nono: Shame on you ten club.
  • Everything about this show was wonderful. 8-)
    To be fair, I thought the audience last night was more well-behaved than earlier solo shows I've been to ... and certainly better behaved than some of the audiences I've heard on various recordings.

I see where you are coming from, but this guy being mentioned was beyond belief.

I tried to turn his woops into a game in order to make it less annoying. It was mildly amusing at first as the tally rose at a rapid rate. But the amusement quickly wore off. I stopped counting at about 37 woos after 6-7 songs. Every time anybody else in the crowd screamed, he would use it as a cue to do the same. On top of this he would initiate his own screams at least 4 times in the middle of every single song.

If I hear him carrying on during Sunday's show (and it will be unmistakeable), I will hunt him down and break his legs.