Deer by the highway

mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,857
edited November 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Gotta say as a truck driver, I'm seeing some horrific shit. Thank god I've yet to hit one myself. Couple close calls. Today takes the cake though. US23 in Ky. Dog having breakfast in the median. Fresh deer was the meal. Fucker( the dog) was still there 3 hours later when I drove back the other way.
_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    It's even funner when you hit them. I've had two run ins with those fuckers.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,857
    Dont know if I could stomach that. We were taught to floor it and dont swerve. Still not sure how I would react.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Dont know if I could stomach that. We were taught to floor it and dont swerve. Still not sure how I would react.
    Yeah, you really cant plan on how you'll react. Your instincts will just kick in.
    The first dear I hit actually ran into the side of my car. I was going along and all I saw next was the head of a deer right in the left side of my field of vision. Scared the crap outta me. I had to have killed it, thankfully the damage wasnt too bad. It crushed in my front left panel above my wheel and damaged my driver door a little bit.
    Had a couple close calls. One ran clear across the road with some traffic going the opposite direction. Then a younger was near its mom(dead) starting to head toward traffic., Thankfully my airhorn scared it back toward the farmfield behind it.

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    never swerve for animals...sorry charlie.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    never swerve for animals...sorry charlie.
    but I would likely try to brake, at least some. I dunno. Roads I run and the hours I do....

I really should ask the office how many drivers hit one yearly on this account.

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    http://www.wikihow.com/Avoid-a-Moose-or-Deer-Collision

I had a friend who hit a deer in her mustang 5.0, you could see where his ribs made dents in the hood.

Here mickey...

State-Farm-Map-630x472.jpg
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    lot of dead ones on the side of roads around here and I see a few by live ones near the house too.
    Yep, Pa is definitely a high risk state. I hit both deer when I was living there.
  • It can all be avoided if they will just take more care with deer crossings:
    http://thechive.com/2012/10/17/quite-po ... FphMm5a.01

In all seriousness, I am terrified to death of hitting a deer. I hope that I never experience anything so horrific.
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,679
    last decemeber i was driving from Ontario to Flint Michigan, takes me exactly 1 hr hr to get to the airport once we clear the boarder and the i counted 42 dead deer on the highyway, who knows how many I missed before I started counting.......that was alot of death on the side of the highway
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I had a deer jump over the hood of an Explorer I was riding in once on the New York State Thruway. Driver never touched the brakes or swerved it was that quick. :shock:
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,788
    kinda funny you posted this. My sister said she just clipped one earlier today. Didn't do any damage to her car and I think the deer wasn't hurt. SHe said she put on the brakes in time.

I've seen deer run in fron of my car and also seen them on the side of the road plenty of times, but have never hit one (knock on wood) yet.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    i live near valley forge park in pa...those fuckers are EVERYWHERE up and down 422. i can't believe i have no hit one yet actually.

keep your head on a swivel mick...do the same thing if you ever find yourself in the middle of a viscous cock fight too.
    www.myspace.com