Options

America's voting system is a disgrace

2»

Comments

• Options
    PJFAN13 wrote:
    I honestly am not suggesting superiority on the US part. I am sorry if that is how it is coming across, honestly. Wow. Plus the main point of Mr. Frum's article is, and I quote: Politicians of one party do not set voting schedules to favor their side and harm the other. Politicians do not move around voting places to gain advantages for themselves or to disadvantage their opponents. In fact, in almost no other country do politicians have any say in the administration of elections at all.
    It is broken. It is screwy. We need a fix. My point comparing the other countries isn't USA is better, its just nobody I've ever talked to, worked with, conversed with is rushing to those countries because their voting methods are so superior. Again, sorry it isn't clear.
    This is not an "us vs them" thing. I'm not being antagonistic. Please...calm down. Really. The US system is flawed.
    happy election day

even if your point was to say that people aren't emigrating out of america because Canada's/Germany's/Britain's voting system is so superior, that's kind of a bizarre point to make.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Lawyers = Trouble

A lot of politicians are lawyers.

Casting the votes is pretty easy. The court system is the disgrace.
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    dignin wrote:
    dignin wrote:

No kidding, I'll go find a Fox new report to show the exact opposite!!!

Doesn't change the fact that there are huge lines of minorities waiting in line to vote for hours.
    that's what I was going to say......all the affluent white dudes in this thread saying "well I've never had a problem"...
    So is there a campaign of intentional vote suppression and manipulation? Is it more prominent in black and hispanic neighbourhoods? and if so....does that point a finger more at the GOP than the dems? Or is that just something that pesky liberal media wants us to believe?

I follow freelance writer Greg Palast on fb.......he has a new book out called Billionaires and Ballot Bandits.....his status updates for the past few weeks have been about nothing but how fucked the system is: how blatantly the election can and is manipulated.
    I won't bother posting all the links....but there are a ton of articles and lots of video footage of poll lineups a thousand long in Florida, five blocks deep in Ohio....articles about voting machine manipulation, last minute poll moves, manipulation of dead-voter purging, etc etc....search his fb page for a look....some pretty topical stuff. The book sounds interesting too.
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    PJFAN13 wrote:
    I honestly am not suggesting superiority on the US part. I am sorry if that is how it is coming across, honestly. Wow. Plus the main point of Mr. Frum's article is, and I quote: Politicians of one party do not set voting schedules to favor their side and harm the other. Politicians do not move around voting places to gain advantages for themselves or to disadvantage their opponents. In fact, in almost no other country do politicians have any say in the administration of elections at all.
    It is broken. It is screwy. We need a fix. My point comparing the other countries isn't USA is better, its just nobody I've ever talked to, worked with, conversed with is rushing to those countries because their voting methods are so superior. Again, sorry it isn't clear.
    This is not an "us vs them" thing. I'm not being antagonistic. Please...calm down. Really. The US system is flawed.
    happy election day

even if your point was to say that people aren't emigrating out of america because Canada's/Germany's/Britain's voting system is so superior, that's kind of a bizarre point to make.
    Not to mention the comment that our leaders "don't go on to become one of (if not the single) most prominent and preeminent human beings on the face of Planet Earth".....because actually they do....(well, I'd argue that no politician is pre-eminent)....but after the POTUS, those leaders are among the most powerful in the world. Even if they weren't, this doesn't have much to do with the topic, so it seems like a bit of an out of place reminder of america's position as top dog....
    Honestly PJFAN, it doesn't sound like you had any ill intent with your comments....but people who believe in american exceptionalism use these same arguments (numbers 1 and 2)for a lot of different issues, so it rubs some of us non-americans the wrong way (sometimes in a bit of a knee-jerk)....
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    that's what I was going to say......all the affluent white dudes in this thread saying "well I've never had a problem"...
    So is there a campaign of intentional vote suppression and manipulation? Is it more prominent in black and hispanic neighbourhoods? and if so....does that point a finger more at the GOP than the dems? Or is that just something that pesky liberal media wants us to believe?

I follow freelance writer Greg Palast on fb.......he has a new book out called Billionaires and Ballot Bandits.....his status updates for the past few weeks have been about nothing but how fucked the system is: how blatantly the election can and is manipulated.
    I won't bother posting all the links....but there are a ton of articles and lots of video footage of poll lineups a thousand long in Florida, five blocks deep in Ohio....articles about voting machine manipulation, last minute poll moves, manipulation of dead-voter purging, etc etc....search his fb page for a look....some pretty topical stuff. The book sounds interesting too.

Thanks, I will check that out.
  • Options
    YEP OBAMA STOLE ELECTION.....FRAUD is what did it!
    Theres no time like the present

A man that stands for nothing....will fall for anything!

All people need to do more on every level!
  • Options
    Is it true last Election more people voted for American Idol (have to pay), than for a President?
  • Options
    belinda27 wrote:
    Is it true last Election more people voted for American Idol (have to pay), than for a President?

http://voices.yahoo.com/american-idol-v ... 96529.html
  • Options
    Meg8686Meg8686 Posts: 1,234
    Not quite a disgrace now is it.
    Compared with other countries out there in the world ....
    Your voting system is just fine. You have one. Win.
    Sometimes I speak of nothing at all.
  • Options
    Meg8686 wrote:
    Not quite a disgrace now is it.
    Compared with other countries out there in the world ....
    Your voting system is just fine. You have one. Win.

The point is that it can be better, much better.
  • Options
    YEP OBAMA STOLE ELECTION.....FRAUD is what did it!

:lol:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Jason P wrote:
    Lawyers = Trouble

25 of your President's were lawyers...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Jason P wrote:
    Lawyers = Trouble

25 of your President's were lawyers...

That's actually a lot less than I assumed.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    Digin; Good post. Somethimes these threads go awry. It doesn't matter who is from where. In America: WE NEED A VOTING UPGRADE.