Some Humans Are Monsters

MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
edited November 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
So I have been obsessed with this story for the past week

http://eastside.wgrz.com/news/news/7043 ... -east-side

121030110842_BurnedPuppy.jpg

So in the ghetto in Buffalo, an old lady saw what looked like paper on fire blowing. It turns out some scum fuck doused a Jack Russell Terrier puppy with lighter fluid and set him on fire.

A shelter/animal hospital took him in and it looked very bad at first. His eyes were swollen shut, 3rd degree burns on 30% of his body, very weak and wouldnt eat,etc.

The story was on all the news stations here and people came out in full support. They have collected way more $ they will ever need to treat the dog (they named him Phoenix), People were donating from all over the area, country, and even abroad. They are using the extra for future dogs in need.

Phoenix is fighting. He has survived the past 5 days and is improving. So many people in the area are rooting for him and they have received hundreds of adoption applications for him. A local bank is setting up a fund for a reward to grab the person responsible. I really think someone is going to go vigilante.

http://www.wkbw.com/news/local/Reward-F ... 28621.html

121030111348_BurnedPuppy2.jpg

they give updates on their facebook page. Apparently Phoenix is having a "good day"

http://www.facebook.com/FriendsofCBAS

I have 2 Jack Russells and I love their personality so much. This one hits home.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Go Phoenix! 8-)
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,410
    i hope they catch who did this. unreal.

we have a Jack Russell as well & couldn't imagine life without him.

hope he fully recovers!!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • KnZiE94KnZiE94 Posts: 158
    What is wrong with people people? It makes me sick!.I hope whoever did this is caught and gets what they deserve. I hope Phoenix makes a full recovery and has a happy life!
    BRAD- April 21, 2012 Seattle, WA
    BRAD- April 27, 2012 Seattle, WA

Pearl Jam- September 30, 2012 Missoula, MT
    Pearl Jam- November 30, 2013 Spokane, WA
    Pearl Jam- December 6, 2013 Seattle WA
  • I'm not going to read the article...because if I do I know I won't be able to get it out of my head for months :( Just judging by the the thread title and the picture of the dog I can assume what it's about. I hope the dog is ok and whoever did something horrible has to pay for it. And I hope animal abuse stops because I really can't fucking take it :(
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    I don't understand a lot of things that are bad in the world but animal abuse is probably number 1.. I just don't understand how you can hurt something so friendly, innocent and something didn't deserve any of the mistreatment. Pathetic human beings in the this world.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • This just broke my heart. How someone could do this to any living creature is just beyond me.
    I too have Jack Russells and I find their personalities to be like that of a toddler.
    They are such a smart sweet inquisitive loving faithful breed of dog.

Keeping Phoenix in my thoughts poor little guy. :cry:
    “This is a ah another request fulfillment. If none of the other of you like it at least one guy does. Actually it’s a girl, she’s right back there.”
    SMILE Eddie Vedder Cleveland 06.....
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    another update :D

Today Phoenix was given laser treatments to help heal his burns. Dr. Kim Meisner and Sr. Tech Tricia Brawdy donated their time to give Phoenix the procedure. Judi Bunge from Buffalo Small Animal was also there to assist. This type of therapy decreases dead tissue and bacterial overgrowth. It also promotes new cell growth and increases blood flow to the damaged areas. He was in great hands. Judi a vet tech from BSA who has been by Phoenix’s side since he came in, tells me that he is much brighter today and starting to become active! It’s such great news! Thanks so much to Aurora Pet Hospital for helping Phoenix out with this laser treatment!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =1&theater
  • this is awful.

but really, they named him phoenix? after the bird of FIRE??
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    this is awful.

but really, they named him phoenix? after the bird of FIRE??

The bird who bursts forth triumphant from the ashes.

;)
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Truly sickening! I think that people who abuse animals and children are the lowest form of scum. They deserve any bad karma that comes their way. I think that punishments for them need to be way harsher. Maybe the punishment should fit the crime? Just a thought...
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Karma will get them in the end. That is my fervent hope.

At the end of the day, Phoenix will have a loving home.

Hug your pets...
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    i shouldn't have opened this thread
  • kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    norm wrote:
    i shouldn't have opened this thread

Ditto. Jesus, this just ruined my day. F--ing a-holes, I tell ya.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Monster is right. I hope they catch them. There surely needs to be harsher sentences.
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
  • When Iwas a vet tech we came acrossed
    All sorts of cases like this! Makes me want to
    add serial killer to my resume' if you know what I mean.
    But then again I also want to take out the child molesters.
    We live in a sicker world than we could imagine.
    Try going to work each day and seeing twelve cases
    like this... Makes me sick!!!
    http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 09744/1132

Supporters root for recovery of burned dog
    BY: Sandra Tan

The Jack Russell terrier found with severe burns on Buffalo’s East Side on Monday has garnered a large following of well-wishers hoping for his recovery and making thousands of dollars in donations to pay for his recovery.

And despite his resembling “a toasted marshmallow,” with burned ears and a serious ankle infection, veterinarians are optimistic that the dog – aptly named Phoenix – is going to make it.

“We had a lot of people thinking he’s going to be blind, but he’s not,” said Rebecca Wagner, a senior veterinarian with Buffalo Small Animal Hospital.

Many people are closely watching Phoenix’s health, and not just veterinarians. Hundreds of area residents have donated a combined $12,000 toward his medical care and made countless offers for his adoption. They also are anxiously awaiting word of his condition.

“We’ve gotten enormous support from the whole community, even around the country,” said Suzanne Laba, a 13-year volunteer with the Buffalo City Animal Shelter. “We’ve been touched by the amount of well-wishes and donations. Many people want to adopt him. It’s been very overwhelming to us, because we’re not used to getting this much exposure.”

The terrier’s day-to-day progress has drawn a tremendous swell of followers on the city animal shelter’s Facebook page as people continue to wonder who could harm a puppy this way.

Animal advocates said they’ve been touched, overwhelmed and gratified by all the messages and phone calls, but they also point out that many other animals besides Phoenix need medical attention, love and a good home. And several others also have been abused.

The staff at Buffalo Small Animal Hospital said they’ve seen dogs that have been stabbed, kicked, thrown out of windows or deliberately wounded as bait to warm up fighting dogs. They’ve seen other dogs and cats burned, too, some worse than Phoenix.

“This one just caught the attention of the media,” Wagner said.

The fact that Phoenix is a puppy and was still on fire when he was discovered on Herman Street could have something to do with that.

Phoenix’ eyes and lids appeared markedly improved Saturday. He will, however, lose 60 percent of his ears, which now swivel on his head like stiff, crumpled black tabs. Much of his upper coat remains, though there are patches, particularly on his lower body, groin and left knee where his outer fur and skin have been burned away.

“Poor guy,” Wagner said. “Right around his penis is pretty bad.”

The Achilles tendon in his left rear ankle is also exposed and smells bad, leaving Phoenix limping on his remaining three paws while the vets monitor his wound and contemplate whether his foot needs amputation.

Despite his overall tattered appearance, Phoenix seemed interested and alert Saturday, was eating better and was regaining some strength from Friday, when he seemed in greater pain and was unwilling to touch his dog food.

The vets gathered and watched over him with obvious fondness while the calm-but-curious dog got his picture taken.

Phoenix was named for the mythological bird that goes up in flames at the end of its life cycle and is reborn from its own ashes.Police continue to investigate the animal cruelty incident, Buffalo Police spokesman Michael DeGeorge said.

“Detectives are making progress in the case,” he said.

He also encouraged anyone with information regarding Phoenix’s case to call the confidential tip line at 847-2255.

The vets have added some antibiotics to Phoenix’s mix of medications and sent him out on a morning field trip to another veterinary hospital that offered to give him free laser therapy to kill off bacterial cells and help his healthier tissue regenerate.

It likely will be months before Phoenix can be adopted. But according to Friends of the City of Buffalo Animal Shelter, the nonprofit group that raises money toward the care of shelter animals, it appears the group has the money to cover the puppy’s veterinary care, though complications could arise.

Judi Bunge, a senior vet technician at Buffalo Small Animal Hospital who has been looking after Phoenix, said his care could cost anywhere from a few thousand dollars to as much as $8,000, depending on how many surgeries he needs and whether skin grafting is required.

If the group has any donated money left over once Phoenix regains his health, it will go toward the care of other sick and injured animals at the shelter, Laba said.

She pointed out that the nonprofit’s vet bills amount to about $4,000 a month.

Aside from raising money for animal care, the all-volunteer group also fosters recovering animals and those in need of socialization skills. The group also works hard to get every animal adopted.

In fact, Phoenix isn’t the only injured Jack Russell terrier at the city shelter. Another one is in a foster home now after coming to the shelter with an abscessed tooth and injured hips, Lana said.

If Phoenix can recover and raise awareness of the needs of the hundreds of animals that still need good homes, he will have done a remarkably good deed, she said.

“Sometimes it’s good that people know that this happens,” Lana said. “It’s not a one-time event here.”
    http://www.thepetitionsite.com/686/536/489/phoenix-law/

Petition for stricter laws in NY for animal abuse

Also:
    http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 19686/1109

Two Buffalo teenagers suspected of setting a Jack Russell terrier ablaze last month were taken into custody Tuesday afternoon and likely will face felony animal-cruelty charges as early as this morning, Buffalo police said.

The suspects, ages 17 and 19, were not identified and had not yet been charged Tuesday night. They were arrested by detectives from the Ferry-Fillmore District, thanks to tips from the East Side community where the 16-month-old terrier, who has since been named Phoenix, was found burning.

The severely burned dog is recuperating in the Buffalo Small Animal Hospital.

Police spokesman Michael J. DeGeorge said at a Tuesday night news conference outside Police Headquarters that “a tip over the weekend led to the case going into high gear” and resulted in Tuesday’s arrests.

Both suspects have prior involvement in the criminal-justice system, police said.

“Buffalo police have two individuals in custody, and charges are being finalized,” DeGeorge said.

“This weekend, the case really picked up steam,” he added, thanks to tips from the public, which has become emotionally involved in the case since the puppy was found Oct. 29 in a yard on Herman Street.

There was no update on whether the dog might be adopted, but DeGeorge said Phoenix’s condition was “somewhat improved.”

DeGeorge declined to comment when asked about a possible motive for the burning of the dog, but he confirmed that the suspects in custody knew the dog.

Veterinarians have performed skin grafting on the puppy’s neck and arm pits and taken dead tissue off its ears. They are also working to save the puppy’s left hind leg.