So we got evacuated at work....

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
edited October 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Because of the smell of.......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian

Smelt exactly like a gas leak.
Our whole level was affected and we were told to go home an hour early.
Few of us felt sick, one of my colleagues threw up, my eyes and face felt like they were burning for hours afterwards.
Never heard of this fruit until today.
Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    How weird. I wonder what it tastes like.
    I hope you are feeling better.
    ELITIST FUK
  • ozgurkdozgurkd Posts: 434
    It looks like a fruit from Frida Kahlo paintings/ Never tasted one

I hope everyone is safe and well now
    Living is no laughing matter: you must live with great seriousness like a squirrel for example - I mean without looking for something beyond and above living, I mean living must be your whole occupation.
    Nazım Hikmet
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I've seen this fruit on the Travel Channel. It was this guy's show.

bizarre-foods-andrew-zimmern09.jpg

He couldn't even smell it and when he tasted it he almost yacked immediately. :sick:
  • I have never heard of this fruit until today.
    Four of my Malaysian colleagues recognised the smell as this fruit is native to their country.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • SD48277 wrote:
    I hope you are feeling better.

I am okay thank you.
  • Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    I remember that on last year's Top Chef Canada one chef had to use it. They talked about the pungent smell of the thing, but didn't qualify their description. It smells like a gas leak, eh? No wonder none of the chefs wanted anything to do with it.
    SD48277 wrote:
    One of the chefs on Top Chef Canada last season said, “this tastes like fried garlic and strawberries with the smell of shrimp paste”. How can one not want to try it?
  • A comment on a Youtube video on Durian...

"I tried to share a Durian with my friends at Apple 6 years ago. Only one of them would try it. I threw the remainder in the trash and someone called a Hazmat team. They evacuated an entire Apple office complex looking for bio weapons!"

Sounds similar to what happened today on the level where my office is....
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    that's one funky looking fruit...
    it's too early in the morning to watch the videos, my tummy is already turning from the wiki

was it someone's prank to bring it work or their lunch :? :sick:

Well out early but the tough way I guess

glad you are ok
  • pandora wrote:
    that's one funky looking fruit...
    it's too early in the morning to watch the videos, my tummy is already turning from the wiki

was it someone's prank to bring it work or their lunch :? :sick:

Well out early but the tough way I guess

glad you are ok

I am not sure who it was, we suspect which office it came from, not a prank don't think but it would make a good prank.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    so whats the rest of the story....why was it in the office?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    hhmmmm.....wonder where I can fond some of those. smells have become a daily issue here, considering retaliation
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    hhmmmm.....wonder where I can fond some of those. smells have become a daily issue here, considering retaliation

Get some Liquid Ass. Trust me. This will clear any room. :lol:

liquid_ass_bottle1.jpg
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    SD48277 wrote:

I've had Durian several times and, once you get over the smell of it, the inside of the fruit (which looks either like a fat intestine or a fat witchetty grub - sort of...) is quite sweet and mellow with a strange creamy/hard custardy consistence. Very difficult to explain. But it is quite pleasant.

But one definitely needs to be able to dissociate smell and taste, like eating really stinky cheeses such as Pont-l'Eveque or using Asafoetida as a spice for your indian food.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

most larger Asian markets carry the fruit. They keep it frozen to keep the smell down.

I thought most people related the smell to 'rotting flesh'...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    redrock wrote:

I've had Durian several times and, once you get over the smell of it, the inside of the fruit (which looks either like a fat intestine or a fat witchetty grub - sort of...) is quite sweet and mellow with a strange creamy/hard custardy consistence. Very difficult to explain. But it is quite pleasant.

But one definitely needs to be able to dissociate smell and taste, like eating really stinky cheeses such as Pont-l'Eveque or using Asafoetida as a spice for your indian food.
    I'm not opposed to trying it, but it would have to be at a restaurant. There's no way I'm bringing it home.
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    redrock wrote:

I'm not opposed to trying it, but it would have to be at a restaurant. There's no way I'm bringing it home.

I never had this at home! Other people's home.... Though I do use Asafoetida and eat stinky cheese (that is stored outdoors!) at home. But the Durian is just too much. And I never actually touched the fruit either.
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    I remember hearing about this somewhere. Good to know that it lives up to its expectations!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • 81 wrote:
    so whats the rest of the story....why was it in the office?

Someone from one of the other companies on my level had it, he bought it from the Malaysian restaurant around the corner. At least I got to talk to that hot chick I have a crush on from one of the companies on our level.