Russell Crowe to star in Bill Hicks biopic

ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
edited October 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Cool!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2008/aug ... NETTXT3487

Russell Crowe to star in Bill Hicks biopic

Ben Child
Guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 26 August 2008

Russell Crowe has confirmed speculation that he aims to star as the comic Bill Hicks during an interview with the Sydney Morning Herald. Crowe, 44, is currently without a project for seven months due to a delay in filming Ridley Scott's alternative Robin Hood tale, Nottingham. He told the Herald: "I have another project based on the life of comedian Bill Hicks, which is going from treatment to draft stage with Kiwi writer Mark Staufer." The Herald says it understands Crowe would play Hicks, the outspoken US comedian who died at the age of 32 from pancreatic cancer.

Crowe's blockbusting role as Maximus Decimus in Gladiator is to be given the National Lampoon treatment in the sword and sandal sendup The Legend of Awesomest Maximus, according to the Hollywood Reporter. The cast includes Kristanna Loken (Terminator 3), the evergreen Rip Torn (Dodgeball) and quite a few other actors you've probably never heard of. Jeff Kanew of Revenge of the Nerds "fame" is to direct, and the Reporter says the film will mark the start of a new era in which National Lampoon will aim to make four movies a year - a move which will no doubt increase quality standards dramatically.

Woody Harrelson has signed on to play a zombie "killer" in the comedy-horror Zombieland, according to the Hollywood Reporter. The screenplay from Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick centres on two mismatched survivors of an undead holocaust who become good friends during their struggle to stay alive. Ruben Fleischer is to direct. Harrelson will next be seen on our screens in Roland Emmerich's latest explosion fest, 2012, and the Will Smith drama Seven Pounds.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    That's an old article....
    I checked imdb and it said in development, with nothing about Crowe....so I hit google...found this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/jul ... cks-biopic

Russell Crowe to direct Bill Hicks biopic

Role of cult comedian, who died aged 32, open for casting

Russell Crowe has confirmed that he will direct a biopic of Bill Hicks, according to Sydney's Telegraph. Crowe was originally thought to be playing the comedian, but Mark Staufer, the actor's schoolmate and writer on the film, has suggested the part is now open for casting.

"It is a huge role for someone, made all the more special, or downright scary, by the fact the director is an Oscar-winning actor like Russell," Staufer said. Casting will have to be finalised before production starts early next year.

def cool that Crowe seems to be a fan and wants this to happen....not sure how I feel about it being his directorial debut....he actually wouldn't have been a bad HIcks...
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    phew that was close. i love russell crowe and i love bill hicks but rusty as hicks i dunno. let me ponder it for a bit. :think:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    That's an old article....

I didn't notice that before. Fuck knows what happened there. I thought it appeared on the main page today. I must have clicked on something else without realizing it.
    My laptop's buggered. I should probably invest in a new one.

Edit: I see what I did. I clicked on the link at the bottom of this page: http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/oct ... 11-truther
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    I'm not a fan of Russel Crowe, but am a huge fan of Bill Hicks. If he can pull it off well, then good on him, but if he screws it up we'll have to fight.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Awesome. An actor that no one cares about anymore doing a movie about a comedian most people have never heard of. Smells like success. :lol:
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    DS1119 wrote:
    Awesome. An actor that no one cares about anymore doing a movie about a comedian most people have never heard of. Smells like success. :lol:

They are both Man/Gods
    #Fact
    I don't think you can do better than "American the Bills Hicks Story" but if they make another one, i'll be there.
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    DS1119 wrote:

Most Americans haven't heard of Bill Hicks. Most other people have though, considering he was arguably the best stand-up comedian of the past 30 or 40 years.

You may as well have just posted 'Hello everyone, I'm ignorant'.
    Byrnzie wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Most Americans haven't heard of Bill Hicks. Most other people have though, considering he was arguably the best stand-up comedian of the past 30 or 40 years.

I actually know who Bill Hicks is and I'm far from ignorant. But thanks for the insult. Top class. And Russell Crowe is about as irrelevant as can be right now. Combination for a great movie. :lol:
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    DS1119 wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

I actually know who Bill Hicks is and I'm far from ignorant. But thanks for the insult. Top class. And Russell Crowe is about as irrelevant as can be right now. Combination for a great movie. :lol:

I think most people, of a certain age, know who Bill Hicks is.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
    Crowe is about as irrelevant as can be right now. Combination for a great movie. :lol:

I think most people, of a certain age, know who Bill Hicks is.[/quote]

I would venture a guess and place good money that if I went to a random mall and conducted a poll that I would be able to get 5% of people to be able to pick his picture out of a lineup. :lol:
    Crowe is going to be Javert in the new Les Mis Movie, which looks Fuck Awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk5UStefYmE
    Crowe is going to be Javert in the new Les Mis Movie.

Exactly. :lol:
    DS1119 wrote:

Never heard of Les Mis have you? keep talking out your ass sad little man
    DS1119 wrote:

Never heard of Les Mis have you? keep talking out your ass sad little man

I've heard of it. Never spent a nickel on it or never will. :lol:
    it's a mystery why your single
    it's a mystery why your single

I've never dated a girl who has spent a nickel on it either. :lol: