Options

EVERYBODY LOOOOOVES EDDIE VEDDER! (Reading related)

CuriousCurious Posts: 732
edited September 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
If you were the guy directly behind me at Reading chanting this, football fan style, between every song, during every solo, over every intro, over everytime Eddie spoke then... DAMN YOU!

I can't get this damn chant out of my head! It's been five days now and still it won't go, I can't watch the vids of the show without that ringing in my brain, I can't listen to the song without being plagued by it. The two guys I was with find it highly amusing to yell this over every song I now play.

Yes, everybody does love Eddie Vedder, which is why we'd rather listen to him than listen to you going on and on and on and on and on!

Damn good job the show was so frickin excellent you didn't manage to wreck it's memory for me.
"The secret of creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." - Einstein
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    CageyCagey Posts: 220
    No, everybody loves Pearl Jam ;)

PJ are bigger than just eddie, sooner the swoony girls realise that, the better eh.
    All my favourite singers have stolen all of my best lines.
  • Options
    Cagey wrote:
    No, everybody loves Pearl Jam ;)

PJ are bigger than just eddie, sooner the swoony girls realise that, the better eh.
    Or perhaps the swoony guys, as in this case! :D

Edit: I was going to ask you if "gorls" was a term for "guys" in Ireland, but then you edited your thread. I liked that word! Too bad it was a typo! ;)
    Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. --Douglas Adams

I have flying monkeys, and I'm not afraid to use them.

YDWWMPJC?!!
  • Options
    I'm one of those swoony gals on occasion, but I totally agree, its a band thing... this guy was driving me loopy the entire show. Even his girlfriend was getting embarrassed, bless 'er.
  • Options
    I'm just a bit sick of all the Eddie fanboy/girl/ism around here, it's kinda pathetic, when it's the Band as a whole we're supposed to love .. right? Without the band, eddie would be some bum surfer .. right? :D

Hehe, he's great yes, but on here you'd think he was the reincarnation of jesus Christ and nothing else mattered, it's about the music you fools!

nyway, yeah, there was a few behind us at one point at Reading, shouting STUPID shite like .. "we want Eddie" .. he's fucking right there you muppets! .. or "Black, black, black , black ..etc ..." .. If they want to play it, they will, now STFU while we at least here the rest of the set!!!

Grrr. Sometimes I hate PJ fans! :eek:
  • Options
    Cagey, I don't think I could agree anymore if I tried. I really dislike the whole hero worship deal that goes on round here, like these people are beyond human and can do no wrong.

I mean, sure, love the music, I know I do and have done for many a year, this does not mean I think every joke they crack is hilarious, every pose they inadvertantly strike is 'hot', everything they say is gospel. And people are so quick to jump on anyone who disagrees with any of these things.

I think people forget Pearl Jam are just people too.
  • Options
    Curious wrote:
    Cagey, I don't think I could agree anymore if I tried. I really dislike the whole hero worship deal that goes on round here, like these people are beyond human and can do no wrong.

I mean, sure, love the music, I know I do and have done for many a year, this does not mean I think every joke they crack is hilarious, every pose they inadvertantly strike is 'hot', everything they say is gospel. And people are so quick to jump on anyone who disagrees with any of these things.

I think people forget Pearl Jam are just people too.

Exactly. I've been into PJ now for 15 years, since they broke through basically, so don't get me wrong here, I do love them with a passion! But .. I don't 'love' Eddie specifically, or rant and rave like a sad teenager about how wonderful and beautiful he is, when the man's obviously aging rapidly, and is in fact losing some of those marvelous vocal tones from 10 years back .. that all the newcomers and extreme fans prefer to deny, or state that he now sounds even 'sexier' because of those smokey voval tones ... bolox you fools, he's getting OLD :p

He certainly does not look near as hot either, not that he could give a shit, he's in love with a model half his age (well, she is alot younger!) and I doubt he ever gave a toss about potential wannabe 'groupies' or the few sad lonely housewives who threw themselves towards the stage in the hope he would bat an eyelid or even remotely glance in their general direction! Harsh? not at all, get over it you munters!

Love them for the tunes, love the band .. or go get into the Back Street Boys all over again ...

He may be a fine looking man for his age, but come on, some of you make a mockery of a great 'Rock band' by making Ed out to be the be-all-and-end-all of them, and over-doing it on the "he makes me wet" front at times. pffft.

I hear Lost prophets are hiring desperate groupie huns ...
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Ah, I love ole Ed too. And I ain't no fanboy, and I ain't no wummun. Ed personifies love of good music, to me. :)
  • Options
    Cagey wrote:
    Exactly. I've been into PJ now for 15 years, since they broke through basically, so don't get me wrong here, I do love them with a passion! But .. I don't 'love' Eddie specifically, or rant and rave like a sad teenager about how wonderful and beautiful he is, when the man's obviously aging rapidly, and is in fact losing some of those marvelous vocal tones from 10 years back .. that all the newcomers and extreme fans prefer to deny, or state that he now sounds even 'sexier' because of those smokey voval tones ... bolox you fools, he's getting OLD :p

He certainly does not look near as hot either, not that he could give a shit, he's in love with a model half his age (well, she is alot younger!) and I doubt he ever gave a toss about potential wannabe 'groupies' or the few sad lonely housewives who threw themselves towards the stage in the hope he would bat an eyelid or even remotely glance in their general direction! Harsh? not at all, get over it you munters!

Love them for the tunes, love the band .. or go get into the Back Street Boys all over again ...

He may be a fine looking man for his age, but come on, some of you make a mockery of a great 'Rock band' by making Ed out to be the be-all-and-end-all of them, and over-doing it on the "he makes me wet" front at times. pffft.

I hear Lost prophets are hiring desperate groupie huns ...

Man, you're brave!

But yeh, been into this band 15 years myself, since Ten was released here, and while I can appreciate Eddie has some good looks going on there, I really can't see how that relates to the music at all though. I got into this band way way before I even saw what they looked like.

The whole hero worship thing does kinda detract from the music, for me anyway.
  • Options
    Brave? Just let them bring it on .. the weaklings :D

I feel as much of a right to a say as any of the cretins on 'ere.

Let's have it then.
  • Options
    I tried getting a Stoney chant going and a Matt Fuckin Cammeron chant going at Reading but the people around me were having none of it:(
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D
  • Options
    Ah, I love ole Ed too. And I ain't no fanboy, and I ain't no wummun. Ed personifies love of good music, to me. :)

Ed does. or Pearl Jam do?

Either love the band as a whole I say, and I mean musically, or don't consider yerself a true fan. Ed'loving is a whole weird different matter, a geeky one that needs addressing.

:p
  • Options
    I tried getting a Stoney chant going and a Matt Fuckin Cammeron chant going at Reading but the people around me were having none of it:(

Tell me you weren't doing it every 30 seconds though, getting progressively more slurred as the cheap warm beer took effect?

This guy seriously pissed me off!
  • Options
    The beer did seem to get warm at reading! The whole stench of shit and 3 days worth of untidied rubbish didn't add much good karma to it either though! Good job the band kicked ass eh?
  • Options
    Cagey wrote:
    The beer did seem to get warm at reading! The whole stench of shit and 3 days worth of untidied rubbish didn't add much good karma to it either though! Good job the band kicked ass eh?

My first PJ show, I was gonna be happy however bad it smelled and looked. Still buzzing now.
  • Options
    Curious wrote:
    My first PJ show, I was gonna be happy however bad it smelled and looked. Still buzzing now.

Only my second, and in that same week (Dublin) ... and yeah, never bothered me really, and certainly didn't interupt any enjoyment of the actual show for me, I just distinctly remember before, during and after at certain times, especially when sipping a beer, that the stench was terrible, and worsening rapidly ... it really got up my nose! But who cares? PJ were incredible as expected, though, still, I wish I'd seen them 14 years earlier ...
  • Options
    Cagey wrote:
    Only my second, and in that same week (Dublin) ... and yeah, never bothered me really, and certainly didn't interupt any enjoyment of the actual show for me, I just distinctly remember before, during and after at certain times, especially when sipping a beer, that the stench was terrible, and worsening rapidly ... it really got up my nose! But who cares? PJ were incredible as expected, though, still, I wish I'd seen them 14 years earlier ...

Yeh as much as I loved every second I couldn't help the odd thought of 'I've wasted 15 years here!' I should've been doing this stuff back when I was 20.
  • Options
    Curious wrote:
    Tell me you weren't doing it every 30 seconds though, getting progressively more slurred as the cheap warm beer took effect?

This guy seriously pissed me off!

hell no i was sobre as a judge
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D
  • Options
    I was 15 when first i heard them, and tbh! I wasn't impressed at all!!! :eek: ... I was into Public Enemy, Iron maiden, The prodigy and Metallica at the time though, forgive me :p

It wasn't untill I had them drummed into my head by a few mates I had at the time, male and female, that I took notice and ... then ... wondered ... why .. the ... hell ... I hadn't been in awe from the off! And obviously this was all just songs from 'Ten'

Around the same time I discovered Alice in chains, Nirvana, Soundgarden .... and that's why the early 90's for me were THE best years musically, ever.
  • Options
    Cagey wrote:
    Around the same time I discovered Alice in chains, Nirvana, Soundgarden .... and that's why the early 90's for me were THE best years musically, ever.

Sounds just like me. It was the slight Soundgarden obsession that got me into Pearl Jam, via Temple Of The Dog. Those CDs I bought in those coupla years are the ones I still play the most now, I get accused of living in the past lots, but to hell with them all. That was all just the perfect music at the perfect time for me.
  • Options
    Cagey wrote:

Either love the band as a whole I say, and I mean musically, or don't consider yerself a true fan. Ed'loving is a whole weird different matter, a geeky one that needs addressing.

Nah, I love his appreciation of The Who, and his joyful enthusiasm for UK music. His enthusiasm has reminded me, since 1991, of how I've felt for all that music, that got me excited as a youngster, and made me keen to play music, myself. Except that he got the chance to play with his heroes, and I haven't. Er, yet. ;)
  • Options
    True fan? I'm only a fan of Shakespeare, Mozart and Hendrix. With PJ, I'm a supporter. There's a difference. ;)
  • Options
    I was at arnhem and i must say that i would prefere it if the people sitting on there asses around me would have shouted or showed any enthousiasm even if it was only at ed.I think i rather hear that then being (almost)the only one who was singing and moving around for almost the whole first session.Altough i do agree that ed is not the only thing that makes pj the best its the whole group that made my blood rush trough my vaines that night.I loved their music before i knew howe they looked....but its a really nice bonus to look ad ed and stone.
  • Options
    wendy1976 wrote:
    I was at arnhem and i must say that i would prefere it if the people sitting on there asses around me would have shouted or showed any enthousiasm even if it was only at ed.I think i rather hear that then being (almost)the only one who was singing and moving around for almost the whole first session.Altough i do agree that ed is not the only thing that makes pj the best its the whole group that made my blood rush trough my vaines that night.I loved their music before i knew howe they looked....but its a really nice bonus to look ad ed and stone.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with people getting excited, jumping around, yelling, singing, laughing, have a good time. I just had a problem with this one particular overly-drunk repetative droning moron.

I still have his off key voice rattling round my head now.
  • Options
    Curious wrote:
    I still have his off key voice rattling round my head now.

I understand what you mean...i just tought it was funny that we feel the same but then about people who did opposit things...
  • Options
    OneLoveOneLove Posts: 563
    Cagey wrote:

I agree with alot of what you have said in this thread. I think that Pearl Jam as a unit are 5 (is boom considered a band member now?... then 6) ordinary people who've come together to do something extrodinary.

Do I think Ed would be some bum surfer w/out Pearl Jam? No, deffinately not. I do think that we are all lucky that these five people came together to make music. Seems to be a wonderful combination of talented individuals, who would ALL have contribued in some way with or without Pearl Jam.

As far as the Ed obsession goes.... here's my take. 1) most folks, with any given band, identify the most with the frontman/singer. They put the words to the music, and therefore are the most accessable, if that makes sense. 2) Ed does the talking, through lyrics, and on stage. I think that because Ed has been so falable in a public way, speaks from his heart and uses the platform of Pearl Jam to speak about what he, and the band, care deeply about, people don't see him as a "rockstar". By extension, many people who are long time fans feel that all of the guys are "just like them", falable, passionate, and trying to find their way in this world. That is a theme that runs throughout their catalogue of music, and in many fans (and non fans) lives.

Here's the thing. While Eds lyrics are haunting a moving, what gives them the lungs to breathe is the music that accompanies them. Its the marriage between the music and the words that makes Pearl Jam what it is.
  • Options
    I think when he says "Ed-loving" .. he's referring to the matter of girls swooning at his feet and getting very teenybopperish and cringey about the whole thing.
    Of course the man is to be respected as a musician .. but that whole swoony obsessive screamy squeally "oooh how hot is he" thing is what he means..and it is a bit sad in fairness.
    He may be a good lookin man, but that shouldn't even come into the equation.Thats not what being a fan is about. You shouldnt love a band because you think that the lead singer is a fine thing.How pathetic is that. You should love the band because theyre a fucking brilliant band that write the most unbelievable inspiring songs as 5 (or 6 :D) people !!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Underneath this smile lies everything
    All my hopes and anger, pride and shame
    Make myself a pact not to shut doors on the past
    Just for today I am free"

Dublin 23/08/2006 ~~~Reading 27/08/2006

Wembley June '07 !!
  • Options
    I think when he says "Ed-loving" .. he's referring to the matter of girls swooning at his feet and getting very teenybopperish and cringey about the whole thing.
    Of course the man is to be respected as a musician .. but that whole swoony obsessive screamy squeally "oooh how hot is he" thing is what he means..and it is a bit sad in fairness.
    He may be a good lookin man, but that shouldn't even come into the equation.Thats not what being a fan is about. You shouldnt love a band because you think that the lead singer is a fine thing.How pathetic is that. You should love the band because theyre a fucking brilliant band that write the most unbelievable inspiring songs as 5 (or 6 :D) people !!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, so he's a "fine thing" now??? eh, don't remember anyone saying that.

To put it simpler for yis, this aint feckin Bon-fucking-Jovi. :p (though he's an ugly twat) .. but they're mostly female 'swoony' fans, I suppose.
  • Options
    Ok, gotcha folks. I'll put it more simply.

Eddie is an attractive man. Yes, the swooning can be a bit much. But, you can't fault anyone for noticing that he is an attractive person. I actually think all of the members of Pearl Jam are attractive, and I don't think that makes me less of a fan.

I would imagine that if Eddie were to actually read the threads dedicated to his physique on this board, he would throw up... and maybe rightly so, but that is part of being famous.

Just out of curiosity... I am assuming that you all are guys right? Its an interesting point that you make, valid for the most part...

I'm a chick, wish that there were more guys in this world like you all, since you clearly believe that objectifying any human based on phisique is innapropriate. Kudos to you.
  • Options
    I'm a 'guy' but there's plenty of 'chicks' around here too! :D

Of course I can tell too when a man's a looker, as I am quite the looker myself :p hehe, I just hate this teeny-bopper mentality that alot of the female fans express at times, it's one thing to find him sexy or attractive, whatever yer into like, I'd say there's 1000 better looking singers though, they just hapen to be crap! - But come on, I've seen people post pic's on here of The man covered in melted chocolate *shudders* and talk in stalkish, creepy manners about what they'd love to do, and about following him and fantasising about him ... eh, this is a band I've loved for 15 years, I'd prefer not to have these mental images :D
  • Options
    Cagey wrote:
    I'm a 'guy' but there's plenty of 'chicks' around here too! :D

Of course I can tell too when a man's a looker, as I am quite the looker myself :p hehe, I just hate this teeny-bopper mentality that alot of the female fans express at times, it's one thing to find him sexy or attractive, whatever yer into like, I'd say there's 1000 better looking singers though, they just hapen to be crap! - But come on, I've seen people post pic's on here of The man covered in melted chocolate *shudders* and talk in stalkish, creepy manners about what they'd love to do, and about following him and fantasising about him ... eh, this is a band I've loved for 15 years, I'd prefer not to have these mental images :D

Wait a minute... there is a pic of ed covered in chocolate? I gotta see this ;) haha, I'm kidding, I think. :)

Its all good, I do find it refreshing that a guy would think its wrong to reduce someone to physical appearance alone.