Australian PM Lectures Leader of the Opposition

polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
edited October 2012 in A Moving Train
cate - this you? ... :)

actually surprised the heckling was rather tame ...

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/10 ... 50663.html
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    I saw this.. and loved every minute of it.. Mr. Aboott is a pompous smug asshole who is a record as long as his arm at being sexist. Gillard has been taunted with the usual manly politician streotype of a women leader by the liberal party plus many more examples.. good for her and she needs to do more of this and take control. if shr keeps doing this she will be reelected/
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    She got him good. Really good...
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    any of you guys care to give a synopsis of the political state in australia now? ... i know under howard - it was like watching george bush's puppy running a country ....
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    polaris_x wrote:
    cate - this you? ... :)

actually surprised the heckling was rather tame ...

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/10 ... 50663.html

:lol: no i have brown hair and besides theres no way i could sell my soul to be a politician.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • moretonbayfigmoretonbayfig Australia Posts: 805
    pjfan31 wrote:
    She got him good. Really good...

+1
    I will try... But I am not totally up on it...

Gillard from the labor party is in power with a minority. So basically the two major parties have the same amount of seats, though through another party the Greens and Independents have sided with Labor making them in power. By 1 or 2 seats. Now if those 2 people crossed and sided with liberals, it would change our Prime Minister to TOny Abbott

Now Gillard has brought in a few controversial things which has caused her popularity to plummet.

The Mining tax

and Carbon tax. Now this tax is on big industries which pass their tax on to the tax payers. However, Labor has said that households get compensated. So while most households costs go up 9%, they are supposed to be offset by a 10% tax cut (or something like that).

Now, this hasn't been in place for a long time, and people doubt they will benefit from the tax cut. And she is quite unpopular. I think, unfairly so.

Gillard is a very intelligent. On the flip side we have TOny Abbott who is actually the least preferred Prime Minister out of the two (according to surveys) Yet his party are more popular...

My big concern here is Abbott is a puppet. He actually can't formulate a debate or answer an off the cuff question, In my opinion . He has to be advised of how to answer etc...

I think if an election were to be called today, Liberal will most likely get it... But I don't believe Abbott is the right man to lead us forward...
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
    thanks pjfan31 ... i see australia as being similar to canada in many regards ... politics being one of them ...

carbon taxes are essentially a must moving forward but most people are not going to understand that ... at least she seems intelligent and has some integrity ... can't really say that for our slate of politicians here ... :(
  • TroubledSoulTroubledSoul Posts: 1,364
    gillard has no integrity, she's a disgrace. ask tanner how she ousted rudd. (rudd being the second worst PM in history behind gillard).

then we have abbott, arguably the worst opposition leader in history (hmmm worse than latham? tough call but he's close). he's trying to win the election by default, which he most likely will anyway. but every time he opens his mouth he gives points to the current government. he bumbles his way through interviews, back tracks and repeats token party lines ad nauseum.

say what you like about howard, keating, hawke, but they were true leaders in their own right. at present there is not 1 person i can think of who has leadership credentials.

politics in australia is in a sad, sad state. it's all very uninspiring.
    Yeh I've seen Pearl Jam, too. But I can't remember the dates.
    pjfan31 wrote:
    I will try... But I am not totally up on it...

Gillard from the labor party is in power with a minority. So basically the two major parties have the same amount of seats, though through another party the Greens and Independents have sided with Labor making them in power. By 1 or 2 seats. Now if those 2 people crossed and sided with liberals, it would change our Prime Minister to TOny Abbott

Now Gillard has brought in a few controversial things which has caused her popularity to plummet.

The Mining tax

and Carbon tax. Now this tax is on big industries which pass their tax on to the tax payers. However, Labor has said that households get compensated. So while most households costs go up 9%, they are supposed to be offset by a 10% tax cut (or something like that).

Now, this hasn't been in place for a long time, and people doubt they will benefit from the tax cut. And she is quite unpopular. I think, unfairly so.

Gillard is a very intelligent. On the flip side we have TOny Abbott who is actually the least preferred Prime Minister out of the two (according to surveys) Yet his party are more popular...

My big concern here is Abbott is a puppet. He actually can't formulate a debate or answer an off the cuff question, In my opinion . He has to be advised of how to answer etc...

I think if an election were to be called today, Liberal will most likely get it... But I don't believe Abbott is the right man to lead us forward...

the carbon tax hasnt affected me to my knowledge. my power bill went up $17 this quarter. to that i say woop de doop. i have no problem with the carbon tax per se. what i have a problem with aside from the fact julia gillard lied and then tried to tell us she didnt say what we all heard her say is that while we pay this carbon tax, no other measures have been put in place to lower our carbon footprint. we live in a country that has more sunlight than any other country in the world and yet where is the solar energy?? why isnt every new house fitted with solar energy? why arent there solar and wind farms being constructed in order to offset our footprint? why did the govt bring a scheme that basically guaranteed that big business would just pass on the tax to the people in the form of increased prices? why in nsw has the govt scrapped the first home owners scheme for purchasers of existing homes and yet kept it in place for new home owners? i reailie this is to bolster the lagging construction industry... but if our govts were serious about offsetting carbon emissions and the friggin' carbon tax then surely encouraging people to buy existing homes as opposed to trampling the ground with the huge footprint of building a new house from scratch would have been better. or is it the govt really doesnt want to do anything about carbon emissions, it just wants to be seen to be doing something? why arent there more clean energy buses on our roads? why do we talk about building more roads? why not expand the public transport system? why allow the building of new homes without energy saving initiatives? as far as im concerned ALL new homes in autsralia should be solar powered and there should be a limit in size... no more of these bullshit mcmansions.

i find it cringe worthy that tony abbott is apparently more popular than julia gillard and i have to wonder why this is so. what are people basing their opinion on? and yes i agree abbott is a puppet. hes a disagreeable man and i find his presence abhorrent. i also have to ask... what the fuck is wrong with the people?

as for the mining tax...

... the mining companies should be paying more tax cause they are benefitting greatly from a resource that i believe belongs to the country. why the fuck should they benefit more than the people of australia? such it up princesses... how many billions do you need? its time to give back the country that has allowed you to accumulate such outrageous wealth.

we speak of democracy.. but how democratic is it that the government in power does not have the majority vote? preferntial voting is not democratic... if i wantd to vote for one of the major parties i would vote for one of the major parties? i do not vote for who i vote for so they can hand my vote to someone i didnt want my vote going to. as far as im concerned this is not democratic at all. its simply horseshit which enables a government to be formed that does not have the support of the majority of the people. and that is what we have today, as was stated. of course what occurs then is that the party in power then is basically held to ransom by those independents who enabled them to get into power in the first place. is this good for the country? i dont think so.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    say what you like about howard, keating, hawke, but they were true leaders in their own right. at present there is not 1 person i can think of who has leadership credentials.

malcolm turnball

yes it is uninspiring.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

malcolm turnball

yes it is uninspiring.

Turnball is just an aussie version of Romney.. not good.

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
    Zoso wrote:

no he is not. but please feel free to share why you think he is.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Zoso wrote:

I'm far removed from Australian politics now so feel free to denounce this but here goes.. his stances on social issues seem very moderately conservative almost liberal but he is another one that comes with a lot of money that is out of touch with the middle class. He may have great leadership qualities but I want a clintonesque type for Australian PM. any takers??

woohoo ... it's fucked everywhere!! ... :)
    I too think Turnbull would make a far better choice for PM than Abbott..

I want a Prime Minister who can lead... Not need fumble away if he gets asked a question that he hasn't been told to answer.

Gillard to her credit can.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
    Zoso wrote:
    Zoso wrote:

I'm far removed from Australian politics now so feel free to denounce this but here goes.. his stances on social issues seem very moderately conservative almost liberal but he is another one that comes with a lot of money that is out of touch with the middle class. He may have great leadership qualities but I want a clintonesque type for Australian PM. any takers??

just for starters, turnball supports marriage equality and he is a republican. i personally will not vote for anyone who doesnt support at least these two issues.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    His party doesn't like him though...
    So Turnball is a conservative financially but socially he is very liberal.. I like that mix could work well for Australia.

His party doesn't like him though...

so i heard. but im thinking if the public likes him enough then the libs willl have to capitulate and give him the crown. hes leagues ahead of abbott no matter which way you look at it. how can any party continue to support a man whose wife had to be trotted out to defend him about his supposed 'hatred' of women? i dont care what his wife thinks of him.. she clearly likes the man cause she married him and had children with him.. so really her opinion that tony isnt misogynistic and doesnt have a problem with powerful women(or women in general) means nothing to me.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    yeh. still a long way to election day though. libs will keep watching those polls like you said and may have to call on reinstating mal to get those "centre" votes back.

i didnt get that whole "trot out mrs abbott" rubbish. looked pretty bloody cheesy.

and what's with the alp stooping to personal attacks anyway? if gillard had any decorum or was "above" tony and his cronies, then why does she need to label him and attack him personally? because she's useless and has no positives of her own to spruce.

so they've played the father sympathy card, the sexist attack card and this week she's played the bali empathy card.

can't wait for next weeks days of our canberra lives... :roll: :fp:
    after everything that was said about julia gillard simply because she was a female i say good on her for slapping the fools down. if you think men and women are treated equally in this society then youre sorely mistaken... perhaps julia was sick of hearing the bullshit. fuck knows i am. and i know im not the only one.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say