Ice Bowl-12 years ago today

PRLJM1PRLJM1 Posts: 584
edited October 2012 in The Porch
Same temp today also. Hard to believe it's been 12 years.
Summerfest '95,Alpine '98,Ice Bowl(Alpine'00),Alpine'03,Chicago'06,Summerfest(x2)'06,Riverside Theater '08(EV),ChicagoII '09, PJ20-Alpine Valley 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Voodoo Fest '13 (New Orleans), Milwaukee '14, Wrigley 1,2 '16
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    Wow has it really been 12 years?! Yikes!! Ha, I remember being at that show freezing my buns off wondering what the hell they were thinking booking a show in Wisconsin in October! :lol:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • CP218430CP218430 Posts: 1,937
    I wrote this ten years after the Ice Bowl, but hey, twelve works just as well. Enjoy.

No one will ever say it was the best, the longest and with the exception of a great version of Porch (accompanied by the unusual It’s Ok tag), there really aren’t any standout tracks, but the Ice Bowl was an experience and that is something becoming very rare. We’ve turned into a society obsessed with social networking, minus the actual physical networking; with the persnickety insistence of being involved in every nook and cranny of a band without actually going to see them and most of the time we don’t really need to. A few great acts aside, if you see one show, you’ve seen them all and even those acts tour at predictable times and well-trodden venues, then there’s Pearl Jam, who constantly surprise their fans and reward them for their diligence.

The Binaural Tour was the first time an act decided to release every show to the public to deter bootleggers (and when was the last time you saw a Pearl Jam show selling for an abhorrent amount of money?), and that being said each city had a touch and flair for the hometown crowd. Despite every show being singular, Alpine was special; it was a throwback. They did away with the moody broodings that lingered in the middle of each show, instead they kept the slow songs to a minimum and opted for louder, faster songs. Most of them sing alongs that the crowd responded to with excitement. It wasn’t just a concert it was an exercise in trust that you don’t really see between an audience and a band. I didn’t hear one person complain (and I was on the lawn), instead people huddled together, they sang and they danced.

Eddie said it best when he told people listening to the show at home, to open up their freezers, then they might get an idea of how cold it was, but even if they listened in the bitter cold, they would’ve missed the experience, the improv and the grandiosity of a band making good to those of us who showed up. It’s a gem that isn’t marked by an overwhelming fan base, there isn't even a Klausen or an Ames poster (although we should totally make a petition for one – a frozen badger?). All that being said, ten years later, I’ve seen a lot of bands, but I can’t say most of them were experiences I couldn’t have had in a different city on a different night, and I think that’s why the Jamily continues to grow. The best part is, with Pearl Jam there’s always another chance for an Ice Bowl, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.
    98: St. Louis. 2000: Alpine. 2003: Chicago. 2006: Chicago Night 2, Milwaukee Night 1. 2007: Chicago (Lolla). 2009: Chicago 1 & 2. 2011: Alpine 1 & 2. 2013: Chicago & LA Night 1. 2016: Chicago 1 & 2. 2018: Chicago 1 & 2. 

"Let the Ocean dissolve away my past."
  • eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 1,004
    i have to say that this show is probably my fave 2000 bootleg from USA. love the setlist. and arguably the best RVM they have done

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • jasonjason Posts: 468
    I was there and hard to believe it was that long ago. I remember that like it was yesterday. I have never been to a concert or even a football game that dressed up. What a great time! It was my first time to Alpine and it was also a LONG DAY!!

It was my senior year of college. My girlfriend at the time ran part of the Twin Cities marathon. I picked her up at the finish line and off we went to Alpine Valley not knowing what we would expect. We made it after the long car ride and getting lost in the corn fields numerous times. We even stopped at a McDonald's that had printed directions on the counter. We finally made it and planned for the worst, winter jackets, hats, gloves, etc..... We were in the masses of GA/Lawn, but who cares. Pearl Jam came on and it was AWESOME, but thought they would cut it short with frost bit fingers, but NOPE, they just kept going and going and going. We got back to the car and spent the next 2 hours waiting to get out of the parking lot. My girlfriend worked for the MN Vikings and had to be back the next day for work, so after the lot cleared we hit the road back to MN. She studied a bit for a Spanish exam, while I stopped every 30 minutes to run around the car to wake up. I made it back to the cities as the sun came up and the 93x Half Assed Morning Show started. She made it to work and I stayed on the couch all day.

You can't take that away and every time they talk about the Ice Bowl show, I think about this and how crazy we were but the fun we had.

Thanks for the reminder and thanks Pearl Jam for 12 more years of jamming. Worth traveling when possible to see you. Missoula was last, what is next?
  • Twelve years ago! :shock: Makes me feel old! :lol:

I was in my last year of college up in Minnesota and just happened to mention to a new friend that Pearl Jam was awesome and she said she thought they were awesome too and had never seen a show. The previous years to this it always seemed that they were playing where I wasn't. When I was in WI (where I'm from) they would play in MN (where I went to school) and vice versa. So I was jonesing for some PJ! So we decided, what the heck, let's go to Alpine! It was freezing but awesome - I remember having many layers on including the tank I bought at the show. Maybe I thought it was ironic to buy a tank top at a show that was 30 degrees!
    I will say I remember feeling like it was not a show with anything rare - and that everyone knew all the songs (where's the songs for the REAL fans :lol: ). Although you look back and most people would be jealous of some of the songs played (Of the Girl-Untitled-MFC-Light Years-Off He Goes) and I would agree that Porch was rock'n.
    All in all it was an experience and this new friend of mine has now been to every Pearl Jam show with me since (including Missoula this year). Nothing like PJ to seal a new friendship!
    07-09-95 Milwaukee, WI (Summerfest) - 10-08-00 Alpine Valley Music -06-16-03 St. Paul, MN - 09-03-11 Alpine Valley Music Theatre -09-04-11 Alpine Valley Music Theatre - 09-30-12 Missoula, MT - 07-19-13 Wrigley Field - 11-15-13 Dallas, TX - 10-3-14 St Louis, MO - 10-19-14 St Paul, MN
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    :D its a chilly day here in Georgia 58 degrees :shock:

maybe a good day for a little PJ, a blanket and a beer on the back deck :D
  • I just found some pictures I took that night. I'll have to get them scanned and posted. I had great 10c seats... Was alone, as my pregnant wife chose not to go due to the weather. I was sitting next to the chick with the "Marry Me Mike McCready" sign that is on the Touring Band 2000 DVD.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,830
    Now playing on Pearl Jam Radio on SiriusXM!
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    CP218430 wrote:
    I wrote this ten years after the Ice Bowl, but hey, twelve works just as well. Enjoy.

No one will ever say it was the best, the longest and with the exception of a great version of Porch (accompanied by the unusual It’s Ok tag), there really aren’t any standout tracks, but the Ice Bowl was an experience and that is something becoming very rare. We’ve turned into a society obsessed with social networking, minus the actual physical networking; with the persnickety insistence of being involved in every nook and cranny of a band without actually going to see them and most of the time we don’t really need to. A few great acts aside, if you see one show, you’ve seen them all and even those acts tour at predictable times and well-trodden venues, then there’s Pearl Jam, who constantly surprise their fans and reward them for their diligence.

The Binaural Tour was the first time an act decided to release every show to the public to deter bootleggers (and when was the last time you saw a Pearl Jam show selling for an abhorrent amount of money?), and that being said each city had a touch and flair for the hometown crowd. Despite every show being singular, Alpine was special; it was a throwback. They did away with the moody broodings that lingered in the middle of each show, instead they kept the slow songs to a minimum and opted for louder, faster songs. Most of them sing alongs that the crowd responded to with excitement. It wasn’t just a concert it was an exercise in trust that you don’t really see between an audience and a band. I didn’t hear one person complain (and I was on the lawn), instead people huddled together, they sang and they danced.

Eddie said it best when he told people listening to the show at home, to open up their freezers, then they might get an idea of how cold it was, but even if they listened in the bitter cold, they would’ve missed the experience, the improv and the grandiosity of a band making good to those of us who showed up. It’s a gem that isn’t marked by an overwhelming fan base, there isn't even a Klausen or an Ames poster (although we should totally make a petition for one – a frozen badger?). All that being said, ten years later, I’ve seen a lot of bands, but I can’t say most of them were experiences I couldn’t have had in a different city on a different night, and I think that’s why the Jamily continues to grow. The best part is, with Pearl Jam there’s always another chance for an Ice Bowl, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

This is awesome! :clap:

I went to that show with my boyfriend at the time - who wasn't a fan of PJ at all. (Yeah poor choice, I know!) He was bitching the entire time. Needless to say he never came with me to another PJ show again :lol:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Coldest concert I've ever been to.
    Cheers :D
    Soldier Field 7/11/95 Alpine Valley 6/26/98 United Center 6/29/98 The Ice Bowl10/8/00 United Center 5/17/06 United Center 8/23/09 Verizon Wireless 5/7/10 EV Chicago Theater 6/29/11 PJ20 9/3/11 9/4/11 Wrigley Field 7/19/13 Memphis 10/14/14 Moline 10/17/14 Wrigley Field 8/20/16 Wrigley Field 8/22/16 Wrigley Field 8/18/18 Wrigley Field 8/20/18> 17× United Center 9/7/23
  • YLed2YLed2 Posts: 5,534
    I've always wanted to hear the boot from this show.
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• YLed2 wrote:

What are you waiting for?
    Posimists. Fuck the pessimists...fuck'em.
  • YLed2YLed2 Posts: 5,534
    YLed2 wrote:

What are you waiting for?

Fantastic question...... :o
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Soldier Field 7/11/95 Alpine Valley 6/26/98 United Center 6/29/98 The Ice Bowl10/8/00 United Center 5/17/06 United Center 8/23/09 Verizon Wireless 5/7/10 EV Chicago Theater 6/29/11 PJ20 9/3/11 9/4/11 Wrigley Field 7/19/13 Memphis 10/14/14 Moline 10/17/14 Wrigley Field 8/20/16 Wrigley Field 8/22/16 Wrigley Field 8/18/18 Wrigley Field 8/20/18> 17× United Center 9/7/23
  • DURPDURP Posts: 2,180
    My cousin went to this show. He told me they worried the entire drive up from Columbus Oh that the show was going to be cancelled due to the cold temps. Said they kept checking the radio and when they would stop for gas they had the number to a local radio station and would call and ask if the show was still on.

He said it's one concert he will never forget.
    My butt itches!
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    About that cold here today too. Not the best PJ show I've been to (set list wise) as this show was a few songs shorter than the standard 2000 shows. Regardless a damn memorable show, that those of a who went won't forget. My favorite version of "Faithful". Love the crowd singing on it as well as Animal on the boot.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • theJawastheJawas Posts: 395
    I don't have much new to add; I was there with my now-wife. She and I noticed that this anniversary was coming up the other day, and still talk about stuff like seeing the whole band bundled up. Mike was just stiff and barely moving for him, and my wife likes to think he pointed at her because they were both wearing scarves; and Jeff actually had long sleeves and long pants on! We also couldn't find our car after, but at least we didn't have to wait in a line to leave because of it. Maybe our most memorable show for all of these reasons.
  • MK88178MK88178 Posts: 523
    edited October 2019
    I'm in Denver tonight. Its 19 degrees and wu tang is playing red rocks. Reminded me of the ice bowl 19 years ago. Great memories.
    Post edited by MK88178 on
  • CP218430 said:

Wow. Wow