Broken Tuning Peg Button Advice Needed

uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
edited October 2012 in Musicians and Gearheads
Last month I had a little drunken accident at home and kind of knocked my Flying V off its stand. There was no damage to the body, but one of the tuning peg buttons (the G, if you must know), shattered. I'm looking for advice on whether I should replace the button, all the buttons (is that even doable?), or all the tuners.

Right now it's outfitted with 3x3 Grover Rotomatic tuners (http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guit ... tones.html). I was thinking if I do replace all the tuners, maybe go with locking tuners (just because I have no experience with them). I found a set (http://www.allparts.com/Locking-Tuners- ... 35-002.htm), that would perfectly match the stock look of my guitar.

What advice can you guys give me?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    You'll have to swap out the entire tuner. If you're replacing with the same model doing one or all shouldn't be an issue.

Alot of people like locking tuners, but in my limited experience they're kinduva pain in the ass. I've jammed on my buddy's guitar that has them and I just left them unlocked so I didn't have to unlock them every time I made a tuning adjustment. Think they come in handy if you're gonna be abusing the whammy bar, otherwise they don't seem like a necessity on a well set up guitar to me.
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    Thanks, I don't have a whammy bar on that axe, so maybe it's not worth spending the extra dollars then. Is it possible to buy just one tuner, or do I have to buy the entire set? In my searches I've only been able to find sets of 6. Also, would it be worthwhile to try out a different tuner, or just stick with what I'm used to?
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Thanks, I don't have a whammy bar on that axe, so maybe it's not worth spending the extra dollars then. Is it possible to buy just one tuner, or do I have to buy the entire set? In my searches I've only been able to find sets of 6. Also, would it be worthwhile to try out a different tuner, or just stick with what I'm used to?

I think a full set is your only option outside of checking out ebay.

I dig the Grovers on my 2 Les Pauls and my acoustic. They're definitely a solid tuner.

You might try to find better input on the locking tuners. Somebody that uses them regularly might have a higher opinion of them than I do.
    Thanks for your input. I'll keep asking around about locking tuners before I make a final decision either way.
  • PSUS2HPSUS2H Posts: 2,151
    Sperzel is a fine USA made product. They are locking and look awesome. They are based out of Ohio I believe. If you want something else, I would look at Schaller out of Germany. They make a fine product with a high gear ratio.
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 || Chicago, IL August 29, 2024 
    Thanks for the input, I've actually been looking at those brands. Still not sure what I'm going to yet.