Options

Banned Books

fifefife Posts: 3,327
edited October 2012 in A Moving Train
So I got this email from a co-worker concerning the banning of booked.

Just found it interesting.

http://www.ala.org/advocacy/banned/freq ... edclassics
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    I am shocked at the list and of the reasons why!
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    very interesting, I intend on looking at all the links later...I find it fascinating how we have altered what we deem accceptable. I just saw an interview with Frank Durbonte (sp?) the director of the Walking Dead TV series, and he spoke about how amazed he was that he could get away with gratuitous gore. We've become more lenient on some things and more closed up about others.

If I was a successful author, I would think it an honor to make these lists. ;)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I think a majority of these challenges are probably from students trying to get out of a book report. :)
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,445
    I wonder if there has ever been a banned band book?
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,769
    Wasn't sure where to put this but I found this "banned book" thread (which I am surprised is so short!)

This to me is a serious subject and I hope some others of you feel this same.  I mean, come on, Judy Blume books setting banned?  Crazy!

Good article here:

Judy Blume: book banning now much worse in US than in 1980s

Children’s and young adult author of 1970 book Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret says growing intolerance must be challenged

The author Judy Blume says a rise in intolerance in America has led to a “much worse” epidemic of book banning than she experienced in the 1980s.

The children’s and young adult author, whose frank depictions of adolescence and puberty have long caused controversy, said it was time to fight back against censorship.

Her 1975 novel, Forever, which deals with teenage sexuality, was one of 80 books banned in one Florida school district last month, for dealing with issues such as sex, race and gender.

In an interview on the BBC’s Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg, Blume said of book banning: “I thought that was over, frankly … I came through the 80s when book banning was really at its height. And it was terrible. And then libraries and schools began to get policies in place and we saw a falling-off of the desire to censor books.

“Now it is back, it is back much worse – this is in America. It is back so much worse than it was in the 80s. Because it’s become political.”

Children’s stories have become the latest battleground in the culture wars. When Puffin Books removed some of the more pejorative language from new editions of Roald Dahl’s works, it prompted a backlash.

Public outrage is not new to Blume. When her book Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret was released in 1970, its candid portrayal of puberty caused plenty of uproar and library bans. Even her own children’s primary school refused to keep a copy.

Now a screen adaptation of the book is to be released in May, starring Abby Ryder Fortson, Rachel McAdams and Kathy Bates.

Blume said she cried when she finally got to see her work made into a film 53 years later. “I think it was my son who said to me: ‘Just wait until all those people who grew up with your books are in power in Hollywood and you’re going to see what happens.’ And I’m so glad that I’m around to see it.”

Blume’s books have sold more than 90m copies and been translated into at least 32 different languages.

Asked if she was concerned about intolerance in the US, Blume said: “Absolutely. Intolerance about everything: gender, sexuality, racism. It’s just reaching a point where again we have to fight back, we have to stand up and fight.”

Blume said she was also worried about censorship in teaching. Florida introduced a bill last month that may limit discussion of menstruation before the sixth grade and the state’s governor, Ron DeSantis, is proposing to restrict conversation about gender identity and sexual orientation in schools.

“I mean, that’s crazy. That is so crazy,” Blume said. “And it is so frightening that I think the only answer is for us to speak out and really keep speaking out, or we are going to lose our way.

“I mean, there’s a group of mothers now going around saying that they want to protect their children. Protect them from what? You know, protect them from talking about things? Protect them from knowing about things?

“Because even if they don’t let them read books, their bodies are still going to change and their feelings about their bodies are going to change. And you can’t control that. They have to be able to read, to question.”

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,320
    Ah yes the taboo subject of sexual orientation! screw that it’s going to be up to parents to teach their kids at home all about the birds & the bees, I can’t believe we are going backwards back to the 40’s, I was recently in Chile and had some really good conversations with my 85 year old aunt she was telling about how she learned at 17 how babies were conceived and born at the time she was an aide in a local clinic in Santiago Chile, so she was working in the labor delivery dept and saw 1st hand the birth of many babies after her 1st time seeing the miracle of birth she went home and asked her Mother why she had never told/explained to her the process of having kids! She says to me you know what my mother your grandmother did she beat me for asking. That was back in the late 40’s 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,986
    brianlux said:
    Wasn't sure where to put this but I found this "banned book" thread (which I am surprised is so short!)

This to me is a serious subject and I hope some others of you feel this same.  I mean, come on, Judy Blume books setting banned?  Crazy!

Good article here:

Children’s and young adult author of 1970 book Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret says growing intolerance must be challenged

The author Judy Blume says a rise in intolerance in America has led to a “much worse” epidemic of book banning than she experienced in the 1980s.

The children’s and young adult author, whose frank depictions of adolescence and puberty have long caused controversy, said it was time to fight back against censorship.

Her 1975 novel, Forever, which deals with teenage sexuality, was one of 80 books banned in one Florida school district last month, for dealing with issues such as sex, race and gender.

In an interview on the BBC’s Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg, Blume said of book banning: “I thought that was over, frankly … I came through the 80s when book banning was really at its height. And it was terrible. And then libraries and schools began to get policies in place and we saw a falling-off of the desire to censor books.

“Now it is back, it is back much worse – this is in America. It is back so much worse than it was in the 80s. Because it’s become political.”

Children’s stories have become the latest battleground in the culture wars. When Puffin Books removed some of the more pejorative language from new editions of Roald Dahl’s works, it prompted a backlash.

Public outrage is not new to Blume. When her book Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret was released in 1970, its candid portrayal of puberty caused plenty of uproar and library bans. Even her own children’s primary school refused to keep a copy.

Now a screen adaptation of the book is to be released in May, starring Abby Ryder Fortson, Rachel McAdams and Kathy Bates.

Blume said she cried when she finally got to see her work made into a film 53 years later. “I think it was my son who said to me: ‘Just wait until all those people who grew up with your books are in power in Hollywood and you’re going to see what happens.’ And I’m so glad that I’m around to see it.”

Blume’s books have sold more than 90m copies and been translated into at least 32 different languages.

Asked if she was concerned about intolerance in the US, Blume said: “Absolutely. Intolerance about everything: gender, sexuality, racism. It’s just reaching a point where again we have to fight back, we have to stand up and fight.”

Blume said she was also worried about censorship in teaching. Florida introduced a bill last month that may limit discussion of menstruation before the sixth grade and the state’s governor, Ron DeSantis, is proposing to restrict conversation about gender identity and sexual orientation in schools.

“I mean, that’s crazy. That is so crazy,” Blume said. “And it is so frightening that I think the only answer is for us to speak out and really keep speaking out, or we are going to lose our way.

“I mean, there’s a group of mothers now going around saying that they want to protect their children. Protect them from what? You know, protect them from talking about things? Protect them from knowing about things?

“Because even if they don’t let them read books, their bodies are still going to change and their feelings about their bodies are going to change. And you can’t control that. They have to be able to read, to question.”

This crazy. I remember reading many Judy Blume books as a kid and none of them traumatized me or had a negative influence on me in any way. In fact, they helped answer a lot of questions my young self had at the time. I think they should be required readings for young teens. 
  • Options
    treestrees Columbus OHIO Posts: 1,816
    fife said:
    So I got this email from a co-worker concerning the banning of booked.

Just found it interesting.

http://www.ala.org/advocacy/banned/freq ... edclassics
    Just seems so un-American [ I don't like that word .] Alot of these books sound really good 
    Thanks for the update 

PJ Cuyahoga Flalls OH 8/26/1998
    PJ Noblesviile IN 8/18/2000
    PJ Cincinnatti OH 8/20/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 8/21/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 6/24/2003
    PJ Hamilton Ontario 9/13/2005
    PJ Phiadelphia PA 10/3/2005
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/20/2006
    PJ Columbia SC 6/16/2008.....
    e.V Chicago IL 8/21/2008
    e.V Philly PA 6/11/2009
    e.V Bailtimore MD 6/14/2009...
    PJ Chicago IL 8/23/2009
    .PJ...Philly PA 10/27/2009 PJ.Philadephia PA 10/28/2009.
    PJ Columbus OH 5/6/2010
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/9/2010.
    BRAD Columbus OH 10/5/2010
    e.V St.Louis MO 7/1/2011
    .PJ.. East Troy WI 9/3/2011..PJ..East Troy WI 9/4/2011
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse Cleveland OH 10/8/2012
    RNDM Chicago IL11/13/2012
    Alice In Chains/SoundGarden Columbus OH 5/19/2013
    AIC Fort Wayne IN 5/21/2013
    PJ Pittsburgh PA 10/11/2013
    AIC Cincinnati OH 5/17/2014
    AIC Cleveland OH 5/19/2014
    AIC Indianapolis IN 8/19/2014
    PJ Cincinnati OH 10/1/2014
    AIC Cincinnati OH 8/06/2015
    RNDM Chicago IL 3/15/2016
    PJ Columbia SC 4\21\2016
    PJ Lexington KY 4/26/2016
    PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2016
    Soundgarden Columbus OH 5/20/2017 Canceled RIP Chris
    AIC Columbus OH 5/18/2018 
    PJ Chicago IL 8/18/2018 PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2018
    PJ St Louis Missouri 9/18/2022
    AIC Cuyohoga falls Oh. 8/16/2019
    SHAWNSMITH Rip 2019Mark Lanegan Band 5/18/19
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,568
    GlowGirl said:
    brianlux said:

Good article here:

This crazy. I remember reading many Judy Blume books as a kid and none of them traumatized me or had a negative influence on me in any way. In fact, they helped answer a lot of questions my young self had at the time. I think they should be required readings for young teens. 
    Regressives: Your parents are supposed to answer those questions.
    Not a book by some hippy feminist woman
    Not some government school teacher

Progressives: how's that working?
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    brianlux said:

Good article here:

Well, maybe, maybe not.  But either way, would you support having Blume's books banned?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,568
    brianlux said:
    GlowGirl said:
    brianlux said:

Good article here:

Well, maybe, maybe not.  But either way, would you support having Blume's books banned?
    FU(K NO
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,645
    edited April 2023
    GlowGirl said:
    brianlux said:

Good article here:

I clearly remember checking Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret out of my elementary school library at the age of about 8 or 9, back in the 80s, and loving that book, and nobody ever thought to remove it from the school. Canada seriously just never went there with books as far as I have ever seen. Thank god.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,674
    edited April 2023
    I’m sure Maggie Three Names dropped a few off whilst in that crime infested dirty, trashy, drugged out disgusting city. Maybe A Hero Ain’t Nothing But A Samdwich or Kafir Boy but more likely The Lorax.

Post edited by Halifax2TheMax on
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,674

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    GlowGirl said:
    brianlux said:

Good article here:

FU(K NO

I didn't think so!  :smile: