Buying a Home !!

2»

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710

Well this home-owning thing sure is off to a great start. Had to buy a new furnace in January and now have a major plumbing issue that's going to cost a few grand. Really missing my apartment in the city right about now. :angry:

Yeah, dude. We had to replace our boiler earlier this winter. Luckily one of the wife's cousins does HVAC so he was able save us a good few thousand. Not fun though.

Plumbing sucks...

We're going to have to get our floors refinished at some point. The dogs nails are too long and have gone to work on our kitchen floor.
    Yeah, a friend of my dad's is an HVAC guy so he did the furnace for us which saved us a shitload of money. The furnace was really old so we were kinda expecting that. But this plumbing thing is a real fucking mess. A pipe that is underneath our front lawn that goes to the main sewer line needs to be replaced. Going to have to do some major work on the front lawn this spring after this is all done. Good times.
    AHHHHHHHH. That, yes the main water line. That blows, dude. I am expecting that at some point as well. Ours is the original lead pipe. I can't even think about it as we have a porch and small yard out front.

How did you know it needs to be replaced?
    There's a drain on the side of our house where any excess/backup goes that was overflowing with toilet paper/water....it was fucking gross. Lucky that we have overhead sewers and it backed up outside the house and not in the basement....that would have been a real mess.

Called a plumber and they tried to rod it out, but that didn't work. They put that camera thing down there and realized that the pipe is "sunk" and all fucked up which is causing the backup. They gave me a quote which seemed high (but honestly, what the hell do I know about something like this?). Have another guy coming out this afternoon to take a look and I'll see what he says. Either way it's going to cost us a few grand...so brutal.
    Gotcha. I was always curious how you would know that pipe needs to be replaced and sounds like it will tell you.

Yeah, we had a pretty disgusting plumbing issue when we were getting work done inside the house. Was a great time.

• Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,822

Well this home-owning thing sure is off to a great start. Had to buy a new furnace in January and now have a major plumbing issue that's going to cost a few grand. Really missing my apartment in the city right about now. :angry:

Yeah, dude. We had to replace our boiler earlier this winter. Luckily one of the wife's cousins does HVAC so he was able save us a good few thousand. Not fun though.

Plumbing sucks...

We're going to have to get our floors refinished at some point. The dogs nails are too long and have gone to work on our kitchen floor.
    Yeah, a friend of my dad's is an HVAC guy so he did the furnace for us which saved us a shitload of money. The furnace was really old so we were kinda expecting that. But this plumbing thing is a real fucking mess. A pipe that is underneath our front lawn that goes to the main sewer line needs to be replaced. Going to have to do some major work on the front lawn this spring after this is all done. Good times.
    AHHHHHHHH. That, yes the main water line. That blows, dude. I am expecting that at some point as well. Ours is the original lead pipe. I can't even think about it as we have a porch and small yard out front.

There's a drain on the side of our house where any excess/backup goes that was overflowing with toilet paper/water....it was fucking gross. Lucky that we have overhead sewers and it backed up outside the house and not in the basement....that would have been a real mess.

Called a plumber and they tried to rod it out, but that didn't work. They put that camera thing down there and realized that the pipe is "sunk" and all fucked up which is causing the backup. They gave me a quote which seemed high (but honestly, what the hell do I know about something like this?). Have another guy coming out this afternoon to take a look and I'll see what he says. Either way it's going to cost us a few grand...so brutal.
    Gotcha. I was always curious how you would know that pipe needs to be replaced and sounds like it will tell you.

Yeah, we had a pretty disgusting plumbing issue when we were getting work done inside the house. Was a great time.

Yeah man, I sure am learning a lot about the way things work with houses. Before this, I just lived in apartments in the city so I was pretty goddamn clueless about most of this stuff.

Plumbing sucks...

Yeah man, I sure am learning a lot about the way things work with houses. Before this, I just lived in apartments in the city so I was pretty goddamn clueless about most of this stuff.
    Oh, yeah, dude. I was worthless when I got the house, but slowly figuring out how to do and fix things around here.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Did you know a new roof on a tiny house costs as much as a new car?

I found that out recently...I have another guy coming out to do a bid.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY said:

Did you know a new roof on a tiny house costs as much as a new car?

I found that out recently...I have another guy coming out to do a bid.

Yikes. Yeah, we have to do the silver skin coating on our roof this summer. May try to do it myself though.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,822

Plumbing sucks...

Well it turns out we don't need to do anything right away. A friend of my dad's is a plumber and he came over to take a look. He said the water is all flowing perfectly out to the sewer right now. The pipe may need to be replaced eventually, but not right away. Unbelievable how some of these contractors tell you that you need to do something that will cost several grand right away. Very relieved right now. This would have really put a dent in our vacation fund that will be used next month for some PJ shows
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434

Plumbing sucks...

Well it turns out we don't need to do anything right away. A friend of my dad's is a plumber and he came over to take a look. He said the water is all flowing perfectly out to the sewer right now. The pipe may need to be replaced eventually, but not right away. Unbelievable how some of these contractors tell you that you need to do something that will cost several grand right away. Very relieved right now. This would have really put a dent in our vacation fund that will be used next month for some PJ shows
    Can you just did up the yard and replace it yourself? I know, I know. New at this. Shovel, dirt . . . friend's dad to help give guidance. Just wondering.

RK, a roof shouldn't cost the same as a new car. How good are you at swinging a hammer? I know that you were going for metal, but . . .
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    deadendp said:

RK, a roof shouldn't cost the same as a new car. How good are you at swinging a hammer? I know that you were going for metal, but . . .

I got a bid from another guy, it was less than half of what the other guy said. My BIL wants to come out and do the roof for us.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • satansbedbugssatansbedbugs On Tour Posts: 2,412
    If you get a quote for a new roof that is over $5,000, then you should get a new quote . I have a 1,850 SF house , and that's what mine is going to cost.
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016, 2024
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022, 2023
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    Baltimore- 2024
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016 (night 2) , 2024 (night1)
    East Rutherford, New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - Lollapalooza 2007
    Seattle- Gorge 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
  • satansbedbugssatansbedbugs On Tour Posts: 2,412
    I bought a home in March 2014, and its not cheap . In the past 2 years we have :
    1. fixed our french drain
    2. added a garage entry door
    3. replaced bathroom floor
    4. added bedroom
    5. built a post and rail fence
    6. added attic access
    7. cut down 2 70 ft trees
    8. replaced basement windows

And the list keeps going , and going ....

BUT .......It IS the BEST thing Ive ever done ...... SO nice pulling into your OWN driveway
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016, 2024
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022, 2023
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    Baltimore- 2024
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016 (night 2) , 2024 (night1)
    East Rutherford, New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - Lollapalooza 2007
    Seattle- Gorge 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    have the amish do your roof work & other carpentry needs. they're well oiled machines those guys
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    chadwick said:

have the amish do your roof work & other carpentry needs. they're well oiled machines those guys

The Amish are crafty sons of bitches.
    www.myspace.com
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    in my dream home i want an indoor heated pool
    a theatre a big ass games room with snooker table and nice bar need my drinks
    a huge ensuite an orchard/veggie garden and a decent size kitchen with open plan
    dining and it would have to be a rendered home kinda mediteranian style with
    large garden pots and bird baths and a pretty picnic bbq area and a big garage
    to fit a few cars hopefully a couple vintage and some dirt bikes for good fun
    okay think i better go to sleep now getting tired..
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434

chadwick said:

Many things at my home, inside and out, are from the lovely Amish just south of us.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    We bought our first house roughly two years ago and moved in roughly a year ago. Last week, we finally put in a French door that has been leaning in the hallway for almost a year and we have started on out trims :lol: Our house is finally beginning to look really really neat. A new roof and straightening out and water proofing walls in the basement were our most expensive things. We did most of the rest ourselves. It was quite the experience, but it is so worth it!
    JWPearl said:

in my dream home i want an indoor heated pool
    a theatre a big ass games room with snooker table and nice bar need my drinks
    a huge ensuite an orchard/veggie garden and a decent size kitchen with open plan
    dining and it would have to be a rendered home kinda mediteranian style with
    large garden pots and bird baths and a pretty picnic bbq area and a big garage
    to fit a few cars hopefully a couple vintage and some dirt bikes for good fun
    okay think i better go to sleep now getting tired..

sweet dreams.
    www.myspace.com
    deadendp said:

chadwick said:

Many things at my home, inside and out, are from the lovely Amish just south of us.
    My Adirondack chairs were handcrafted by those bastards.
    www.myspace.com
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 3,047
    Owning your home can be one of the most rewarding experiences in life.

Congrats to all of the home owners here!
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,657

deadendp said:

chadwick said:

My Adirondack chairs were handcrafted by those bastards.
    They built my kid's swing set.
    Probably more solid than the house.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,953
    Reading a lot of this stuff, and, man, sooo glad we didn't go with the "fixer upper."