Perspective

ExpatriateExpatriate Posts: 53
edited September 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
At the risk of sounding "preachy" I wanted to share some of an experience I had last night. My family and I decided to make the 7.5 hour trek to Missoula for Sunday's show. We were about twenty miles from Missoula when, at about 11:25 pm, we rounded a corner in the undivided highway and discovered that we were the first on the scene of a head on collision.

It was not a good situation. Having never been in a similar situation, it is difficult to know how best to proceed. There was screaming, crying, and people trying to get away from the vehicles despite having many injuries.
Having to ask a husband not to touch his wife, checking for a pulse that I knew was non -existent at the husband's request, and telling the other driver that the paramedics where helping everyone they could after he asked if everyone was ok were some of the more difficult things I've ever done. The first responders thank you's and them saying that you did everything you could seemed insignificant.

The night gave me some additional perspective. I don't care if Pearl Jam opens with Release or something a little more obscure. I don't care if they collaborate with Jay-Z or John Tester. I almost don't care if they play 21 songs or 29 songs. I'm just happy to be in the building with some of my family and several thousand fans. It will be a few hours away from many of life's real concerns enjoying the one band that makes me smile.

Enjoy the show and most importantly travel home safely afterwards.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• that's terrible. Kudos for doing what you could to help. Makes much more sense to live in the present tense, right?
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Thank you for sharing your experience and putting things in perspective. Too often I see fretting over the insignificant stuff. Sometimes it takes the worst scenarios to make a person step back and look at the big picture. You did a great thing last night, and you should be proud of it.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Good on you for stopping. I think more people wouldn't than would.
  • thanks for sharing..good what you did
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Great job on helping out.

I agree with you re: perspective. I someone's biggest worry in life is the Jay-Z/PJ collaboration, I am very jealous of them!
  • DS1119 wrote:
    Good on you for stopping. I think more people wouldn't than would.

+1
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Since the accident was in the middle of the road almost everyone stopped. We (myself and a couple other drivers who stopped) helped them for about 20 minutes until the emergency responders arrived. We were able to assess the injured and get them to safety. I was glad to have 2 other people stop so that we were able to stay with each of the injured people.
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    I imagine that incident is going to loom large in your head for some time to come.

Every day is a gift, in't it?