Options

My Morning Jacket...

ScotInAmsterdamScotInAmsterdam Posts: 1,004
edited September 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
Right Lisbonites!!!

How are they?

I've listened to some of their stuff, and I think it's a little wierd, but I could get into it..... The arnhem boot downloaded and MMJ got ditched....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    wcswcs Posts: 17
    Personally, I think they suck. I thought they repeated the same formula over and over and those guitar climaxes don't really do anything for me. It's been done before and a lot better.

Especially on the first Lisbon night, the wait for PJ was painful because My Morning Jacket were WAY too loud.

But that's just me... other views?
  • Options
    They are one of the best live bands I've seen!

Their studio stuff is a lot more mellow and slower than what they actually play, live it's much harder and faster :)

The fans seem to love them when they open up...I saw them open up for PJ 3 times all 3 were amazing, they changed their set about 3 songs every night, and then I saw them once on their own. They have a GREAT fan base! Fans are nuts sometimes! :D

They have a new live album coming out pretty soon....I'm happy about that because I can't listen to their studio stuff, so now I can actually hear them live :)
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    they are my #2 band of all time
  • Options
    woo... some very differing views.... I get the feeling I could like them if I put in some effort... maybe it's worth the effort. I'll see them in Milan and Verona.
  • Options
    DLeoDLeo Posts: 2
    I agree with you wcs! They suck deeply :D

When we thought the music was over, they charged with another long and boring guitar solo :|
    Even the ligths guy made a mistake, when turning on the lights, because he thought the music was over lol :D
  • Options
    They sound like a kind of Country and Western Sigur Ros...
  • Options
    woo... some very differing views.... I get the feeling I could like them if I put in some effort... maybe it's worth the effort. I'll see them in Milan and Verona.

Make sure you see them, you will see the difference for sure that I talked about :)
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    People seem to have different views on this band..
    i didn't know them one moth ago. then when I saw they were going to open for PJ in Paris I bough "Z" (last album).
    It has been a really great surprise and I am sure this will be great live !!!
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Options
    they fucking rock! anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool!!! :)
    "hear my name, take a good look, this could be the day."
  • Options
    I had a boring night 3 years ago and saw that a rock band called My morning jacket were to play a small club in stockholm. So i took a chance and it´s was my best night ever. *150 people in the crowd*2.5 hours long set*And a meeting with the singer after, who so nice.
    When I bought the ticket to Bercy I had forgot that MMJ were the openers for Pearl Jam So i got to see two to the price of one.
    Don´t know if I gonna wear my MMJ shirt or my Pearl Jam shirt?
    2006 Paris, Prague
    2007 Munich, Katowice, Kopenhaven, Nijmegen
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    All the people I asked at Lisbon agreed: they suck.
    and the difference of atmosphere in the 1st act between Barcelona and Lisboa was telling of the majority of the audience opinion!

Boring average music, they do not know when to finish a song: it just drags on and on, they have zero audience interaction and I can't stand the 'vocals' (I'm not going to say voice because as it constantly goes through an effect box I have no idea what he actually sounds like..or what he sings for that matter). Bassist good, but that's not enough.

the first night I thought, I've only had 3 hours sleep, it's slow..it's normal I fall asleep..last night I was close to crying by the end...literally bored to tears...
    I'm soo going to downright hate them by the end of this tour..

never thought I'd say that but bring back Wolfmother...they kick a million asses in comparaison!!
  • Options
    Jesus, you're hard with them...
    i understand people may not like this band, which is let's say "different" but what you say is hard...
  • Options
    OlivavuOlivavu England Posts: 1,683
  • Options
    freakin uropeans what do you guys know....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    my morning jacket are great... i guess if you've never heard them they could be boring if you dont know them and are about to see pj

if you know both bands it would be amazing.. i'd love to see MMJ again especially opening for PJ!
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Options
    first time I listened to the album i didn't really like but now that I listened to it about 15 or 20 times, It's getting better every time I listen to it..
  • Options
    bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    Julien wrote:
    first time I listened to the album i didn't really like but now that I listened to it about 15 or 20 times, It's getting better every time I listen to it..

yup a grower for sure
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Options
    bharQ wrote:
    yup a grower for sure
    only place they're growing is on my nerves...

and they're definetly out of place opening for PJ, at least in Europe...
    You may have noticed that PJ is playing very hard sets in Europe so far..so they must know that's what we there for ..ROCK..

I may sound harsh, but I explained exactly what my grips were with them.
    If you like pop/soft-rock, you might love them...many North Americans seem to.
    PJ fans in Europe majoritarely don't.. so they're getting a cold response.
    Might be different in other countries..but I doubt it very much considering how international the 10c line is, if we're a representative sample.
  • Options
    i can't wait this band sounds like they really split opinion...this is art!!!!
  • Options
    i cant believe people are even debating about this.
    MMJ are fucking amazing.

Go buy "At Dawn" then "Tennessee Fire" then "It Still Moves"

Check out some of their ep's as well. A song called Cobra is absolutely amazing.

This band have been so under the radar.

Of course being from Kentucky I am sort of biased, plus it also may have something to do with what type of guys they are.

They actually sent me a birthday gift in the mail. A signed cd, just because I sent them an email stating how much I love them and wish they could come to my hometown and play at my BDAY bash, jokingly of course. I got emails back from all of them, then 2 weeks later a gift in the mail. Here are pics.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c384/pupbc12/MMJ013.jpg
    http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c384/pupbc12/MMJ012.jpg
    http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c384/pupbc12/MMJ011.jpg
    http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c384/pupbc12/MMJ014.jpg
  • Options
    No way, that's so cool! MMJ are 10 kinds of awesome.

Saw them 4x this year (twice opening for PJ) and they were amazing every time. Definitely get "Z" and let it grow on you...and then go see 'em.
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    i was kinda surprised how intense they are live, though i like the mellowness of their albums too.

jim jones - dude's got an amazing voice
  • Options
    inmyrvminmyrvm Posts: 933
    Pegasus wrote:
    and the difference of atmosphere in the 1st act between Barcelona and Lisboa was telling of the majority of the audience opinion!

Boring average music, they do not know when to finish a song: it just drags on and on, they have zero audience interaction and I can't stand the 'vocals' (I'm not going to say voice because as it constantly goes through an effect box I have no idea what he actually sounds like..or what he sings for that matter). Bassist good, but that's not enough.

the first night I thought, I've only had 3 hours sleep, it's slow..it's normal I fall asleep..last night I was close to crying by the end...literally bored to tears...

never thought I'd say that but bring back Wolfmother...they kick a million asses in comparaison!!
    i guess you don't like rearviewmirror, porch, daughter, or betterman than either
    "Fuck the talkin' let's start rockin" - Eddie Vedder 9-5-00 Pittsburgh
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

friends don't let friends listen to good charlotte
  • Options
    greatest bands of all time???

1. Led Zeppelin
    2. Pearl Jam
    3. My Morning Jacket

And how do you get off saying they are not a hard rock band? Maybe on the albums they sound not so hard, but they are not "pop" pr soft rock. The new live album is really quite great (its called OKONOKOS and the DVD of it is out in Oct. as well), its out the end of the month, but can be found online on various sites. I just wish Jim James would do Hunger Strike with PJ instead of Wolfmother's singer Andrew Stockdale. I like wolfmother a lot, but Jim James would sound a lot better. The cover of the song by The Band they did in cleveland was amazing.

They are an acquired taste, due to Jim James love of reverb on his vocals. It took me a while to get into the slower more jam like songs on the albums It Still Moves and At Dawn, but now they are my favorites. Great band. AND, Jim James is a MASTER OF MELODY.
  • Options
    inmyrvm wrote:
    i guess you don't like rearviewmirror, porch, daughter, or betterman than either
    Actually I love them (well, getting a bit tired of Betterman, which without audience participation wouldn't be as good anyway).
    But Jam on EVERY song, for 3mn at the end!.... and it's on top of the rest.
  • Options
    for the people who make fun of his voice...check out "Bermuda Highway" on the Acoustic Ep, and if you don't love that song there's something fundamentally wrong with you.
  • Options
    freakin uropeans what do you guys know....

Well they know how to spell 'europeans' for one ;)

Anywho, MMJ is pretty damn good in my opinion, listen to them almost as often as Pearl Jam and the Strokes :) and that's a lot.
  • Options
    here, you crazy cats:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustic_Citsuoca

now go forth and discover Jim's killer voice!
  • Options
    Pegasus wrote:

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. One of the things I love about MMJ is that they most likely will never be the biggest band on the planet because for many people, in order to love them, you have to give them a few listens before you really get it. This keeps out the clueless music fan, like the ones who hail the latest flavor of the month (Wolfmother) or hang on to a safe rock band that is way past their prime. Please do me a favor and don't give MMJ a chance, it's all for the best. You will be much happier with Wolfmother or whoever replaces them in the next few months.
  • Options
    marino13 wrote:
    You are certainly entitled to your opinion. One of the things I love about MMJ is that they most likely will never be the biggest band on the planet because for many people, in order to love them, you have to give them a few listens before you really get it. This keeps out the clueless music fan, like the ones who hail the latest flavor of the month (Wolfmother) or hang on to a safe rock band that is way past their prime. Please do me a favor and don't give MMJ a chance, it's all for the best. You will be much happier with Wolfmother or whoever replaces them in the next few months.

LOL

Teenager with a Jet tee asks:"Hey are My morning jacket any good?"

Me: "Don't worry about it...just move along..."

;)