I need travel advice from people in VA, KY, GA and AL

JMoJMo Posts: 1,071
edited September 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Hi,

I'm embarking on a work trip next week. I’ll be visiting customers in Virginia, Kentucky, Georgia and Alabama. I have the airfare purchased but do not have accommodations booked.

Any recommendations for places to stay and things to see along the 64, 75, 85 and 65 interstates, would be much appreciated.

If it helps, my lose plan is to drive from Waynesboro, VA to Mount Sterling, KY. Then down to Gainesville, Ga and over to Montgomery, Al. I start next Monday and end on Friday.

Let me know your thoughts and maybe what I should avoid!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    if you have the time, i would hit ashville, nc between ky and ga. if you only have a few extra hours, i would at least take the scenic route thru the mountains north of gainesville. good times
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Too bad that Minor League Baseball season will be over, my wife raved about the minor league park in Montgomery. The team sells a lot of merchandise thanks to its quirky name, the Montgomery Biscuits.

The city of Montgomery has gotten on the stick and revived a old section of their downtown area. Ask your customers there about it.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • JMoJMo Posts: 1,071
    Thank you two for the info.

I'm going to do a little research on the area, but still looking for other ideas.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Lovely driving there, you'll be by Lake Lanier when in Gainesville. Very pretty there.
    Nice accommodations on the lake. Also a short drive to an Alpine Village, the little town
    of Helen, nestled in our Georgia Mountains.

If you like wine there is also a winery in the area of Gainesville.

I agree the Asheville area is beautiful.
    Smokey Mountain National Park very cool with an old settlement and Fontana dam.
    So many happy memories there.

To avoid...
    Atlanta traffic rush hours if possible but I think most the world knows that by now.
    In traffic though ,rush or otherwise, drive very defensively and watch the signs
    and lanes. It can be confusing and people drive very fast when the road is clear.

Safe travels to you...
    enjoy! :D
    Thanks for the advice. I had a really nice trip through this area. I'm already looking forward to the chance of going back!
    JMo wrote:
    Thanks for the advice. I had a really nice trip through this area. I'm already looking forward to the chance of going back!

soooooo....where did you go.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    81 wrote:
    JMo wrote:

you can ask JMo at the party in Missoula too....he'll be stopping by on Saturday night.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    81 wrote:
    JMo wrote:

you can ask JMo at the party in Missoula too....he'll be stopping by on Saturday night.

JMo is a dude.....i thought....ah never mind....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
    81 wrote:

yeah, he's a dude. :lol: his name is Jason.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 wrote:
    81 wrote:

good thing i didn't hit send on that pm :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    81 wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:
    81 wrote:

:o :shock:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    81 wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:
    81 wrote:

:lol:
    81 wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:
    81 wrote:

:lol::lol::lol:

he's a cool guy, man. i'd forgotten that he was going to MT. fucking a...everyone's going!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    I drove through West Virginia, which I thought was going to be a dump, but it was actually really beautiful. Wild and wonderful, for sure.

I slept just outside of Lexington, Kentucky. Did a walking tour while I was there. Visited "Ashland", the home of Henry Clay, the Mary Todd Lincoln house and the downtown sites.

Stopped by the original location of KFC (which is odd for a vegetarian) on my way through Kentucky to Knoxville, TN. The smokey mountains were wonderful! I ate a little place there and onto Gainesville.

Didn't spend too much time in GA. Drove through to Montgomery and then down to Pensacola. I was working, so each day was a 12-14 hour day. Next time I'd like to camp in the mountains, and spend a little more time in Georgia.
    81 wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:
    81 wrote:

Ha! I'll make sure I wear my sexy flannel.
    JMo wrote:
    I drove through West Virginia, which I thought was going to be a dump, but it was actually really beautiful. Wild and wonderful, for sure.

I slept just outside of Lexington, Kentucky. Did a walking tour while I was there. Visited "Ashland", the home of Henry Clay, the Mary Todd Lincoln house and the downtown sites.

Stopped by the original location of KFC (which is odd for a vegetarian) on my way through Kentucky to Knoxville, TN. The smokey mountains were wonderful! I ate a little place there and onto Gainesville.

Didn't spend too much time in GA. Drove through to Montgomery and then down to Pensacola. I was working, so each day was a 12-14 hour day. Next time I'd like to camp in the mountains, and spend a little more time in Georgia.

sounds like a good trip. i agree the smokey's are awesome to hang out in.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    JMo wrote:

hey,,,,that's my plan too. we'll be a sexy pair of bitchs. :lol::lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    JMo wrote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol: safe travels, man!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com