What would you do..

LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
edited September 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
I'm closing on a condo sometime in the next few weeks, so I might be moving any day..

I am month to month now at a place that is in foreclosure and by court order my rent this month goes to the condo association, not my landlord.

My landlord has my security deposit, which I'm guessing I will never see back since he isn't even responding to the 30 day notice I gave him that I'm moving.

So like a good person, I turned in my rent to the condo association mail box before the turn of the month about 10 days ago.

10 days later, I can still see the envelope with my rent money hanging from the association mailbox. They still haven't collected it!

Do I take the check back, assume it is as my security deposit return?

Either the association will get screwed or I will get screwed. What would you do?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Take the money and run...

Isnt that how you Democrats go through life???

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Take the money and run...

Isnt that how you Democrats go through life???

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    I'm not a democrat. :lol:

Liberal Libertarian. 8-)
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    I would leave it. Or take it and call so joe blow can't take it.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • yeah make a phone call find out what's what
    I don't mean to offend anyone, a lot of what I say should be taken with a grain of salt... that said for most of you I'm a stranger on a computer on the other side of the world, don't give me that sort of power!
  • 81 wrote:
    If its still there by the end of the weekend, I think I'm going to take it and hold on to it until somebody asks me for it. I don't feel comfortable letting it sit in there that long.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
    81 wrote:
    If its still there by the end of the weekend, I think I'm going to take it and hold on to it until somebody asks me for it. I don't feel comfortable letting it sit in there that long.

i'd take it back & call them. let them know that you don't want your check to just sit there.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Obviously, if the unit is in foreclosure, the mortgage hasn't been paid in a long time. One would assume the association fees haven't been paid, either. Do you know how much the fees are? Does your one month of rent cover what could be owed to the condo association?

Was the court order directly addressed to you or the condo association? If it wasn't addressed to you, did you actually see it or did someone just tell you to give your rent to them instead?

What I'm getting at is... make sure the whole thing is legit! Our condo assoc has a board member that constantly speaks on behalf of the board when the board isn't aware... the guy tries to pull shit all the time. If the association is owed thousands of dollars, it doesn't make sense that they would ask for your rent instead of filing a lien against the property.

If you haven't actually seen any court order, by all means take that envelope and keep the money! Also, if the order is legit, you still might be able to keep the money. The association has an issue with your landlord, not you. You paid a security deposit and you know you're not getting it back. If you don't have a written lease, you could say you were told that the security deposit would cover the last month's rent.
  • Obviously, if the unit is in foreclosure, the mortgage hasn't been paid in a long time. One would assume the association fees haven't been paid, either. Do you know how much the fees are? Does your one month of rent cover what could be owed to the condo association?

Was the court order directly addressed to you or the condo association? If it wasn't addressed to you, did you actually see it or did someone just tell you to give your rent to them instead?

What I'm getting at is... make sure the whole thing is legit! Our condo assoc has a board member that constantly speaks on behalf of the board when the board isn't aware... the guy tries to pull shit all the time. If the association is owed thousands of dollars, it doesn't make sense that they would ask for your rent instead of filing a lien against the property.

If you haven't actually seen any court order, by all means take that envelope and keep the money! Also, if the order is legit, you still might be able to keep the money. The association has an issue with your landlord, not you. You paid a security deposit and you know you're not getting it back. If you don't have a written lease, you could say you were told that the security deposit would cover the last month's rent.
    There definitely is a court order. My landlord lawyer has agreed to allow my rent money to go to the association. My landlord owes about 7k to the association and about 133k on his mortgage.

If they don't pick up the rent by tomorrow, I'm going to hold onto to it until they ask for it, and hope I can get the hell out of here before so.

The lease I signed isnt specific. If they ask I will tell them my security deposit covers last months rent. Their issue is with my landlord and I'm sure he wouldn't mind if I didn't pay them. He is fighting them.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    mfc2006 wrote:
    i'd take it back & call them. let them know that you don't want your check to just sit there.

this