Options

the best Pearl Jam shows from leg 1 + 2?

askiaski Posts: 26
edited August 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
so, after attending the shows and buying the bootlegs, which shows are your favourites from leg 1 and 2?

i live in Norway, and i'm unfortunately unable to attend any PJ shows in europe this time around again... i have yet to see them live, even if i've been a fan since Ten, and have collected bootlegs for several year (200+ boots).
I want people to stay still for a while and let something they have no power over wash over them, gladly, and be a little better for it. - Jeff Buckley
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    The crowd @ Grand Rapids was soooo amped because of the 10 club seat mix up! Eddie really likes Michigan and the "experiment" evidenced it.

The Gorge crowds were kinda lame but the 100 plus degrees may expalin that. However the first night's Encores were unreal!
  • Options
    Leg One:
    East Rutherford 2, Grand Rapids, Camden 1

Leg Two:
    Gorge I, Gorge II, San Diego

rssesq - the gorge crowds this year were 1000000000x better than last years gorge crowd, crowd was REALLY good IMO
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    24veddie24veddie Posts: 267
    toronto 2 and grand rapids were fantastic.
  • Options
    thanks! i'll check out these boots! :)
    I want people to stay still for a while and let something they have no power over wash over them, gladly, and be a little better for it. - Jeff Buckley
  • Options
    Boston II
    Gorge I
    |9.5.93Gorge|2.6.95Moore|5.7.98AROSpace|7.21.98Seattle|7.22.98Seattle|10.21.00PHX|11.5.00Seattle
    |11.6.00Seattle|6.6.03Vegas|6.7.03PHX|5.25.06Boston|7.22.06Gorge|7.23.06Gorge|9.21.09Seattle|9.22.09Seattle |10.6.09LA|11.19.13PHX|11.29.13Portland|12.6.13Seattle |10.22.14Denver| 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle

EV Solo |7.15.11 Benaroya|7.16.11 Benaroya|4.13.12PHX|10.30.14Redmond|
    TOTD 11.11.16 San Fran
  • Options
    promsalpromsal Posts: 5
    San Francisco 3
  • Options
    Nakedeye66Nakedeye66 Posts: 94
    I've heard them all at least twice. My opinions are geared purely towards LISTENING to boots (crowds and visuals not considered). Only a few shows disappointed. LA1 is subpar, LA2 is average, and Cincy is sloppy. The recording error diminishes Meadowlands 2 and, though decent, the short St. Paul, Milwaukee, and Denver shows are short of a "real" PJ experience. Every other show is very good, but my special mention goes to these 10:

San Francisco 3 - The band was on a mission coming out of the short shows, and the final stretch of the tour proves it. But maybe none more so than this one. SF 1&2 aren't bad, but not up to the level of the gems on this stretch. But this third night reminds me a lot of the Buffalo show ending the first leg of '03. The last show(s) seemed more prone to hype, but shows near the end were actually better. Second only to Sweet Jane, Watchtower is arguably the most covered song of all time. For 30 years I've been listening to boots of varying quality with this song, and I now have a new favorite. Where has Untitled been? It's back here. Why is Red Mosquito so rare? It's back here. Present Tense, Why Go, In Hiding, Light Years. This show has a unique setlist and executed to the hilt. I think I'm comfortable calling this one the best, but still in the running for my personal favorite is also ...

Las Vegas - This is an unorthodox pick, as most people have fawned over the subsequent SD show and dismissed this one. Even if Ed's comments about the venue are true, it doesn't matter. And though Ed was sick, he made up for it in heart. As an opener, Inside Job is at its most appealing. The Fortunate Son-Porch closer for "W's birthday" is unmatched, with a Dirty Frank tease-tag. Also, the little Come Back tag at the end of Black is a nice twist. I love Boom, but the Benmont Tench wrinkle plus imrpov makes this one of the best Better Man versions ever. Throw in Little Sister and Parachutes for uniqueness, and LV is my sleeper pick for best show.

Santa Barbara - I'm not sure how the sets were set up. That first set isn't acoustic, but it seemed an early, shorter, mellower set ... and it's great! A superbly executed show that sees rarities Oceans, the Interstellar Overdrive Intro, and U. Grand Rapids is almost universally hailed as "the show" which, in my opinion, is based almost entirely on the first encore. Which begs the question ... where's the love for SB, the first set of which is every bit as good as the GR encore and is better as an overall show.

The Gorge 1 - Dirty Frank!! They actually played it, and with a vigor that makes it sound better with each repeated listening. As a matter of personal taste, Wash as an opener always sets a special tone (and seems to be there in so many of the best recent shows). The Mamasan trilogy opens first encore with Crown Of Thorns. Since it seems to me Footsteps and Crown Of Thorns alone gave Chicago 2 it's glowing reviews (I was there), this show has so much more overall (and outdoor shows always have a built-in advantage). Finally, Daughter gets the It's OK tag, which is a big favorite of mine and leads me to ...

Cleveland - My favorite show of leg one inching out Camden 2. The '03 show here was also superb but was similarly unheralded. Forgive the ill-fated attempt to open the show with crowd singing and this show takes off otherwise. The Daughter/It's Ok here is a tour highlight. After screwing it up every time in 2000 but playing it masterfully in 2003, Immortality is MIA this tour ... but not here. The setlist won't floor you, but the execution of this show will. I love the Roger Waters-esque megaphone on Comatose with it's slap at Detroit. The bash-other-venues banter which riddles the Grand Rapids-Cleveland-Detroit stretch is hilarious and prior to the post-Petty west coast stretch, these three dates are where the band peaked.

Camden 2 - I have frequently given love to the GR-Cle-Det trio of the first leg but this show might stand above them all. No doubt Philly has gotten it's share of special shows (and Wash openers). The '05 show was insane and the Philly 1 '00 remains my favorite from that set. An incredibly solid show and I never thought I'd enjoy Wishlist for it's rarity, but it's come to that.

Detroit - I think this is the best I've ever heard Ed sound on a recording. They wisely dump the GR-Cle idea of singalong openers with a welcome return of Long Road. Nothingman has all but disappeared but shows up here, and I think Why Go-Porch-Indifference-Kick Out the Jams-YL is the best finish of the leg. It was great to hear the Jams cover in '05, but Detroit provided the MC5 inspiration that S.America could not making this one of the very best cover performances I've ever heard from PJ.

Grand Rapids - I think it's the longest show of the tour and the first encore is remarkable. Those reasons alone make it worthy of top mention ... but the only reasons. I differ quite a bit from most fans on this point. I still think GR is a great show, but by no means THE show.

Chicago 1 - Where is the love for this show? I have been at all Chicago and Wisconsin shows from 2000 on, and with the exception of Alpine Valley in 2003, this one was the most solid. Yes, better than night 2 ... slightly better than Rosemont 2000 ... and clearly better than the Ed-belongs-in-bed-with-Nyquil UC show of '03. For the fan of less recent vintage hoping for hits, Ten gets great play including jams on even Flow and Porch that match up with ANY. Like mellow rarities? Both Low Light and I'm Open here. For No Code freaks (like me), the Present Tense was as good as I've heard. Bush detractors must love the Daughter tag. And the Blood/Atomic Dog and Indifference back-to-back at the end blew me away. A well-executed, lengthy, and great sounding show (in a venue with abysmal acoustics).

Albany - Once 30+ shows rolled in afterwards, Albany lost a bit of its luster. too bad, because this show is excellent. The return of Rats and Satans Bed, perfectly executed, are treats. The Wasted Reprise-Life Wasted works. No Code gets a nod with rarities Red Mosquito and Off He Goes. And the Porch is mindnumbingly good. The end of this show is a bit flat and sloppy, but near perfect until then.
  • Options
    Nakedeye66Nakedeye66 Posts: 94
    Dammit ... forgot to add San Diego to the list.
  • Options
    Thanks for giving Detroit some props. It seems this show was forgotten somehow. One of the better shows in my opinion from leg one. Great boot also.
    7-31-1992; 3-19-1994; 3-20-1994; 9-22-1996; 8-23-1998; 10-07-2000; 06-25-2003;
    05-22-2006; 5-09-2010; 6-26-11 (EV), 9-11-2011
  • Options
    merlin401merlin401 Posts: 216
    Leg 1:

New Jersey 2
    Grand Rapids
    Camden 2
    Boston 2

Leg 2:

Gorge 1
    San Diego
    Gorge 2 (still great if only it weren't under the shadows of day 1)

SB, SF, Portland all seem to have their supporters too...
    Jones Beach II (2000), Holmdel (2003), Camden 1, East Rutherford II, Gorge I, Gorge II (2006), MSG I, Boston II (2008), Spectrum II, Spectrum III, Spectrum IV (2009), MSG I, MSG II (2010), Prague (2012), Philly I (2013), Philly I, Philly II, Fenway I (2016), Fenway I (2018), MSG (2022)
  • Options
    nakedeye66, wow! thanks a lot for very detailed accounts of your top shows list!
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Nakedeye66 wrote:
    I've heard them all at least twice. My opinions are geared purely towards LISTENING to boots (crowds and visuals not considered). Only a few shows disappointed. LA1 is subpar, LA2 is average, and Cincy is sloppy. The recording error diminishes Meadowlands 2 and, though decent, the short St. Paul, Milwaukee, and Denver shows are short of a "real" PJ experience. Every other show is very good, but my special mention goes to these 10: . . . .

Excellent review of the shows. Thanks for the info!
  • Options
    slug420slug420 Posts: 316
    i went to hartford, meadowlands2, SF 1-2-3, gorge 1-2.

Of those shows I rate them...

SF3
    Meadowlands2
    SF2
    Gorge1
    SF1
    Gorge2

Hartford
  • Options
    i guess opinions really ARE like assholes ;)
    07/21/92 - Thunderbird Stadium (Lollapalooza)
    09/04/93 - BC Place Stadium
    07/19/98 - Pacific Coliseum
    11/05/00 - Key Arena
    05/30/03 - GM Place
    09/02/05 - GM Place
    09/04/05 - Pengrowth Saddledome
    09/05/05 - Rexall Place
    09/07/05 - Civic Union Centre
    07/22/06 - The Gorge
    07/23/06 - The Gorge
  • Options
    IwasBit10IwasBit10 Posts: 646
    Word on Chi 1, also went to most of the PJ shows in chicago and wisco in the past 6 years, and this one takes the cake for me. Yea, Chi 2 was cool as hell and a great set, but the first night rocked WAY harder. Happy to see someone has the same view on that. Can't beat Release opening, especially in Chicago.
    He floated back down 'cause he wanted to share, his key to the locks on the chains he saw everywhere.
  • Options
    drlovemonkeydrlovemonkey Posts: 394
    slug420 wrote:
    i went to hartford, meadowlands2, SF 1-2-3, gorge 1-2.

Of those shows I rate them...

SF3
    Meadowlands2
    SF2
    Gorge1
    SF1
    Gorge2

Hartford

I went to Albany, Boston 1 & 2, Hartford, and Camden 1. I like Boston 1 best simply for the crowd energy - but Hartford was definitely worst. I vote Hartford as the worst show of the tour.
  • Options
    pghaspghas Posts: 128
    I just have to add, once again, that even 2 months later I think East Rutherford 1 is a completely overlooked gem.
  • Options
    sebaarg88sebaarg88 Posts: 1,277
    Leg 1- Grand Rapids
    Leg 2- San Diego
    only love can break your heart
    but only love can brake your fall
  • Options
    pghas wrote:
    I just have to add, once again, that even 2 months later I think East Rutherford 1 is a completely overlooked gem.

I tend to agree with you there. 35 shows later that one has kind of gotten lost in the shuffle. As is the case with many others I truly enjoyed I missed that one. But I think you are right. It is one of the overlooked gems of the tour.
  • Options
    j88ryanj88ryan Posts: 66
    sebaarg88 wrote:
    Leg 1- Grand Rapids
    Leg 2- San Diego

I agree
  • Options
    CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    Nakedeye66 wrote:

Camden 2 - I have frequently given love to the GR-Cle-Det trio of the first leg but this show might stand above them all. No doubt Philly has gotten it's share of special shows (and Wash openers). The '05 show was insane and the Philly 1 '00 remains my favorite from that set. An incredibly solid show and I never thought I'd enjoy Wishlist for it's rarity, but it's come to that.

/quote]
    I really enjoyed this show too!
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • Options
    PJ23PJ23 Posts: 73
    Los Angeles night 2 is easily one of the best from this tour. Amazing version of World Wide Suicide as an opener
    98: Barrie / 00: Toronto / 03: Buffalo, Toronto, Hershey / 04: Toledo / 06: Toronto I & II / 07: Lollapalooza / 09: Toronto / 10: Buffalo, New York I & II / 11: Alpine Valley I & II, Toronto, Hamilton / 13: London
  • Options
    mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    1st leg

Camden 2 (black and Crazy Mary were amazing)

2nd leg

San Diego - One of the best shows i have ever heard. Great energy and quality of performance. A special Long Road and a stompin' Rockin' in the free world.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007