Humidifier for Acoustic Instrument Cases?

acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
edited August 2012 in Musicians and Gearheads
Heya -- Do you use a humidifier in your Acoustic Guitar or Ukulele cases?

Just scored a beautiful new KoAloha Ukulele in Hawai'i and the store bundled a small humidifier and hard case. Reading the warranty, it's voided if I don't use one! I already have a few other ukes and acoustic guitars and recall reading many many years ago that it's really not an issue here in Northern Cal, esp if they spend a lot of time in their cases (I rarely leave mine out, unpack/play/pack).

Am thinking of just buying a humador-sized humidity guage and a few more small humidifiers for my other guitars and cases -- not much money vs the price of these instruments, but want to figure out what I'm doing cause too much humidty would be bad!

Thoughts? Comments? Insights?
[sic] happens
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I think you'd be hard pressed to get "too much" humidity.

https://www.google.com/search?q=guitar+ ... e&ie=UTF-8
    I've had experiences with all three of the devices shown at the top of that search in images:
    the Planet Waves device, the Dampit devices, and the Herco Clay cups.

The Dampit devices dry rot over time and are not fun to work with (they drip)
    The Planet Waves device i recall being pretty straight forward (i think i ended up losing mine) and worked well.
    The Clay Cups are in THEORY great, all though the one i had was extremely problematic to actually get wet (seemed to be hydrophobic when completely dry)

I think the Clay Cups are touted by the manufacturer to keep your guitar humid longer than the other ones (i wanna say 3 or 4 days?)

I can not tell you how annoying the Dampit devices are. Trying to hang them through your strings. Trying to keep water off your strings. To keep it from dripping in your guitar. Etc.

Regarding a sensor. They typically are $15 to $30

but check this out:
    http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... CFAQ8wIwAA

2 in 1. Never seen that before. Neat.

Personally i HATED having to humidify my acoustic,
    and I am sad to admit this, but i eventually GAVE UP trying to do it.
    My acoustic is now VERY DRY on the inside. But if it has affected the tone. I don't know it. Maybe that's why it sounds more "tinny" or "thin" than i would like. But I couldn't have hated keeping a fucking guitar moist any more than i did, so i just stopped. It was like having a fucking baby!
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?