Neil Armstrong has died

normnorm Posts: 31,146
edited August 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Astronaut Neil Armstrong, first man to walk on moon, dies at age 82

By NBC News

Neil Armstrong, the first man to walk on the moon, died Saturday, weeks after heart surgery and days after his 82nd birthday on Aug. 5.

Armstrong commanded the Apollo 11 spacecraft that landed on the moon on July 20, 1969, and he radioed back to Earth the historic news: "That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind."

He spent nearly three hours walking on the moon with fellow astronaut Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin.

Armstrong and his wife, Carol, married in 1999, made their home in the Cincinnati suburb of Indian Hill, but he had largely stayed out of public view in recent years.

Neil Armstrong's first step on the moon and his now famous first words.

He spoke at Ohio State University during a February event honoring fellow astronaut John Glenn and the 50th anniversary of Glenn becoming the first American to orbit the Earth. In May, Armstrong joined Gene Cernan, the last man to walk on the moon, at Pensacola Naval Air Station in Florida to support the opening of The National Flight Academy, which aims to teach math and science to kids through an aviation-oriented camp.

The Apollo 11 moon mission turned out to be Armstrong's last space flight. The following year he was appointed to a desk job, being named NASA's deputy associate administrator for aeronautics in the office of advanced research and technology.

He left NASA a year later to become a professor of engineering at the University of Cincinnati.

http://cosmiclog.nbcnews.com/_news/2012 ... snews?lite
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    At least he lived a full life and is one of few who has left this World in more ways than one. RIP
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    :( he is one of the important parts of our planet history...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    Damn. RIP, Mr. Armstrong. :(
    ELITIST FUK
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    His family has released the following statement:
    “We are heartbroken to share the news that Neil Armstrong has passed away following complications resulting from cardiovascular procedures.

Neil was our loving husband, father, grandfather, brother and friend.

Neil Armstrong was also a reluctant American hero who always believed he was just doing his job. He served his Nation proudly, as a navy fighter pilot, test pilot, and astronaut. He also found success back home in his native Ohio in business and academia, and became a community leader in Cincinnati.

He remained an advocate of aviation and exploration throughout his life and never lost his boyhood wonder of these pursuits.

As much as Neil cherished his privacy, he always appreciated the expressions of good will from people around the world and from all walks of life.

While we mourn the loss of a very good man, we also celebrate his remarkable life and hope that it serves as an example to young people around the world to work hard to make their dreams come true, to be willing to explore and push the limits, and to selflessly serve a cause greater than themselves.

For those who may ask what they can do to honor Neil, we have a simple request. Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink.”

love the last graph :D
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
    RIP
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • PorchsitterPorchsitter Posts: 1,069
    So sad. The loss of a true American legend.

"What a Wonderful World" has always been one of my favorite songs. ;)

I keed, I keed!
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • I wonder if it was because of all that doping?
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    I wonder if it was because of all that doping?

:lol:
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    A hero indeed, no matter what those conspiracy theory people say about not having actually landed on the the moon and it being a movie. I love outer space stuff and look forward to further space exploration, he will be missed.
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,762
    Bad week for armstrongs.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • One small pedal, one giant ride for mankind.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,794
    SNL short "Neil Armstrong "The Ohio Years"

http://vimeo.com/31798980
    I miss igotid88
  • Wasn't he like the most famous actor ever? Thought the moon landing was an elaborate hoax? No?
    Rip
    Just, not enough.
    I need more.
    Nothing seems to satisfy.
    I said, I dont want it.
    I just need it.
    To breathe, to feel, to know Im alive.