Options

Sharing my love for Pink Floyd and Pearl Jam

luanisluanis Posts: 159
Pink Floyd and Pearl Jam. Two very different bands but with a very special place in my heart.

I was born in 1982. I remember from a very early age those moments I shared with my father listening to Pink Floyd. He introduced me to the world of music, to bands like Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Queen, Black Sabbath, you name it. But Pink Floyd is that one band that just... clicked, you know? I love all the others and I would kill to see them live (figure of speach lol) but PF stands alone in the very high pedestal I mentally created for them.
I can't even find the words to express how they make me feel, I just feel it, it's like my heart trembles and I feel this emotional wave inside me, sometimes tears come to my eyes when I think about certain songs that really mean.. everything to me, really.
When my father died back in 1998 this feeling became even stronger and it grows as years pass.

I was first introduced to Pearl Jam by the local radio, I remember Alive was the first song I heard but back then I had no idea who they were and it was Daughter that I identified as Pearl Jam.
I remember vividly seing the Ten album in my older brothers' hands, lended to him by a friend. I was about 11 then. I listened to the whole album and Release stood out, along with Black.
I bought my first PJ album in 1997, Vs. It was sold to me by a friend. I was in the 10th grade, 15 years old and my father bought me an acustic guitar that I often took to school and one of my classmates used to play PJ songs for us. It was an amazing time that I remember very fondly.
He played Nothingman and Betterman and I was mesmerized. This was the first time I saw PJ for all that it was and could be for me. I had a feeling they would stick around for years in my life. And so they did.

I saw them live for the first time in 2000, front row left side, in front of Mike. I caught one of his guitar picks but lost it a few years later. My life hasn't been easy.
I went through many difficult years after my fathers' death, it was a whirlwind of bad feelings and bad choices that will follow me 'till the end but PJ was always there. EVs voice always comforted me somehow and some lyrics just speak to me, some sentences actually make me cry because I can fit them in some particular moments I lived.

We all have favorite songs and we all want to see them play those songs live. My top 3 is Release, Nothingman and Black. The first 2 are hardly played live and I got to see my top 3 in 2010 when I last saw them. It was the perfect night, the perfect concert, the perfect setlist for me and I felt like I left my body and floated above the crowd during that show. I was that happy, like I haven't felt in over 10 years. I cried.

They were already my second favorite band then but after that show.. well I can tell you know that they are now standing alongside Pink Floyd in that very very high pedestal, in that special, exclusive place in my heart.

If you got this far, thank you for reading. I wanted to share this with someone for a long time, someone that might understand where I'm coming from. Sometimes I have the feeling the people around me have no idea of how much music means to me. Of how much PF and PJ mean to me.
I truly live for music.

I know I was born and I know that I'll die
The in between is mine
Pearl Jam:
Restelo Stadium - May 23rd 2000 ; Pavilhao Atlantico - Sep 4th 2006 ; Passeio Maritimo Alges - Jun 8th 2007 ; Optimus Alive! - Jul 10th 2010 ; NOS Alive - Jul 14th 2018

Eddie Vedder Solo:
Sudoeste Festival, Zambujeira do Mar - Aug 3rd 2012 ; Super Bock Super Rock, Meco - Jul 18th 2014
_____
Next?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,652
    Very cool, I could feel the PJ love! It is always cool to read another person's connection to PJ story and why they mean so much to them.

I really like PF as well and they are not a 'top 5' for me but for sure right around top 10. I pull up PJ's rendition of 'Mother' frequently and listen to it a few times in a row. So great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAh1jH5F_i4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86ug3YjQxAw
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Well.. I am always very sceptical when it comes to ANY band covering PF and I was nervous to see that performance. Eddie stood his ground yeah but got the lyrics wrong a couple of times. Yeah I noticed that lol.
    Pearl Jam:
    Restelo Stadium - May 23rd 2000 ; Pavilhao Atlantico - Sep 4th 2006 ; Passeio Maritimo Alges - Jun 8th 2007 ; Optimus Alive! - Jul 10th 2010 ; NOS Alive - Jul 14th 2018

Eddie Vedder Solo:
    Sudoeste Festival, Zambujeira do Mar - Aug 3rd 2012 ; Super Bock Super Rock, Meco - Jul 18th 2014
    _____
    Next?
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,652
    luanis wrote:
    Well.. I am always very sceptical when it comes to ANY band covering PF and I was nervous to see that performance. Eddie stood his ground yeah but got the lyrics wrong a couple of times. Yeah I noticed that lol.

Ed gets his own lyrics wrong frequently! :D
    I think it is just the emotion that he sings with that makes it cool.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    klusterfukklusterfuk Posts: 1,411
    I dig Floyd too.
    The future's paved with better days

Alpine Valley Resort is etched in my brain!!!

• Options
    Ed gets his own lyrics wrong frequently! :D
    I think it is just the emotion that he sings with that makes it cool.

Hahaha true but we love the guy so we allow it LOL
    Pearl Jam:

Eddie Vedder Solo:
    _____
    Next?
  • Options
    Hope you have heard Ed singing shine on with Mr. Irons, great and highly original to boot!
  • Options
    amw101282amw101282 Wisconsin Posts: 185
    Pink Floyd Animals is my favorite album and dogs is my favorite song. Also born in 82 and lost my dad 2 years ago at the age of 52. Like my dad I believe pink floyd is forever the best. Wish you were here was his eulogy. Pink Floyd and Pearl Jam share common themes of loyalty and loss in their songs both losing their original lead singer after their first albums...Andy and Syd. When my dad died release hit me like never before.
    {Alpine Valley '03/United Center '06/Summerfest '06 (Both Nights!!)/Alpine Valley '11 (PJ20) (Both Nights!!)/Wrigley Field '13}

"a truant finds home, and a wish to hold on too, he saw the trapdoor in the sun, immortality" PLEASE SUPPORT CCFA!!!
  • Options
    amw101282 said:

Pink Floyd Animals is my favorite album and dogs is my favorite song. Also born in 82 and lost my dad 2 years ago at the age of 52. Like my dad I believe pink floyd is forever the best. Wish you were here was his eulogy. Pink Floyd and Pearl Jam share common themes of loyalty and loss in their songs both losing their original lead singer after their first albums...Andy and Syd. When my dad died release hit me like never before.

It's creepy how much I relate to your words and feelings, I know EXACTLY what you mean and how you feel. Really I do.

I have the words 'wish you were here' tattooed with my handwriting on my right wrist next to my dads portrait and I plan to get a line from release tattooed aswell... this way he will always be with me.

Pearl Jam:

Eddie Vedder Solo:
    _____
    Next?
  • Options
    amw101282amw101282 Wisconsin Posts: 185
    Just saw this. Means a lot thanks. Definitely on the same page without a doubt.
    {Alpine Valley '03/United Center '06/Summerfest '06 (Both Nights!!)/Alpine Valley '11 (PJ20) (Both Nights!!)/Wrigley Field '13}

"a truant finds home, and a wish to hold on too, he saw the trapdoor in the sun, immortality" PLEASE SUPPORT CCFA!!!
  • Options
    amw101282 said:

Just saw this. Means a lot thanks. Definitely on the same page without a doubt.

Silly me wishes to someday have a chance to talk to Ed about this and let him know how much his songs mean to me, as much as PF does.
    Pearl Jam:

Eddie Vedder Solo:
    _____
    Next?