Fantasy Football draft strategy?

shadowcastshadowcast Posts: 2,182
edited August 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
I have the #11 pick out of 12 teams no PPR standard scoring.

I am going to stick with RB my 1st two picks.

Give me your thoughts on which two I should take if they fall to me. GO!!! Pardon the pun.

Lynch
Mcfadden
Forte
Murray
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,843
    shadowcast wrote:

Give me your thoughts on which two I should take if they fall to me. GO!!! Pardon the pun.

Lynch
    Mcfadden
    Forte
    Murray

I think the "you have to draft a running back first" days are behind us. I have the second pick and it's going to be Aaron Rodgers (Tom Brady if Rodgers first). If I had a later pick like you, maybe I'd go running back. But last year, I took Drew Brees with the 9th pick and he outscored every single running back that my friends took ahead of him. Unless you get one of the TOP running backs (Foster, McCoy, Jones-Drew), I think you (or anybody) will regret taking a running back high this year. In fact, after picking 2nd, I won't pick again until 23rd because it's a snake-draft. And if all the top WRs and RBs are gone, I'm might take Gronkowski and fill in my receivers and running backs later with the Antonio Browns and Reggie Bushes of the world.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • shadowcastshadowcast Posts: 2,182
    shadowcast wrote:

Lynch
    Mcfadden
    Forte
    Murray

I think the "you have to draft a running back first" days are behind us. I have the second pick and it's going to be Aaron Rodgers (Tom Brady if Rodgers first). If I had a later pick like you, maybe I'd go running back. But last year, I took Drew Brees with the 9th pick and he outscored every single running back that my friends took ahead of him. Unless you get one of the TOP running backs (Foster, McCoy, Jones-Drew), I think you (or anybody) will regret taking a running back high this year. In fact, after picking 2nd, I won't pick again until 23rd because it's a snake-draft. And if all the top WRs and RBs are gone, I'm might take Gronkowski and fill in my receivers and running backs later with the Antonio Browns and Reggie Bushes of the world.

But QB's ae deep as well as TE this year. Drew is without his coach and there is no way Gronk will have the year he did last year. So, what two RB would you take if they fell to you at #11?
    shadowcast wrote:
    shadowcast wrote:

Lynch
    Mcfadden
    Forte
    Murray

But QB's ae deep as well as TE this year. Drew is without his coach and there is no way Gronk will have the year he did last year. So, what two RB would you take if they fell to you at #11?

Yeah I wouldn't take Drew that high this year because of the Saints situation. But my point is that the top QBs will outscore the top RBs. And Gronk won't have the same year as last year, but with the 23rd pick (my 2nd pick), he'll have a better year than any RBs and WRs that will be available then.

As for you, the 11th pick is tough to project cause so many great players will go off the board ahead of you. But I'm telling you, you're gonna regret it if you take two running backs with your 11th and 14th picks. I say take the best RB available with one of those picks and the best overall player available with the other.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    shadowcast wrote:

Lynch
    Mcfadden
    Forte
    Murray

If those guys are all still available, I'd go with Forte for sure and then either Lynch or Murray. McFadden is risky with all of his injury history.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    shadowcast wrote:

Lynch
    Mcfadden
    Forte
    Murray

If those guys are all still available, I'd go with Forte for sure and then either Lynch or Murray. McFadden is risky with all of his injury history.

that's my assesment as well.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    edited August 2012
    had my last draft last night. we get .5 pts per reception, so slighty different rules...but i didn't take a RB until round 4 when i picked up steven jackson.

i know i've said this last year, but i'd rather get my WR's first. too much risk with RB's. the break down quick and new one pop up all the time.

the rest of my rb committe is a who's who of opportunity
    Doug Martin
    Evan Royster
    LaGarrette Blount
    Rashad Jennings (stay home or trade MJD and i have a steal here)

i'm loaded at WR with
    Marshall
    Andre Johnson
    Roddy White
    Miles Austin

we start 2 wr's, 2 rb's and flex on a wr/rb
    Post edited by 81 on
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    shadowcast wrote:

Yep, QBs are deep this year. If you can't get Rodgers, Brees or Brady in the first round (which you most ilkely won't with the #11 pick), then I think RB is the way to go. I ended up getting Rivers in the 5th round of my draft...I thought that was a steal. The only problem is now I have to root for that asshole.
    shadowcast wrote:

Yep, QBs are deep this year. If you can't get Rodgers, Brees or Brady in the first round (which you most ilkely won't with the #11 pick), then I think RB is the way to go. I ended up getting Rivers in the 5th round of my draft...I thought that was a steal. The only problem is now I have to root for that asshole.

Matt Ryan fell in my last draft. he's being hyped for a big season.

I snagged Cutler in round 6 or 7. no love there either. he should have a nice season.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

I snagged Cutler in round 6 or 7. no love there either. he should have a nice season.

Nice pick there with Cutler...I think he fell to around the same spot in my draft. With some actual WRs to throw to, he should have a very nice season.
    81 wrote:

Nice pick there with Cutler...I think he fell to around the same spot in my draft. With some actual WRs to throw to, he should have a very nice season.

ooops, got cutler in the 8th round of a 10 team league

7 Andre Johnson, Hou WR
    14 Roddy White, Atl WR
    27 Brandon Marshall, Chi WR
    34 Steven Jackson, StL RB
    47 Vernon Davis, SF TE
    54 Doug Martin, TB RB
    67 Miles Austin, Dal WR
    74 Jay Cutler, Chi QB
    87 Ravens D/ST D/ST
    94 Evan Royster, Wsh RB
    107 LeGarrette Blount, TB RB
    114 Rashad Jennings, Jac RB
    127 Robbie Gould, Chi K
    134 Sam Bradford, StL QB
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    81 wrote:
    81 wrote:

7 Andre Johnson, Hou WR
    14 Roddy White, Atl WR
    47 Vernon Davis, SF TE
    54 Doug Martin, TB RB
    67 Miles Austin, Dal WR
    74 Jay Cutler, Chi QB
    87 Ravens D/ST D/ST
    94 Evan Royster, Wsh RB
    127 Robbie Gould, Chi K
    134 Sam Bradford, StL QB

I have the 7th pick as well, I'd like that team. Remember, it's passing league now, and a lot of teams split carries with their backs.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    My only strategy would be to stay away from any Miami Fish. :lol:
  • NoCode416NoCode416 Posts: 416
    81 wrote:

7 Andre Johnson, Hou WR
    14 Roddy White, Atl WR
    47 Vernon Davis, SF TE
    54 Doug Martin, TB RB
    67 Miles Austin, Dal WR
    74 Jay Cutler, Chi QB
    87 Ravens D/ST D/ST
    94 Evan Royster, Wsh RB
    127 Robbie Gould, Chi K
    134 Sam Bradford, StL QB

you have great receivers, no doubt, but one of them won't even play week-to-week, whereas you're very thin at RB... not to mention, you'll be forced to start a no-name at RB when Martin and/or SJax is on bye week. don't you think your team would have looked a little more solid if you had done this:

7 Matt Forte, Chi RB
    14 Roddy White, Atl WR
    47 Vernon Davis, SF TE
    54 Doug Martin, TB RB
    67 Miles Austin, Dal WR
    74 Jay Cutler, Chi QB
    87 Ravens D/ST D/ST
    94 Evan Royster, Wsh RB
    127 Robbie Gould, Chi K
    134 Sam Bradford, StL QB

more options, still loaded at WR...

RBs are most important in fantasy because:
    QB/TE - every NFL team has one starting QB/TE, and every fantasy team has one as well.
    WR - every NFL team has two starting WR, and most fantasy teams have two as well.
    RB - every NFL team has one starting RB (sometimes effectively none bc of RB committees (i.e. Carolina)), but most fantasy teams require two.

RBs are at least twice as hard to come by as WRs... this is just one man's opinion though... you're absolutely right about fragility of RBs vs. WRs.

That said, i think OP is correct to grab two RB's... Forte should definitely be one of them, but I wold hope to get him with my second pick... maybe CJ1k will be available... then grab Forte on the return.
    Forte was gone when i made my second pick. i was prepared to take him.

i stand by my draft. yes i am thin at RB on paper. i prefer to draft staud wr's early and fill in with prospect rb's later. i've hit on Foster, Forte and Gore in their first years of stardom. I think Martin is next in line, and i'm hoping Royster or Jennings sneaks up and suprises this year. we'll see.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    NoCode416 wrote:

Not necessarily. Totally depends on what type of league you are in. I think 81 said it's a PPR league so I think that's a great strategy going with WRs the first 3 picks.
    NoCode416 wrote:

Not necessarily. Totally depends on what type of league you are in. I think 81 said it's a PPR league so I think that's a great strategy going with WRs the first 3 picks.

My league is PPR and we start 3 WR- so 81's draft would be killer for me
    NoCode416 wrote:

My league is PPR and we start 3 WR- so 81's draft would be killer for me

81's team is only a 0.5ppr.
    and 81's team only starts two WRs.
    i was going by his league's settings, wherein 81 will have miles austin on the bench instead of a 1st round RB.

also, 81 can still capitalize on potential gem RBs... and then use for depth or trade bait.

my point is that the most scarce position is RB... by far. so you have a big leg up if you have a couple studs at RB.
    i can start 3 wr's
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    thinking of picking Alex Smith rd 1
    LloydXmas wrote:
    thinking of picking Alex Smith rd 1

brilliant stategy
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,148
    Doing a mock right now with pick #12. First four rounds over- picked an elite player in 4 main positions so far

RB- Forte
    TE- Graham
    WR- Steve Smith
    QB- Eli
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    We just switched to a PPR (.5) league this year with the following

Quarterback (QB) 1
    Running Back (RB) 2
    Running Back/Wide Receiver (RB/WR) 1
    Wide Receiver (WR) 2
    Wide Receiver/Tight End (WR/TE) 1
    Tight End (TE) 1
    Team Defense/Special Teams (D/ST) 1
    Place Kicker (K) 1
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    Doing a mock right now with pick #12. First four rounds over- picked an elite player in 4 main positions so far

RB- Forte
    TE- Graham
    WR- Steve Smith
    QB- Eli

I've actually never done a mock draft but since I'm off today, maybe i'll try one.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    SVRDhand13 wrote:

RB- Forte
    TE- Graham
    WR- Steve Smith
    QB- Eli

I've actually never done a mock draft but since I'm off today, maybe i'll try one.

i tried one once, and was quickly bored.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    NoCode416 wrote:

also, 81 can still capitalize on potential gem RBs... and then use for depth or trade bait.

my point is that the most scarce position is RB... by far. so you have a big leg up if you have a couple studs at RB.

I used to be on the idea you have to get 2 RB early in the first 2-3 rounds, then I started getting killed by taking a good RB over a top WR, or even top QB. Now I disagree to a point, I think there are a few RB worth taking high over almost anyone, Foster, Rice, CJ2k, and RB that catch like Forte and MJD. I think there are too many teams that use 2-3 backs,or teams that have backs go in at the goal line and rob TD's from starters. But I think there are now more points in the elite WR than there are in the middle tier of RB. So I would say if you were at 11/12 don't just grab 2 RB to have them if you are leaving an elite WR on the board who will score more points.
    best player available
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    SVRDhand13 wrote:

RB- Forte
    TE- Graham
    WR- Steve Smith
    QB- Eli

Yeah that's what's kept me from doing one. Figured it's a bore. But last year was far and away my best fantasy football year and I feel I need just a little something extra to build on it. I was very much like last year's Packers; a dominate regular season but I got blown-out in my first playoff game. I still won $300 for best regular season record...but I wanted that championship.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,148
    81 wrote:
    SVRDhand13 wrote:

RB- Forte
    TE- Graham
    WR- Steve Smith
    QB- Eli

I will do at least 10 before my actual draft- no joke

You get to see patterns that you normally wouldnt notice and it helps to develop your own personal strategy depending on your pick number. It makes your team come out MUCH better.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
    81 wrote:
    i can start 3 wr's

yes, but you have 4.

but like you said further down the thread, you take the best available... what i'm saying is that all other things being equal, you take the RB over the WR...
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Had my draft last night. We do a 0-2 player keeper league. If you keep a player you have to minus 2rds from lst yrs draft rd. Plus the player has to be on an active roster all year to qualify. So alot of good guys were gone before the draft started. I ended up with the 9th pick out of 10. You can start 2-2,3-1 or 1-3 Wr,Rb combo.

9. Brees
    12. DMC
    29. B. Marshall
    32. B. LLoyd
    49. D.Jackson
    52. W. Mcgahee
    69. D.Brown
    72. B. Tate (Poss keeper for next yr on a team other then Hou)
    89. B. Celek
    92. Big Ben
    109. Hou
    112. Janikowski
    129. M. Williams(tb)
    132. D. Hayward-bay(Poss sleeper for next yr)
    149. Kaeding
    152. M. Bennett(nyg)
    169. Den
    Go Birds!!!!