Need your ideas - opening a deli (first post updated)

2»

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,871
    DS1119 wrote:
    iluvcats wrote:
    so, you will not have to work late or on weekends if you own your own deli?
    I did not read this whole thread, but please be sure to serve "roadkill" in case Honey Boo Boo's family (Toddler and Tiaras -- beauty pagent) stop by. Have lots of mountain dew and red bull for her.
    My first real job (besides babysitting) was in a deli in a grocery store when I was 17 in 1977. We had lots of junk food like bologna and when it turned green, the manager said to throw it into the ham salad that they made from all end pieces of lunch meat :) p.s. when the hot dogs turned green, we put them into the ham salad per mgmt.

Good luck and it sounds exciting.

Well this is a positive addition to the thread. :? Certainly a wonderful way to piss on someone's dream and aspirations. The OP seems like a chill guy who has his head on straight and to post something like this is straight bullshit actually. :nono:
    so we're serious on AET but not on AMT? okie dokie.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Jax is a big enough market I should think for my former employer to have a store there. Maybe even the parent company Jetro.

For a food vendor , look into Restaurant Depot. Wholesale cash and carry for restaurants and food service. Good product at decent prices. Items might not be cheaper across the board but overall you could save some money.

http://www.restaurantdepot.com
    10-4, we have restaurant depot. Is that who you used to work for? I've actually bought knives there before, pretty fun store for anyone that likes to cook. Thanks for the tip :)
    oh yeah man. I used to be Deli Manager which oversaw all of refrigerated/frozen product.

They have different serving containers too. I kinda see wrapped in wax type paper fpor your better sandwichs? Ton of stuff there. Over 10K different products. When you have some time, take a walk around and get some ideas and pricing to help you get going.

Likely couldnt get a membership card(free!!!) just yet til you had a business license and/or a fed tax ID#. But they should let you walk around. Talk to the employees. Let em know what your plans are and they can offer some suggestions. This was one of my fave parts of the job.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    mickeyrat wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    iluvcats wrote:
    so, you will not have to work late or on weekends if you own your own deli?
    I did not read this whole thread, but please be sure to serve "roadkill" in case Honey Boo Boo's family (Toddler and Tiaras -- beauty pagent) stop by. Have lots of mountain dew and red bull for her.
    My first real job (besides babysitting) was in a deli in a grocery store when I was 17 in 1977. We had lots of junk food like bologna and when it turned green, the manager said to throw it into the ham salad that they made from all end pieces of lunch meat :) p.s. when the hot dogs turned green, we put them into the ham salad per mgmt.

Well this is a positive addition to the thread. :? Certainly a wonderful way to piss on someone's dream and aspirations. The OP seems like a chill guy who has his head on straight and to post something like this is straight bullshit actually. :nono:

Theres always a seriousness and a jokiness when I post no matter the forum to be forthright. The OP is looking for advice. Not to be be pissed on.
    DS1119 wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    [quote="iluvcats"so, you will not have to work late or on weekends if you own your own deli?

Theres always a seriousness and a jokiness when I post no matter the forum to be forthright. The OP is looking for advice. Not to be be pissed on.[/quote]
    Hmm, so we started off with a question, honest one at that. Moved on to humor, then shared their experience.Ends with the bolded sentence and this is wrong how?

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    First off, I think this is an awesome idea and best of luck throughout.

I lived in Jax for 4 years. One of the things that bothered me was when I wanted pizza, it was Papa John's, Pizza Hut, or Dominos.
    When I wanted a sub, it was Subway, Larry's Giant Subs, or Firehouse Subs.
    When I wanted a nice Italian meal it was either Bertucci's, Olive garden, or some other chain.

You get the point.

There was never a small, one-off, independent restaurant or shop. It was all chain stores.

My suggestion(and I have NO restaurant experience except eating in them) is keep it simple. I tend to stay away from Panera Bread and places that have crazy stuff on the menu. There is a great sub shop near me here in MA that has all the normal subs people like. One thing I like is they order their meats and cut them to order deli-style. Not like subway where all the meats are pre-sliced in trays. All the ham salad and chicken salad are homemade. meatballs, chicken cutlets and sauce are all made in store. You don't need crazy ciabatta bread and all that fancy stuff to entice customers. But a little personal twist to make it unique is always a good thing. Good luck and I when I am in Jax next I look forward to trying your place out. 8-)
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
    mickeyrat wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Jax is a big enough market I should think for my former employer to have a store there. Maybe even the parent company Jetro.

For a food vendor , look into Restaurant Depot. Wholesale cash and carry for restaurants and food service. Good product at decent prices. Items might not be cheaper across the board but overall you could save some money.

http://www.restaurantdepot.com
    10-4, we have restaurant depot. Is that who you used to work for? I've actually bought knives there before, pretty fun store for anyone that likes to cook. Thanks for the tip :)
    oh yeah man. I used to be Deli Manager which oversaw all of refrigerated/frozen product.

They have different serving containers too. I kinda see wrapped in wax type paper fpor your better sandwichs? Ton of stuff there. Over 10K different products. When you have some time, take a walk around and get some ideas and pricing to help you get going.

Likely couldnt get a membership card(free!!!) just yet til you had a business license and/or a fed tax ID#. But they should let you walk around. Talk to the employees. Let em know what your plans are and they can offer some suggestions. This was one of my fave parts of the job.
    back on track. How about soups? any thoughts on that?

• oh, dont get me started...i have so many awesome soup recipes. Problem is it's so fucking hot down here 9 months out of the year! But yea, Dec-Feb there could be a market for soups. Thanks again for all the advise peeps.

and DS/Iluvcats, chill. no one's comments offended me in anyway. It takes a lot to offend/upset me :P
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    I worked in a deli for a while when I was in high school. three words of advice...

boar's head lunchmeat

that stuff is the best...after working at a place that only served this brand, I cannot eat anything else. it is that much better

good luck man...