Opinions on Guitar Strings

Hello,

I was hoping to get some opinions on guitar strings.....
1. Do people use different brands on different guitars (for example my 335 I have been trying DR Blues and gibson vintage...and for my tele more punchy just put on D'adarrios and love them...) or do you use one type straight across...
2. What brand has been the best for you???

Background...I have played for many years and always went with ernie ballregular slinky out of habit ...now I have been trying different types of strings to see what is best...I just bought a few packs of DR Blues and broke strings on both packs within a week of putting them on....I havnt broke strings in years...(calmed my playing down since moving away from punk and hardcore and in to blues.) I was surprised as they were more expensive

Looking for any opinions/perspectives on strings ....
Toronto - 1996, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2011 1 & 2.
Buffalo - 2010
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I used to LOVE the Boomers from gHs but their quality has plummeted IMO. I love ELixers on my acoustic. I've used a few other coated strings and they don't stand up to the great quality of elixers. I'm back to Slinkys on my electrics (started using them in 2004, stopped in 2005). I used to use Martin (SP and Marquise) on my acoustics but weren't sold on them. The D'addario strings were okay but after Elixers, I won't go back. I use different gauges on different guitars (strat and Les Paul get 10s or 9s, SG gets 10s, Tele gets 10s, Mustang gets 8s). Sorry this is jumbled. I'm typing as my mind races. Hope this helps. Also, gHs fast fret lasts forever and is a GOD SEND! Try it out. It's a cleaner for the strings and gives you a nice sleek feel.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • I tend to just use the same stuff on all my electrics. The latest trend for me have been Ernie Ball Classic Pure Nickles. Now I have different gauge strings depending on the guitar....
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    I've started with Ernie Ball 10s, went through a phase with GHS David Gilmour signature that were 10.5s, Dunlop, Daddario and GHS Boomers in 11s and finally settled back on Ernie Balls 11s. Nothing has that combination of sound and durability that Ernie Balls have.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I started using D'Addario EXP coated strings on my acoustics years ago, and I just keep using them. I love the sound of aged strings on acoustics, when they mellow out and get really warm. I realize some people like really bright acoustic strings, like Elixers or brand-new strings, but I can't stand the cutting treble. The D'Addarios feel just like regular strings to me, not super-slick (again, this is my personal preference, and not everybody likes the same thing). And since they are coated, they can age and last a lot longer in my personal "sweet spot" for tone. If I was playing out more often, getting my strings sweaty and greasy and dirty and worn-out, I would maybe switch back to conventional strings, considering I'd be replacing them a lot more often.

On electrics, I started out using Ernie Ball strings, but I found them to be too "slinky" for my taste. I switched to GHS Boomers, and I loved them for a long time. Recently, since I had good luck on the D'Addario EXP acoustic strings, I decided to try them on my electrics, and I've been happy with them. I also recently switched my main electric (a Tele) to 11s, I've used nothing but 10s up until now. I think I will switch my Strat to 11s and keep my LP on 10s, at least for now. I love the bigger tone the 11s get, and I can't stand how skinny and flimsy 9s feel. The D'Addario EXPs for electric have a pretty standard feel to them, not super-slick or plastic-y like Elixer electric strings. I guess I just prefer the feedback my fingers get from having thicker, rougher strings to grip. Again, if I was playing out a bunch and abusing my strings (and then replacing them waaaay more often), I would probably switch back to conventional strings. I would probably go to DRs or Boomers, but I would probably try a few out and see.

The last bass strings I bought were Boomers, but I might try the D'Addario EXP on bass and see if they hold up.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.