The thin line between life and death (be careful out there!)

brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,692
edited August 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Life really in tenuous. Having come close to death too many time already, I try not to think about this too much-- even though it is worth pondering over at times.

Today was another close call. I nearly got run over in a parking lot today. A lady in a big SUV cam tearing around a corner and just missed me. This parking lot is near a busy highway so I didn't hear her coming. Fortunately, I still have pretty good reflexes. After moving on I suddenly had this flash in my mind of what would it would have been like if I'd been hit. That much vehicle going that fast would have very likely killed me- and it was close! I was really shaky for a while after that.

Be careful out there!
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    brianlux wrote:
    Life really in tenuous. Having come close to death too many time already, I try not to think about this too much-- even though it is worth pondering over at times.

Today was another close call. I nearly got run over in a parking lot today. A lady in a big SUV cam tearing around a corner and just missed me. This parking lot is near a busy highway so I didn't hear her coming. Fortunately, I still have pretty good reflexes. After moving on I suddenly had this flash in my mind of what would it would have been like if I'd been hit. That much vehicle going that fast would have very likely killed me- and it was close! I was really shaky for a while after that.

Be careful out there!

Yeah..how bout YOU be careful out there! :D

I thought about that a lot yesterday too. Daughter (VERY pregnant) and I driving down a 2 lane highway. 2 cars ahead of us someone slams on their brakes. Car in front of us of course slams on their brakes too. I slam on my brakes, didn't really think I'd be able to stop in time, but did. As I was stopping I was looking in my RVM because I knew there was a Harley behind me...being in PA, no helmet of course. I was so scared that he was going to slam right into the back of us. As I looked back he was swerving into the oncoming lane, and I saw him mouth the words Oh SHIT! In the end he was OK, he never dropped the bike. But Pheewww...you just never know.

Yes, be safe out there.
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,692
    StillHere wrote:

OH YEAH! I get to a corner or cross the street now and I'm like, look left, look right, look left...

look left, look right, look left...

look

look

look look look...

run like hell!
    :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    brianlux wrote:
    StillHere wrote:

OH YEAH! I get to a corner or cross the street now and I'm like, look left, look right, look left...

look

look

look look look...

run like hell!

That's me normally. I have a phobia about that. :? :fp: :lol:
    DS1119 wrote:
    brianlux wrote:
    StillHere wrote:

look

look

look look look...

run like hell!

That's me normally. I have a phobia about that. :? :fp: :lol:

Sounds more like good survival instincts! :thumbup:

• dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    cool all are ok...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • guacamolejoeguacamolejoe Posts: 2,396
    Believe me, you never know what day could be your last :o .

I had a few close calls too.
    I was actually given my last rights twice in 1 night :eh: .

Still living my "bonus time" :mrgreen: .
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!

Good show! Every day is a gift. :thumbup:

• dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    brianlux wrote:

Good show! Every day is a gift. :thumbup:
    and we let so many gifts to get away....
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    Yes, carpe diem, but with open eyes :thumbup:

I felt the same after that truck rear-ended me a couple of days ago. Nothing happened to me, apart from a big surprise and a bruise from the seatbelt (knock on wood), but I still get scared every now and then to think what could have happened if the truck would have been faster. It could have crushed me in my tiny car :?
  • FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100
    I came close to death because of sickness and how much the doctors at the hospital i went to suck at there job....

Luckily I was able to get out of there and into a different hospital in time for emergency surgery...

I have been consciously more careful when driving after finding a certain subreddit showing fatal car accidents in gif form... :sick::cry:
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Yeah it's crazy but after the heart attack, I honestly have lost my fear of death and am enjoying my life so much...

Maybe too much :lol:
    Which might bring the big one :shock:

Oh great :|
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • guacamolejoeguacamolejoe Posts: 2,396
    Yeah it's crazy but after the heart attack, I honestly have lost my fear of death and am enjoying my life so much...

Maybe too much :lol:
    Which might bring the big one :shock:

Oh great :|
    Too Much :fp:

Moderation is the key to a Happy Life :ugeek:
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!