7 Of The Healthest Foods You Should Be Eating But Aren't

g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
edited August 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
pomegranate_1.jpg

I gather luckly being a vegetarian I do eat on a regular basis 6 out of the 7 of the Healthiest Foods You Should Be Eating But Aren't....Kefir I'll have to look up at Whole Foods. I think better than Gatorade is fresh coconut water after a long bicycle ride.

What healthy foods out there do you all try to eat?

Peace
*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
.....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    g under p wrote:
    pomegranate_1.jpg

I gather luckly being a vegetarian I do eat on a regular basis 6 out of the 7 of the Healthiest Foods You Should Be Eating But Aren't....Kefir I'll have to look up at Whole Foods. I think better than Gatorade is fresh coconut water after a long bicycle ride.

Peace

pomegranates - YES yummy!
    kale -
    sardines -
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    g under p wrote:
    pomegranate_1.jpg

Peace

kale - so rarely
    sardines - just can't
    pomegranates - YES yummy!
    oatmeal - all the time,love the stuff
    quinoa - if i have dinner at my daughter's house, chances are
    kefir - does yogurt count?
    lentils - in soup in the winter..which is also when and where i have kale

good list :D
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    g under p wrote:
    pomegranate_1.jpg

Peace

When I was younger I used to eat the pomegranate fruit on a more regular basis. ( My dad would buy it )
    That is one difficult fruit to eat... :)

I do buy the Pom Juice once in awhile.
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Posts: 3,635
    I am definitely making this over the weekend, thanks!

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/grits ... erole.html
    Nice shirt.
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    I am definitely making this over the weekend, thanks!

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/grits ... erole.html

Well look who's here...
  • QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Posts: 3,635
    Well look who's here...

:wave:
    Nice shirt.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Might as well rename this title "7 things I have never had". :lol:
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    Well look who's here...

:wave:
    hi sexy... 8-)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    pomegranates is on of the best thngs to eat to get power.....for shake the tree.....
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,148
    I eat 4 of the 7 pretty regularly- not bad I guess

I put Kale in smoothies all the time. The trick is to put enough fruit to hide the taste.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • awilkinsawilkins Posts: 984
    I eat everything on that list on a very regular basis, save for the Kefir (never had it and not really my thing) and sardines (vegetarian).

Quinoa might possibly be the best thing ever!
    awilkins wrote:
    I eat everything on that list on a very regular basis, save for the Kefir (never had it and not really my thing) and sardines (vegetarian).

Quinoa might possibly be the best thing ever!

I agree - I do eat most of the foods on the list -

I just added Quinoa to my daily diet - and I just love it !!!! ( I can no longer eat rice - too heavy on my system ).
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Is it a bad sign that I've never even heard of four of those foods?

:think:
    Jason P wrote:

yes, - very bad... now go out and get those 4 foods and try them ;)
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    mikalina wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

yes, - very bad... now go out and get those 4 foods and try them ;)
    I just ordered some quinoa and lentils. I need to start eating more healthy so I might as well try some new options.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    g under p wrote:
    pomegranate_1.jpg

Peace

My wife introduced me to several of those things. (She's vegetarian and a health nut...I think she's already added a few years to my life form altering my diet).
    G, have you ever heard of Darbster?
    http://www.darbster.com/
    Its a restaurant for vegan/vegetarian. I had a quinoa loaf there and it was awesome. Its on dixie hwy near the Lake worth/WPB border. Great place.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i'm always wary of when they publish these lists ... like who's getting paid to write what ...

having said that ... i eat all that stuff regularly except for kefir ... actually had everything except the kefir and sardines in the last 2 days ... i also like to supplement these foods with following ...

hamburgers
    game meat
    french fries with gravy ...
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    http://whfoods.org/

i like this website, it's been around for a long time. it'll also tell you what nutrients you are lacking.
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    g under p wrote:
    pomegranate_1.jpg

Peace

Vegetarian eating sardines :?

Anyway, from what I've read oats and lentils are full of anti-nutrients which cause vitamins to be bio-unavailable, i.e. they prevent you from absorbing vitamins and minerals. I'll try and dig out the stuff I've read if anyone is interested.
  • PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
    polaris_x wrote:
    i'm always wary of when they publish these lists ... like who's getting paid to write what ...

having said that ... i eat all that stuff regularly except for kefir ... actually had everything except the kefir and sardines in the last 2 days ... i also like to supplement these foods with following ...

hamburgers
    game meat
    french fries with gravy ...

I LOVE gravy. I had a meeting in Calgary a few years back, the guys took me to a brewery called 'Brewsters' - delicious beers...I ordered a bison burger (which was also yummy)...the waitress asked me "fries or garlic mashed potatoes"...I replied "fries, please, its a burger..." then, like an angel sent from above, her next statement was the most beautiful - harp-like - melody I have ever heard to this day: "would you like gravy with your fries?" I exploded with a resounding "YES - where have YOU been my entire life"...the guys at the table saw this American literally weep with joy and asked "Have you never heard of poutine?" They had her throw some cheese curds on that mound of lucious gravy and fries and my pants have never fit the same since...
    It is not a healthy food (or so I've been warned/told) but I'd vote it as #8 on the Healthiest Foods You should be eating right now
    :D
    11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
    7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
    8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
    11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
    2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24~9.29.24
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Kale is amazing, love it.
    Quinoa, yes.
    Lentils, yes.
    Pomegranates, not too often.
    Sardines, never really tried em.
    Kefir, occassionally.
    Oatmeal, I get a lot of that too.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,217
    5 out of 7 for me

Q & K i've never tried ...

I grew up eating the others ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    Oatmeal was an instrumental part of the reason I lost 30 pounds since February.