[PSA] Explosive toilet

8181 Posts: 58,276
edited August 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... 4212.story

The United States is recalling millions of faulty flushing mechanisms that have caused toilets to explode, creating “laceration risks” for toilet users.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission issued the warning about the Flushmate III Pressure-Assisted Flushing System, which was sold at Home Depot and Lowe’s stores and to toilet manufacturers American Standard, Crane, Kohler, Eljer, Mansfield, St. Thomas and Gerber.

The recall applies to devices manufactured between 1997 and 2008 -- about 2.3 million in the United States and 9,000 in Canada.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission said Flushmate has received 304 reports of the product bursting, with 14 “impact or laceration injuries.”

Anyone who owns a toilet with the recalled system should shut off the water connection to the toilet and contact Flushmate at (800) 303-5123 to request a free repair kit, the Consumer Product Safety Commission said in a recall notice.

Earlier this month, a Las Vegas woman sued Flushmate and its parent, Sloan Valve Co., in federal court in Los Angeles. The woman, Maralee Pelka, said the faulty device caused her toilet to malfunction and leak.

The lawsuit contends that the repair kit offered in the recall is inadequate and the entire flushing system needs to be replaced by a professional plumber. Her lawsuit seeks class-action status and unspecified monetary damages.

you've been warned. :lol:
81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    lacerations! holy crap
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    that's shitty news
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    norm wrote:
    that's shitty news

Yeah, total crap if ya ask me.
  • shepshep Posts: 5,763
    norm wrote:
    that's shitty news

This kind of toilet humor could persist for days...
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
    shep wrote:
    norm wrote:
    that's shitty news

This kind of toilet humor could persist for days...

It will all be out of my system soon.
  • so many toilets being blown up
    the shit has hit the fan...
    Apparently, the makers of the Flushmate have always wanted to blow shit up.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    How can a toilet explode?

you ever eat a bean and cabbage burrito?
    norm wrote:

you ever eat a bean and cabbage burrito?

hehehe nope

use assplosives
    superToilet.jpg

Nascar Toilet
    superToilet.jpg

Nascar Toilet

That is the most redneck thing I've ever seen.
  • shepshep Posts: 5,763
    I just laughed so hard a pooped my pants...

what a great thread. :lol::lol::lol:

how long before it gets flushed?
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    superToilet.jpg

Nascar Toilet

Cool, Is there a bidet version?
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    This thread really chaps my ass!
    superToilet.jpg

Nascar Toilet

I had to look that up :shock: :lol: , this ain't Europe buddy
    New toilet technology after 150 years of waste
    By Donna Gordon Blankinship, Associated Press

SEATTLE – These aren't your typical loos. One uses microwave energy to transform human waste into electricity. Another captures urine and uses it for flushing. And still another turns excrement into charcoal.

They are part of a Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation competition to reinvent the toilet for the 2.5 billion people around the world who don't have access to modern sanitation.

Scientists from around the world have taken up the challenge, and the foundation announced some projects Tuesday that will be getting more money to take their ideas from the lab to cities.

There, local entrepreneurs will use the new technology to turn pollution into cash.

"We couldn't be happier with the response that we've gotten," Bill Gates said.

To pass the foundation's threshold for the world's next toilet, it must operate without running water, electricity or a septic system, not discharge pollutants, preferably capture energy or other resources, and operate at a cost of 5 cents a day.

The United Nations estimates disease caused by unsafe sanitation results in about half the hospitalizations in the developing world. About 1.5 million children die each year from diarrheal disease.

Scientists believe most of these deaths could be prevented with proper sanitation, along with safe drinking water and improved hygiene.

The foundation expects to field test its first prototypes within the next three years.

Most of the prototypes on display this week in the open courtyard of the foundation's Seattle headquarters turn solid waste into energy. This is both a practical and pragmatic solution to the solid waste puzzle, said Carl Hensman, program officer for the foundation's water, sanitation and hygiene team.

Many recycle waste into other usable substances such as animal feed, water for irrigation, or even just energy and water to run their own systems.

Some, like the winning project from Caltech, use chemistry and engineering to completely transform the waste.

Clement Cid, a Caltech grad student from Trouillas, France, said it has been intellectually rewarding to work with scientists from a variety of specialties.

"You can come up with great ideas," he said, adding that the toilet fair offered more opportunities for idea sharing.

Other projects on display were not so high-tech, including one from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine that sends black soldier fly larvae inside latrines and even home toilets to process waste, resulting in high quality, environmentally friendly animal feed at a cost of a penny a day.

The fly larvae project is already being field tested in Cape Town, South Africa, and the inventors are working on a kit to sell to entrepreneurs. They have had inquiries from Haiti, Sudan, Kenya and Ghana about adopting the approach.

"At the end of the day it will look very low-tech, but there's a lot of science behind it," said Walter Gibson, a medical biochemist who is part of the development team.

The Gates toilet focus started just about a year ago, and including grants announced Tuesday, $370 million in foundation dollars have been committed to reinventing the toilet. Hensman said the foundation decided to hold a toilet fair this week to show how far the scientists have gotten in that time, and to give them an opportunity to learn from each other and potentially collaborate.

Among those scheduled to attend the toilet fair were government ministers from African nations, utility workers and potential financial partners like UNICEF and Oxfam.

Reinventing the toilet has the potential to improve lives as well as the environment.

Flush toilets waste tons of potable drinking water each year, fail to recapture reusable resources like the potential energy in solid waste and are simply impractical in so many places.

Gates predicted the result of this project would reach beyond the developing world.

"If we do it right, there's every possibility that some of these designs would also be solutions for rich and middle-income countries," Gates said.
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388

I rented a house in Las Vegas with a bunch of friends a few years ago and it had a bidet. None of us used it for real but it was a lot of fun when we were hammered at 5am :lol:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    Mamasan23 wrote:

I rented a house in Las Vegas with a bunch of friends a few years ago and it had a bidet. None of us used it for real but it was a lot of fun when we were hammered at 5am :lol:

drinking fountain?
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    norm wrote:

drinking fountain?

:sick::sick::sick:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    Mamasan23 wrote:

This is why us Americans are considered so uncultured. You should be ashamed of yourself. But I wouldve done the same thing, no doubt, hehe ;)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i would have tried it out.

:leaving:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    i would have tried it out.

:leaving:

I did. it's fantastic :mrgreen:
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Mamasan23 wrote:

the Paramount has a really nice toilet for VIP ticket holders...the kind that has a heated seat, it also washes and dries your bum...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

the Paramount has a really nice toilet for VIP ticket holders...the kind that has a heated seat, it also washes and dries your bum...

does it have spinning bristles like a car wash?
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

does it have spinning bristles like a car wash?

Those things are awesome, but it would take some special tenderness and accuracy to allow one of those in the taint region.
    31-38-mm-small-brush-with-steel-bristles_accessories_zoom.jpg

ow
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    31-38-mm-small-brush-with-steel-bristles_accessories_zoom.jpg

ow

that made my butt clinch... no, i am not joking
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg