Cal Fires, 2012

brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,692
edited August 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Another bad fire season here in the west. Looking out the window today it appears as if we are in a fog. There are no fires in my immediate area but there are so many over the state right now the air is totally hazy and the discomforting odor of forest fire is in the air. Looking at the Cal Fire web site, I estimate there are about 51,000 acres currently ablaze across the state.

Can't wait for fall to arrive!
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jammergirljammergirl Posts: 599
    yep, my friends closer to the Sierras in Quincy and Chico say it's pretty choked up with smoke there...damn drought. My dad worked for Cal Fire (when it was called CDF) and every year he would be gone from May to Sept, fighting fires. being a firefighter is not easy, especially in this state!
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    I've just been watching coverage of a large fire in Riverside County.

To see a home fully-ablaze, so so sad. And the scorched land.

Oh man, Brian.

I sure hope the people and animals are kept safe.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,692
    jammergirl wrote:
    yep, my friends closer to the Sierras in Quincy and Chico say it's pretty choked up with smoke there...damn drought. My dad worked for Cal Fire (when it was called CDF) and every year he would be gone from May to Sept, fighting fires. being a firefighter is not easy, especially in this state!

It really is hard work. I have a couple of friends who worked for CDF and, oh, the stories they tell! Right now my niece's husband is working on the support crew for the fire fighters on one the big fires. Long, hard hours and much needed help out there.

Best wishes go out to anyone working on or related to any of the fires crews out there. You're all heroes!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.