USA Basketball= CCCP

eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
edited August 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
I think Team USA basketball should replace the USA on their jersey with CCCP. Do you remember what the Soviet Union did in the 70's and 80's and everyone hated it? Now it has come full circle and everybody loves this 'Dream Team'. Personally I think sports like basketball and tennis should be removed from the Olympics. Why? Because if winning a gold medal is not the pinnacle of your sport then it has no place in the Olympics.

Go ask any tennis player- 'Would you rather win Wimbledon or a gold medal?'

Any basketball player- 'Gold or an NBA championship?'
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    eddiec wrote:
    I think Team USA basketball should replace the USA on their jersey with CCCP. Do you remember what the Soviet Union did in the 70's and 80's and everyone hated it? Now it has come full circle and everybody loves this 'Dream Team'. Personally I think sports like basketball and tennis should be removed from the Olympics. Why? Because if winning a gold medal is not the pinnacle of your sport then it has no place in the Olympics.

Go ask any tennis player- 'Would you rather win Wimbledon or a gold medal?'

Any basketball player- 'Gold or an NBA championship?'

The rest of the world was using professional players, so why wouldn't the US do the same? Obviously an NBA championship probably means more than a gold medal, but the being able to represent your country has to be a pretty special feeling.
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,127
    Should they also remove soccer (World Cup), cycling (Tour de France), sailing (America's Cup)? There are probably other examples as well...
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,762
    LeBron, Kobe and Coach K all said it was the pinnacle of their careers. I'd be fine going back to college players if everyone else did.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • It seems more cocky of us to send lesser talent and expect to win - also if we did lose we could play the "we didn't even use our best players" card.
    I am sure the other countries want to take their shot at the very best we have to offer. The fact that Spain battled to the very end with USA is something they should be very proud of. Much more respectable than beating some college kids.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    Should they also remove soccer (World Cup), cycling (Tour de France), sailing (America's Cup)? There are probably other examples as well...

I believe in men's soccer your players must be under 23 with 3 players allowed over that age.

Cycling is a sport with multiple disciplines. A lot of the guys who race in a velodrome would never compete in the Tour de France.

Sailing is another sport with multiple disciplines.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I say remove all US athletes from the Olympics to be honest with you. It would save a load of money actually.

But to your point, if this is a true olympics where its supposed to be the "best of the best" of whatever "sport" the IOC deems worthy to compete in, why should a country not be able to send their best? :?
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,359
    Great idea - get rid of more real sports (baseball/softball are already gone) so we can have more rhythmic gymnastics, synchronized diving, and race walking. Brilliant. :lol:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,127
    eddiec wrote:

I believe in men's soccer your players must be under 23 with 3 players allowed over that age.

Cycling is a sport with multiple disciplines. A lot of the guys who race in a velodrome would never compete in the Tour de France.

Sailing is another sport with multiple disciplines.
    World Cup is still the pinnacle of soccer, regardless of age limits. Ask any of those soccer players and I bet they would rather win the WC than the Olympics. For the others, should they remove those specific disciplines? What about golf when it is added? Gold vs winning the Masters?
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    race walking.

DUDE!!!!! DON"T FUCK WITH RACE WALKING!!!!!

That was the best shit I saw in the Olympics. I still walk around work like that. :lol::lol:

perez-float.gif
    Maybe my biggest gripe with the Men's basketball team is that if they lose I really don't think they care. Their sport is not one where they train their whole lives for that Olympic moment. In 2002 I was living in Spain and my roomates watched the basketball world championship. I watched a team of NBA guys lose the 5th place game to Spain. It was the most gutless and heartless performance I have ever witnessed. I just felt they didn't care about representing their country. Maybe they've changed but I don't think so.
    World Cup is still the pinnacle of soccer, regardless of age limits. Ask any of those soccer players and I bet they would rather win the WC than the Olympics. For the others, should they remove those specific disciplines? What about golf when it is added? Gold vs winning the Masters?

Clearly the players would choose the WC over Olympic gold. But the fact that it is mainly under 23's creates a tournament where for many of them it will be the pinnacle of their careers. Being on the under 23 team in no way guarantees you will be on your national senior team in the future. Just like in college football where winning the National championship is the greatest achievement because the majority of those guys will never play in the NFL.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    eddiec wrote:

Clearly the players would choose the WC over Olympic gold. But the fact that it is mainly under 23's creates a tournament where for many of them it will be the pinnacle of their careers. Being on the under 23 team in no way guarantees you will be on your national senior team in the future. Just like in college football where winning the National championship is the greatest achievement because the majority of those guys will never play in the NFL.
    David Stern wants to make it a 23 and younger setup, but the Olympics told him to screw off. Stern doesn't get any profit from the Olympics, but the NBA will get profit from the new FIBA world championships. The FIBA championships will be open to all ages.

Money, money, money!
    Jason P wrote:
    David Stern wants to make it a 23 and younger setup, but the Olympics told him to screw off. Stern doesn't get any profit from the Olympics, but the NBA will get profit from the new FIBA world championships. The FIBA championships will be open to all ages.

Money, money, money!

Pretty sad that the NBA just can't back the fuck off and let these guys play in the Olympics. Don't these assholes make enough money already?
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    I am ok with making Women's Beach Volleyball 23 and under.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • eddiec wrote:
    Maybe my biggest gripe with the Men's basketball team is that if they lose I really don't think they care. Their sport is not one where they train their whole lives for that Olympic moment. In 2002 I was living in Spain and my roomates watched the basketball world championship. I watched a team of NBA guys lose the 5th place game to Spain. It was the most gutless and heartless performance I have ever witnessed. I just felt they didn't care about representing their country. Maybe they've changed but I don't think so.
    I doubt they care about the 5th place game. I would imagine anything other than a Gold or 1st place finish is going to feel like last place in their minds ---- besides who really gives a shit who comes in 5th --- i am impressed they even showed up.
    And they have totally changed since Jerry Colangelo (sp) and Coach K took over.
    eddiec wrote:
    I doubt they care about the 5th place game. I would imagine anything other than a Gold or 1st place finish is going to feel like last place in their minds ---- besides who really gives a shit who comes in 5th --- i am impressed they even showed up.
    And they have totally changed since Jerry Colangelo (sp) and Coach K took over.

That's when USA basketball hit its low point. A lot of the top guys in the league weren't committing to the national team. Like you said, things have really turned around and we are back to dominating since Colangelo and Coach K got involved. Should be interesting to see who replaces Coach K...
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    And adding Kate Upton to the roster as well. :thumbup:
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Jason P wrote:
    And adding Kate Upton to the roster as well. :thumbup:
    You complete me.
    GoiMTvP.gif