Options

Where They right to Turn their back?

fadafada Posts: 1,032
edited January 2008 in The Porch
Having heard about the death of Heath Ledger recently where Pearl Jam right to have walked away from the trappings of fame at the time they did?

Was Vitology planned to loose fans . "Pry to", "Bugs" , "aye davanita and "hey foxymoph...... were pretty poor efforts and remind me of a band messing about.

Was there a killer single on the "Vitalogy" album. Probably about three but one could have picked six or seven off each of the other previous efforts.

Now I wasn't a PEarl Jam fan at the time( a bit young a missed the grunge period if truth be told) but alot of fans seemed turned off from PEarl Jam because of Vitalogy.

Spotlight pressure at the time on Eddie was emmence and he didn't want to make videos after Jermey. What would have happened if they hadn't have neglected the fame thing ? Would things have been better or worse.'

Is Eddie alot more peace of mind today that he would be if he had stayed the voice of his "generation"?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Stone Is GodStone Is God Posts: 1,329
    fada wrote:
    Now I wasn't a PEarl Jam fan at the time( a bit young a missed the grunge period if truth be told) but alot of fans seemed turned off from PEarl Jam because of Vitalogy.

Fuck 'em. I'd rather have it the way it is. I was talking about this with my girlfriend last night. I rather go see them with 12,000 who love the band as much as I do then have them play to 30,000 and deal with all the chuckle heads that it would bring.

They made the right move because it's possible that they might not even be a band right now if they hadn't gone in a complete different direction

I think what they did took balls and I love even them more for it.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • Options
    fada wrote:
    Having heard about the death of Heath Ledger recently where Pearl Jam right to have walked away from the trappings of fame at the time they did?

Was Vitology planned to loose fans . "Pry to", "Bugs" , "aye davanita and "hey foxymoph...... were pretty poor efforts and remind me of a band messing about.

Was there a killer single on the "Vitalogy" album. Probably about three but one could have picked six or seven off each of the other previous efforts.

Spotlight pressure at the time on Eddie was emmence and he didn't want to make videos after Jermey. What would have happened if they hadn't have neglected the fame thing ? Would things have been better or worse.'

Is Eddie alot more peace of mind today that he would be if he had stayed the voice of his "generation"?

Yes. They were right. Vitalogy considerably helped stem the tide of the almighty Backlash. Had they not retreated from the spotlight, they would have fallen prey to label pressures to keep turning out the hits. they would have all ended up burning out from exhaustion, and they very likely would have broken up. they pulled back to save themselves from the same kind of pressure that kills lesser bands.
    - Justin

You think the Slayer tour is out, or what?

"Finally! I get to save the earth with deadly lasers instead of deadly slide shows." -- Al Gore.
  • Options
    I feel they were right in a way. Eddie would have been in a goldfish bowl environment and would find it very hard to escape from the madness. Cobain should have done what Pearl JAm did or take the beatles route.
  • Options
    Was Vitalogy a deliberate attempt to isolate fans?
  • Options
    Slip KidSlip Kid Posts: 1,175
    Pearl Jam in returning to the spotlight. Into The Wild interviews, tv spots with Eddie and such like. Eddie doing a few film spots.

They all want to get paid so there returning to the media
    I just don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die.
  • Options
    fada wrote:
    Was Vitalogy a deliberate attempt to isolate fans?

I don't know what it was. I only know that I enjoy all 14 tracks of it.
    - Justin

"Finally! I get to save the earth with deadly lasers instead of deadly slide shows." -- Al Gore.
  • Options
    Agh come on the four I posted are rubbish.
  • Options
    fada wrote:

Agreed. They suck so bad. But I do really like Vitalogy. The rest of it is just so good.
  • Options
    FedericoFederico Posts: 7,916
    fada wrote:

is this affirmation cientifically tested or something
  • Options
    fada wrote:

stupid mop is unlistenable, period. Thre's something seriously wrong with you if you can get through it. much less like it.

I love Bugs, It's f'n hilarious!

the others are so short I really don't care.
  • Options
    fada wrote:

Rubbish? Nah.

Pry, to = Fun. Nice groove to it. I actually wish it could have been longer, and had more lyrics.

Bugs = Also quite fun. And it sums up the situation in which they found themselves, in a clever manner.

Aye Davanita = is actually kinda pretty. The music is very nice.

Stupid Mop = I enjoy old Sonic Youth, and I come from a family with a history of mental illness, so the song make sense to me (not because I have mental illnesses, but because it gives a musical context in which to understand the type of internal turmoil my mother and younger brother experienced). I guess something is seriously wrong with me. ;)
    - Justin

• Options
    When it comes down to it the four songs I mentioned Did isolate fans. While Vitalogy is non regarded as a great Pearl Jam album it has some fine tracks on it.

I think of it as an experiment to break free from MTV
  • Options
    gibbitsgibbits Posts: 500
    foxy mop has an awesome jam out guys, where's the love?
  • Options
    gibbits wrote:
    foxy mop has an awesome jam out guys, where's the love?
    i actually didnt listen to it much until i got vitalogy on vinyl... now i listen to the whole thing front to back everytime... and that song has really grown on me... its like a bad car accident that you cant help but look at... it forces that inner hidden interest in the grotesque... like a circus side show... it creeps the shit out of me in a good way... like a haunted house... and yes the jammin throughout is pretty solid!
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    fada wrote:
    When it comes down to it the four songs I mentioned Did isolate fans. While Vitalogy is non regarded as a great Pearl Jam album it has some fine tracks on it.

I think of it as an experiment to break free from MTV

Not that Rolling Stone is a great or final authority, but this album was on it's list of 500 best albums of all time(the only other one being Ten). And when the Avocado album came out, some of the ads featuring music critic bylines said something along the lines of, "Best work since Vitalogy." I'm the first to say you shouldn't bow down to the opinion of music critics, but they apparently did think it was a great album(as did I).
  • Options
    My3rdEyeMy3rdEye Posts: 926
    fada wrote:

I agree with what you are saying at least to some extent. They definately started pulling away with this album. Probably the reason they sold like 500 copies of No Code. Vitalogy lost alot of casual listeners and they didn't come back.

Face it. You don't release Tremor Christ as your first single if you want to have a radio hit and draw in more fans. I love the song but it's not for radio listeners.
  • Options
    HushBullHushBull Posts: 996
    fada wrote:
    I feel they were right in a way. Eddie would have been in a goldfish bowl environment and would find it very hard to escape from the madness. Cobain should have done what Pearl JAm did or take the beatles route.

Please don't mention Cobain and the Beatles in the same sentence...thank you
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
  • Options
    SBC03SBC03 Posts: 502
    the album would have been TOO good without those

1. Last Exit
    2. Spin The Black Circle
    3. Not For You
    4. Tremor Christ
    5. Nothingman
    6. Whipping
    8. Corduroy
    10. Satan's Bed
    11. Better Man
    13. Immortality

TOO fuckingood

Why wasnt there any B sides or outtakes from this album on lost dogs?

Immortality
    See this needle...a see my hand...
    Drop drop dropping it down...oh so gently...
    Well here it comes...I touch the plane...
    Turn me up...won't turn you away...
  • Options
    fada wrote:

Vitalogy is their best record, and the album would'nt be the same without Pry to, Bugs, AYe Davanita...If anything Vitalogy was a litte rougher around the edges and less produced but still their best work. I think No Code was the album to shake off the fairweather fans.
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #9-+--+
  • Options
    IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    Well I'd say they were right because they are still around and making music. They probably wouldn't have lasted as a band had they given into pressure to release another Ten or Vs, and release video after video. Instead, they made more artistically adventurous albums, and actually became a better band.
  • Options
    ONCE DEVIDEDONCE DEVIDED Posts: 1,131
    a few of my mates started to wane from PJ at Vitology
    NO CODE fiinished them off.
    No Code for me was the real strt of the journey for me. liked them before but grew to love them for stetching their boundries
    every PJ album is different in ways. Theydont just rehash 10 every album like the CHILLI Peppers rehash Californication . yeah it sells but geez its boring seeing and hearing it.
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE
  • Options
    IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    Vitalogy is their best record, and the album would'nt be the same without Pry to, Bugs, AYe Davanita...If anything Vitalogy was a litte rougher around the edges and less produced but still their best work. I think No Code was the album to shake off the fairweather fans.

Yeah those tracks give Vitalogy its quirkiness, and its character. Its an amazing album through and through. I think the real Pearl Jam was born on that album. Every band needs to start experimenting with their sound, and Pearl Jam did it in amazing ways from Vitalogy onwards (until Avacado, which I won't get into here).
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,342
    isolate only the clueless at the time, i hung on like i never wanted to let go thank god they took that route to where they are now, have you never heard stone say in retrospect ed was right leading us in that direction ? ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109
    Reply below - sorry, my mistake
    Not 10c member? Have sth to say? write to me - I'll put it on the forum
    halszka123@op.pl
  • Options
    halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109
    Stupid mop makes me feel really sick, like catching a cold or maybe even sth worse. I can't listen to this. But other songs are good. For me Vitalogy is the most difficult album and perhaps the greatest. I don't care how many "fans" turned off the band because of Vitalogy. No one has ever said that people had to love all their songs. I'm happy that I like most of them. And I'm grateful for Vitalogy - it was like discovering another side of PJ. Besides foxy... it's crashing my mind.

BTW. I've just read here about the H. Ledger's death. If there really were drugs - sometimes I think I could kill a man... who first tried drugs and gave them others. And I'm very sorry about next young man's death
    Not 10c member? Have sth to say? write to me - I'll put it on the forum
    halszka123@op.pl
  • Options
    cassidpcassidp Posts: 31
    Vitalogy seems to have its fair share of radio-friendly songs (Nothingman, Betterman, Corduroy, Not for you, Last Exit) which in my mind kept more of my friends listening to PJ when it came out. My ex-girlfriend even liked this one. I was really excited about No Code and thought it to be an awesome record (still my favorite), but fewer people seemed to get jazzed up by Who you Are and I'm Open. That's when I noticed my friends thought the guys were "getting too old" or that they were turning into a "hippie band" instead of making a bunch of albums like Ten. Just as soon as Yield brought tons of them back, Binaural pushed them even further away. In the last two records it seems that the music has been really fan friendly mixed with some radio songs for the masses too. It's been pretty cool to listen to them tweak their sound over the years-and not to mention watch some friends say they remember they liked PJ back when we were younger and then wonder if they still make records or ever tour!! Sad thing is I live in Georgia so I can't really prove the whole touring part anymore!
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Vitalogy is ione of my favorite PJ albums, and yes I like Stupid Mop. I don't listen to it that much, but in the right headspace, it is creepy. (In the dark, in a somewhat empty room, maybe moonlight shining in a window). Something wrong with me I guess! Bugs is funny (but there is a message). I like the whole record. Vitalogy and Yield are still my favorites.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    Igottago wrote:
    Yeah those tracks give Vitalogy its quirkiness, and its character. Its an amazing album through and through. I think the real Pearl Jam was born on that album. Every band needs to start experimenting with their sound, and Pearl Jam did it in amazing ways from Vitalogy onwards (until Avacado, which I won't get into here).

I would have thought that "betterman and curduroy" gave it the quality. I don't think that it was a poor album but it had a knock off effect on fans. That and the fact that they did very little promotion.

Would Pearl Jam have lasted in the gold fish bowl of fame?
  • Options
    smile05smile05 Posts: 600
    didnt Vitalogy sell 10m albums,also presumed it was No code when fans started to fade.
    1:Black 2:Corduroy 3:All Those Yesterdays 4:I Got ID 5:Smile

They can buy but cant put on my clothes
    Throw down my ace in the hole~~~~~~

Let's go for three in a row, no sorry i can't think of anything thats not funny. - Paul Merton

London96,Manchester00,Berlin06,London07
  • Options
    sagapo1sagapo1 Posts: 186
    My seven year old likes "Bugs." I look in the rearview mirror and see him smiling out the window.
    "Cynics are simply disappointed idealists" - George Carlin
    Everybody winds up kissing the wrong person goodnight. - Andy Warhol