Divorce and Kids

sleeplikeadogsleeplikeadog Posts: 156
edited August 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
I hate to get all serious on your asses, but I have some serious stuff to discuss, and I find the anonimity of the internet to be fantastic. Also, some of you seem to have experienced enough in life to actually be helpful ;)

So.....I'm 30 yrs old, and have a 2 year old son who I love more than anything in the whole world. I also, however, have a boyfriend(we aren't married, thank god) that I am becoming less and less fond of. I won't go into all of the details, but lets just say that if I hadn't gotten pregnant, I wouldn't have stayed with him. We were only together for 7 months before I got pregnant(we were drunk for the first 4). He isn't really that nice of a person, and when given the chance, he will do the wrong thing 9 out of 10 times.

Long story short, I am not happy with my relationship and don't want to continue, BUT I am hesitant to call it quits because I wonder about the impact it will have on my son. A part of me thinks that I should stick it out so that he can have a "together" family, but a part of me thinks that it's a horrible idea because the constant arguing and anger aren't healthy. I guess I'm wondering if I'm being selfish in the whole thing. I just feel like there's too much water under the bridge to really salvage the relationship for me. I know you're supposed to forgive and forget, but some of this shit is REALLY fucked up. Also, I'm not sure if he is man enough to actually show up and be a father if I call it quits. My son will need him, not just financially, but as a father. And as I stated earlier, his record of doing the right thing isn't all that great. And my financial situation isn't all that great either.

Anyways, anyone been in a similar situation with some advice or guidance? I actually feel a little lost right now. I feel I'm searching for something, and if I make the wrong decision I may end up more unhappy in the end, or maybe I'll regret not making the decision because I will always wonder what could have been.
Walking is still honest
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I have nothing to add but my sympathies. You'll figure it out. :(
  • Bennyorr4Bennyorr4 Posts: 307
    My mother was in that same situation when I was young. She decided to leave my father to keep my sister and I safe. Yeah it was tough and I really missed my dad but looking back on it 30 years later, I think it was for the best. Me and my sister are good people with some issues but that's normal (no more than average). I thank my mom for raising us to be the people we are and for making a decision that could not have been easy at the time. I'm not saying you should or shouldn't leave this guy but I think you definitely need to follow your motherly instincts. Always put the safety and security of your son first. He may hate you for it but he will probably thank you for it , I don't know your whole situation but that's my advice. Take it for what it is. Mostly just look after whats most important to you and yours. Good luck and stay strong.
  • LH255703LH255703 Posts: 112
    Just take a really honest look to the situation and yourself. In your heart you know what's the best thing to do... Hop all ends well!
  • RideRickRideRick Posts: 703
    So.....I'm 30 yrs old, and have a 2 year old son who I love more than anything in the whole world. I also, however, have a boyfriend(we aren't married, thank god) that I am becoming less and less fond of. I won't go into all of the details, but lets just say that if I hadn't gotten pregnant, I wouldn't have stayed with him. We were only together for 7 months before I got pregnant(we were drunk for the first 4). He isn't really that nice of a person, and when given the chance, he will do the wrong thing 9 out of 10 times..

For gods sake.. Get your life together for your self, your son and the father of your child.
    Arrange some therapy instead of running because once you start running.. you'll never find peace at home.

Is he a violent man? Does he hurt his kid, does he scare his kid. Is he a criminal or endangering your living beeing?
    It seems so easy for a lot of people to just run away from there problems instead of dealing with them.

"That what you fear the most, could meet you half way"

Broken home children are 'five times more likely to suffer mental troubles'

please check this LINK and maybe no internet will be needed to sort out your problem ;)
    | Pinkpop 1992 *BEST EVER | Rotterdam 1993 | Amsterdam 1996 | Pinkpop 2000 | Arnhem 2006 | Nijmegen 2007 | Rotterdam 2009 | Nijmegen 2010 | Amsterdam I + II 2012 ** | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2012 First European Concert *EPIC*| Amsterdam I + II 2014 | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2016 night I  | Amsterdam I + II 2018 | Amsterdam I -> Canceled  +  II 2022 *EPIC
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    as a son of divorced parents,ill tell u only this...

do the best for you and your kid...

seem that is to go away from this guy..

do it asap.....

and one tip....never......i mean NEVER.....put your children in the middle of the issues you having with the father of your son...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    as a son of divorced parents,ill tell u only this...

do the best for you and your kid...

seem that is to go away from this guy..

do it asap.....

and one tip....never......i mean NEVER.....put your children in the middle of the issues you having with the father of your son...

Awesome words of advice here. I grew up without a father...total deadbeat, my mom just cut him out of our lives. I never missed growing up without a dad because I never had one and now, being older, I completely understand why she did what she did and agree that she did the right thing.

That being said, every situation is different. Maybe you should try to go to counseling just to try it out. Counselors don't always try to keep relationships together either, if they see that it's wrong, then they will tell you and will hopefully make the transition easier. Good luck!!!!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    sweetie, I'm sorry you are going thru a tough time.
    First off, your son is very young, and kids are resilient. My parents divorced when I was 2. I still saw my dad whenever I could.

If your bf hasn't 'grown up' since becoming a father, he probably never will. You need to do what is best for the both of you. kids are smart, and they can tell when people don't get along.

I think you already know the answer to your situation, nobody can tell you what to do, the only person who can is yourself.

I wish you the best of luck.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • SnakeduckSnakeduck Posts: 1,056
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Awesome words of advice here. I grew up without a father...total deadbeat, my mom just cut him out of our lives. I never missed growing up without a dad because I never had one and now, being older, I completely understand why she did what she did and agree that she did the right thing.

That being said, every situation is different. Maybe you should try to go to counseling just to try it out. Counselors don't always try to keep relationships together either, if they see that it's wrong, then they will tell you and will hopefully make the transition easier. Good luck!!!!

Father died when I was 5 and it was the best thing that could have happened to my family... Just because someone has working genitalia, doesn't mean they should ever have kids. In other words, y'all can blame him for the "person" you see before you today.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i personally don't believe in many social constructs ... such as a "together" family is best ... everything you wrote screams that you need to separate ... single parents raise good kids every day in this country ... it does appear that money will be a factor and I hope that if you do find the courage to leave - you have a support network and community that will help you and that you will not be alone if you make this move ...
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,962
    The best thing for your child is that you get along with the father as well as you can. This may mean being with him, and it may mean not being with him. Trying to maintain a relationship when the relationship is shitty "for the kids" usually turns out worse for the kids. Deciding what the right thing to do can be a struggle, but it sounds like you're leaning one way already. Note: it does seem like there are a lot of single mom's in the stands during the Olympics :)