Options

2012 Olympic Men's Basketball

megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
edited August 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Please tell me if this thread already exists.

Pretty pumped since these games got going. USA looks great although small. Spain is big with the Gasol's and Ibaka. Any team with Ginoboli and Scola should be decent. Brazil has some NBA talent and just got a W. And France has Parker calling the shots so who knows.

And of course there will be the Dream Team vs the 2012 team debate which can be fun if done proper. I'm kind of annoyed that there are so many headlines reading, "Kobe and Lebron say they would beat the Dream Team".
They were just answering questions and these dudes are the best in the world, of course they think they have a chance.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    heres a good stream for those that need it

http://www.stream2watch.me/basketball/u ... ive-stream
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    :|
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,320
    i'm hoping for a miracle on the hardwood , i know noone is going to beat the Americans but would love to see it happen maybe Spain or Argentina & I would also love to see the team be just with College players ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    yea i agree. it would be more entertaining. they may be switching to only players under 23 can participate
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,216
    megatron wrote:
    Dream Team vs the 2012 team debate .
    anyone even think to compare those 2 teams,dont know what color the ball at basketball have or need to see a doctor..NOW..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I absolutely love the sport of basketball. Having said that, I enjoy even more so watching countries play. I certainly watch the NBA and NCAA, but FIBA is a refreshing watch for me - nice to see that influence of international play.

A part of me likes the idea of the 23-and-under rule. I think it would add an interesting element to the competition, and give the youngsters are real stage to make their name known.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    megatron wrote:
    anyone even think to compare those 2 teams,dont know what color the ball at basketball have or need to see a doctor..NOW..
    i disagree...with Durant and LeBron the 2012 team has two players the 1992 team would have never seen before. Plus this team is built to compete under the international rules. Of course the lack of size would make it tough on 2012, but this new squad is tight.
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    RW81233 wrote:
    megatron wrote:
    i disagree...with Durant and LeBron the 2012 team has two players the 1992 team would have never seen before. Plus this team is built to compete under the international rules. Of course the lack of size would make it tough on 2012, but this new squad is tight.

RW makes good points.

While the 1992 is favorable because of the overload of legendary talent, there are some things to consider with this debate and the realm of basketball.

I think the most important being that within the 20 years between both squads time of play, there have been real strides in the superiority of the NBA player's conditioning, physical training, etc.

I'm not down-playing the 1992 team, and I believe they'd win it, but by all means I do not believe it would be a blow out. There is a lot of talent on this 2012 squad, and like RW mentioned, Durant and especially LeBron are two players that are like nothing they'd seen. LeBron, physically, is exceptional for basketball. His skill set through his physical abilities is unreal and hard to beat, which is why he's definitely one of the most elite modern basketball players. The dude has speed, reflexes, and ability to play both sides of the court that is one of a kind.

Not getting on a LBJ rant here, just dropping my two cents. :geek: :geek:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,216
    i saw all i need to see from this team today..

great team???oh yeah..

like 1992 Dream Team..???

not even close..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    i saw all i need to see from this team today..

great team???oh yeah..

like 1992 Dream Team..???

not even close..

very true.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
    megatron wrote:

^^^
    This, exactly!

2012 Team is full of some amazing talent - specifically Kobe, LeBron & Durant (and CP3)...
    If I'm not mistaken the 1992 team, with the exception of Laettner (who beat out Shaq for the final spot)- INDIVIDUALLY are ALL in the Hall of Fame.
    Ain't gonna happen with this squad...

Michael Jordan said it best when Kobe and LeBron said this current team would beat the 1992 team: For them to compare those two teams is not one of the smarter things they ever could have done... Remember now, they learned from us. We didn't learn from them

Oh yeah, the 92 team would have NEVER beat a Lithuanian squad by a measly 5 points (the 92 team beat Lithuania by 51.)

I'm a hoops fan (Go Knicks :lol: ) and I could care less about this team, watching the games, etc...in 92 I made it a point to watch every game. Different dynamic. I want them to win for US Gold, but if I don't see a drop of it I'm not bummed at all. I loved that 92 team, don't love this team. On a neutral floor, with all things being equal, I firmly believe 92 beats 12 - even w/ Magic, Bird and Clyde on last legs...
    11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
    7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
    8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
    11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
    2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24~9.29.24