L.A. (and rest of US) to ban medical marijuana shops...

LiLiNY81LiLiNY81 Posts: 775
edited July 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Thoughts?

I personally think there is absolutely nothing wrong with weed. I'm not a huge smoker, but I smoke it every now and again. I have seen it help people with cancer and other illnesses, first hand. To me, it's far...FAR less damaging than alcohol. We can pump people full of pills, where the side effects listed take up more than half of the commercial, but we can't let them smoke a natural plant....where those side effects are usually hunger and giddiness? This just makes absolutely no sense to me.
"Now YOU listen. When we are on this ship, you are to refer to me as 'Idiot' not 'You Captain'!"
saldoubledutchgif_zps889c30d5.gif
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• barger395barger395 Posts: 855
    I completely agree. I use weed to help me sleep, to turn off my brain for awhile. I make brownies using pot infused oil. I tried otc sleep meds, but they all have side effects, mostly bad for your liver. No one if have ever known got high/stoned and then got into a fight like I've seen drunks do. Driving high is dangerous, but most people get so paranoid that they end up driving uber-careful, out of fear of being pulled over.

The big problem is that weed is classified by the federal gov't in the same category as PCP, Heroin, and Crack. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Here is a great article that I read today...

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/bl ... g-20120726

Cheers and have a great weekend!!
    Barger
    Seen the Best Rock Band on the Planet a few times here and there.
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    media_preview.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsouthparkstudios.mtvnimages.com%2Fimages%2Fshows%2Fsouthpark%2Fvertical_video%2Fseason_14%2Fsp_1403_clip10.jpg
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    There are so many more issues in this country right now that are so much more important than this.
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    I'd like to drop-kick our "Mayor" and some LA councilfolks over this.

These places create jobs, revenue, and actually help people.

(and some may use it for recreational use? Like alcohol? The horror.)

Yeah, getting rid of them is smart.

The liquor stores can stay, though.

(ps to Indifference - I don't disagree but then again it's all subjective. Many in my family and beyond have benefitted from this plant, so yeah...it's pretty important to some.)
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,217
    Yeah this country is so backwards , yeah let's ban the weed and make sure every mental patient in the land can buy any type of weapon they so desire :roll: :roll: You can't make this shit up ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • SnakeduckSnakeduck Posts: 1,056
    You know what grinds my gears? You, America. Fuck you!
    hedonist wrote:

(ps to Indifference - I don't disagree but then again it's all subjective. Many in my family and beyond have benefitted from this plant, so yeah...it's pretty important to some.)

Oh yeah, I'm not knocking these places....there's just so many other things wrong in this country now that the government should be focusing on. The amount of time and money wasted on insignificant things is mind-boggling.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    hedonist wrote:
    I'd like to drop-kick our "Mayor" and some LA councilfolks over this.

These places create jobs, revenue, and actually help people.

(and some may use it for recreational use? Like alcohol? The horror.)

Yeah, getting rid of them is smart.

The liquor stores can stay, though.

here frickin here, hedonist... i seem to agree with you 97.3% of the time.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    hedonist wrote:

Oh yeah, I'm not knocking these places....there's just so many other things wrong in this country now that the government should be focusing on. The amount of time and money wasted on insignificant things is mind-boggling.
    so let us smoke in peace and go after the bad guys and cure cancer and shit. leave pot users the hell alone

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    It's O.K., i know a guy
    so let us smoke in peace and go after the bad guys and cure cancer and shit. leave pot users the hell alone[/quote]

:clap::clap::clap::clap: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Cheers,
    Barger
    Not to mention the incredible amount of tax dollars that would be raised!! Think of all the things that could be fixed?? here in CA, it's estimated that $3 BILLION would be raised every year!! I'm sure gov't officials would find a way to spend it stupidly, but some good could be done.

Cheers,
    Barger
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    chadwick wrote:
    hedonist wrote:

so let us smoke in peace and go after the bad guys and cure cancer and shit. leave pot users the hell alone
    if u fuckin run for president,ill change my Nationality from Greek to American,only for fuckin vote u..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    by the way,

the u.s. government is out of control and stupid as shit in case you didn't already know this. do as you like as long as no one is getting hurt. that's my motto.

who is getting hurt when i smoke greenery? not one swingin jon is getting harmed. this country is as close to being retarded as one can get to being retarded without actually being retarded...maybe this place is retarded from sea to glistening sea?

corrupt is the word as well as greed, stupidity & war mongering

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    if u fuckin run for president,ill change my Nationality from Greek to American,only for fuckin vote u..
    dimitrispearljam... love your way, brother!
    i could clean fucking house in the white house
    shit would get done

soo many things i'd learn and i'd change soo much the world would do a spin on it's axis completely jump the fucker

im not bragging at all

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    chadwick wrote:
    Backatcha, my good man ;)

Indifference, I hear ya. I took your comment to mean that WE shouldn't be focusing on this, not that the government shouldn't be. So yup, agreed there.

And polaris, yes, this would free up so much space in our crowded prisons. I just read about two fuckwits getting ONE TO FIVE YEARS for raping a 17-yr-old and posting photos/videos of her and them mid-acts. And yet, nonviolent folks are doing much more time for so much less. Makes no sense.
    hedonist wrote:
    chadwick wrote:
    Backatcha, my good man ;)

Indifference, I hear ya. I took your comment to mean that WE shouldn't be focusing on this, not that the government shouldn't be. So yup, agreed there.

And polaris, yes, this would free up so much space in our crowded prisons. I just read about two fuckwits getting ONE TO FIVE YEARS for raping a 17-yr-old and posting photos/videos of her and them mid-acts. And yet, nonviolent folks are doing much more time for so much less. Makes no sense.
    :shock: wow!

why can't someone just put those bad dudes out of their misery and out of our peaceful lives that we desire?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • LiLiNY81LiLiNY81 Posts: 775
    It's just unfathomable to me...banning a plant that has been proven time and time again to be very beneficial. My roommate has Crohn's Disease and the only thing that has ever seemed to settle his stomach was weed. He's tried everything under the sun, to no avail.

You're telling me that a pill like Xanax should be legal over weed? I have an anxiety disorder and with Xanax, I was knocked out for 2 hours each time I took it (same would happen if I divided it in half and even thirds at the lowest dosage of .25mg). When I'd wake up, I'd feel like a zombie and the feeling generally lasted about 24 hours. It was like torture. With weed, I never had the lethargy...only a feeling of instant ease and calm.

"The government totally sucks."

tenacious_d.jpg
    "Now YOU listen. When we are on this ship, you are to refer to me as 'Idiot' not 'You Captain'!"
    saldoubledutchgif_zps889c30d5.gif
    chadwick wrote:

EXACTLY!!!!
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    barger395 wrote:
    Not to mention the incredible amount of tax dollars that would be raised!! Think of all the things that could be fixed?? here in CA, it's estimated that $3 BILLION would be raised every year!! I'm sure gov't officials would find a way to spend it stupidly, but some good could be done.

Cheers,
    Barger

I've really never understood this argument to be honest. I'm not trying to be confrontational but it's a ridiculous argument when you really sit down and think about. Since when is anyone for raising taxes? :lol: Perhaps the government can pass an "air tax". Can you imagine the billions they could raise by allowing us to breathe? Would a smoker really be happy paying $17 for a dime bag including tax? I just never understood this line of trying to justify making something legal. I'm not going to say where I stand on the issue because it's irrelevant. All I'm saying is trying to justify making something legal should not include how much it could be taxed.
    DS1119 wrote:

I've really never understood this argument to be honest. I'm not trying to be confrontational but it's a ridiculous argument when you really sit down and think about. Since when is anyone for raising taxes? :lol: Perhaps the government can pass an "air tax". Can you imagine the billions they could raise by allowing us to breathe? Would a smoker really be happy paying $17 for a dime bag including tax? I just never understood this line of trying to justify making something legal. I'm not going to say where I stand on the issue because it's irrelevant. All I'm saying is trying to justify making something legal should not include how much it could be taxed.

Unfortunately with the financial mess that most of this country is in, taxes have to come into the conversation when justifying making something legal. Just legalize weed, sports gambling, and prostitution and we'll all be back on track!!
    DS1119 wrote:

Unfortunately with the financial mess that most of this country is in, taxes have to come into the conversation when justifying making something legal. Just legalize weed, sports gambling, and prostitution and we'll all be back on track!!

To take that line of thinking is very dangerous. Let's legalize muder. You murder someone...as long as you pay a million dollar tax...it's ok...we have a national debt to pay back. Like I said, it's irrelevant where I stand personally on the issue but trying to justify the legality of something by how much it can be taxed is a dangerous road to travel.
    DS1119 wrote:

To take that line of thinking is very dangerous. Let's legalize muder. You murder someone...as long as you pay a million dollar tax...it's ok...we have a national debt to pay back. Like I said, it's irrelevant where I stand personally on the issue but trying to justify the legality of something by how much it can be taxed is a dangerous road to travel.

Definitely see your point that it can be a dangerous road to go down. But the way I look at it with things like weed & sports gambling is that people are going to do these things either way, so why not tax it?
    DS1119 wrote:

Definitely see your point that it can be a dangerous road to go down. But the way I look at it with things like weed & sports gambling is that people are going to do these things either way, so why not tax it?

And then there's the people in the country that would rather try stopping it instead. I'm all for freedom of choice...believe me...but I HATE sales tax even more. It's a screwed up position for me. :fp: :lol:
    DS1119 wrote:

And then there's the people in the country that would rather try stopping it instead. I'm all for freedom of choice...believe me...but I HATE sales tax even more. It's a screwed up position for me. :fp: :lol:

Absolutely...I'm the same way. I'll bitch about taxes all day, but then say the government should start legalizing and taxing things like weed, gambling, etc...