Weight loss tips

binauralsounds182binauralsounds182 Posts: 119
edited December 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Hey I'm 18 and am trying to lose weight. I'm not very fat, but I'd like to look better. 90% of it is belly fat and im sure those of you who know about nutrition know why fat collects in certain areas on some people and other areas on others...i have no idea. But anyway Im a meat and potatoes kind of guy. I dont like salads. Ive been cutting almost all sodas out of my diet (ive had maybe 2 in the past 5 days) and ive been running around 2 miles each day, one in the morning and one in the evening.

I want some input from you guys as to what I can do to speed the process along and to insure better results. Sometimes im craving some chips or a soda and I NEED to know of some snack foods and healthy drinks to replace my usual snacks and drinks with...Ive been drinking lots of water. When determining what to eat Ive recently started looking mainly at carbs. are there other things i should be more worried about? Is the 2 miles each day (sometimes only 1 depending on my work schedule) enough to make much difference?

Basically any and all help is appreciated, thanks everybody!
1st and only show so far:
Charlottesville, VA 10/29/2013

"He who forgets will be destined to remember."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Good for you! :thumbup: Don't ever question if two miles of running will make a difference! Excercise is excercise and it all makes a difference. As far as the diet aspect I have nothing to offer. :lol: Mine is shit but I'm lucky to have a pretty good metabolism still. I would suggest staying away from junk food (sodas, sweets, salty products, etc) and do like your doing and drink plenty of water. Also in my opinion, if you feel that 2 miles a day isn't enough push it a little. Instead of 1 mile in the morning and 1 at night, maybe push that night run to 1.5 miles...2 miles....etc. Build your endurance. Also, set goals. It WILL not happen overnight. Tell yourself you want to lose two pounds this week and when you do next week you will be motivated as hell. Just keep pushing.
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    meth..

just kidding.. exercise a lot and don't eat bullshit late at night
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,679
    and get rid of any beer

Can't believe I posted that :fp:
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    cut out the sugar/booze. drink lots of water. eat meals high in protein so you stay full longer.

i think running is kind of a waste of time unless you are doing sprints or running hills. i like to jog then pick a target (tree or street sign) in the distance, like 40 yards away, then sprint full speed to the target then jog until my heart rate gets back down to a comfortable level...then repeat. really sucks but way more effective.

also doing weight training or even body weight training at high intensity will burn fat faster. plus the more muscle you gain the higher your metabolism is.
    ever try doing push ups, pull ups, squats, and sit ups for 2 hours? it's damn near impossible. you can do 30 minutes of circuit training and burn more calories than jogging for 2 hours.

this pdf right here is the absolute answer to losing weight. 10 workouts @60 seconds each with 15 seconds rest between. it's important to remember that you only do as many as comfortable in 60 seconds as to not overexert yourself.
    depending on your fitness level you may want to start with no weights. the goal is to eventually do 3 circuits in a row. do this work out 2-3 times a week and you'll be shredded in a couple months.

http://www.starz.com/SiteCollectionImag ... orkout.pdf

(you'll want to minimize it .. duh) :D
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    Fat just hits problem areas on different people in different ways. There is no way to spot reduce.

Fat loss is 95% nutrition. Basically you need to track your calories (myfitnesspal, livestrong, fatsecret, etc). Figure out what you daily caloric needs are and eat less than that. Jogging 2 miles does nothing really but allow you maybe 150 bonus calories.

Its simple. Consume less than you burn each day.

Now, if you follow megatrons workout advice, as well as eat a lot of protein and few carbs, you will accelerate the progress faster, and your appearance will be ripped. If you eat protein, and are working strength, it ensures your body looks to fat to burn, not your lean body mass. The p90x workouts are great for cutting fat.
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    You're definetly on the right path. Exercise and eating small portions will help you lose fat. Your 18 yrs old and your good metabilism is going to help you lose weight.

You can look up low fat/healthy snacks on line. Learn to read labels - pay attention to the Calories and Fat of the foods you are planning on eating.

Make healthy low fat desserts by using your favorite fruits.

Remember - You're not on a diet - its called Healthy eating.... :D
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    i went a little overboard on the workout but you're 18 so you can handle it :D

mikalina is 100% correct. it's not a diet it's a lifestyle change. it took me years to figure out what i was putting in my body.

i actually eat a lot of food as long as i'm active. i counted calories for a while but that can be discouraging...instead i just learned to like different/healthier things. i dress my burrito up with hot sauce and a little guac instead of sour cream and cheese. i still eat sandwiches but instead of mayo i use spicy mustard and maybe vinegar(no oil). ground turkey instead of beef. grilled wings instead of fried with butter free hot sauce. pretty much no fast food place that has a drive thru except chick fil a's grilled chicken sandwich. stuff like that

once i got off the heavy stuff i'd feel gross eating it

oh and bbq'd skinless chicken breast with veggies is god
  • Suzi78Suzi78 Posts: 362
    Sounds to me like you just want to tighten up a bit and get rid of the belly. I've been working out for many years and in the beginning I would do what you're mostly describing; mainly jogging at an even tempo a few times a week. I might have lost a few pounds initially but no way did it make my body tight or belly flat. The biggest change for me has been since I started doing interval training, like megatron described, in combination with strength, resistance and core training.

The belly is probably the hardest area to work on especially if you're prone to belly fat, and I think you need to be really strict with your diet. No matter how hard you work out, if you're eating crap, you will never have a flat, hard belly. Eat lots of fibrous veggies (broccoli, cauliflower etc), lean protein and eggwhites (skip the red meat and eat more fish), beans, lentils and quinoa are excellent foods that keep you full longer. Hmmm...for snacking...carrots and hummus, berries, apples and almond butter, watermelon is great (it's a natural diuretic and makes you feel full), raw almonds and drink lots and lots water.

When it comes to training I would recommend you switch up your cardio and do more intense interval training (just google interval training and you will find lots of good tips) a few times a week, but your focus should be on strength and core training. Circuit training is great as it keeps your heart rate up. I also love using a resistance ball , it can really tighten up your belly quickly. If you don't have access to a gym you can just buy a ball, they're pretty cheap, and there are tons of exercises you can do with it that focus on your core.
    And you don't really needs lots of weights to do strength training. Using your own body as weight (such as push-ups, pull-ups, dips, chin-ups) can many times be even more effective.

I hope you reach your goal. Good luck!
    How I choose to feel is how I am
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    For health reasons I have lost two stone (28lbs) by cutting out all fizzy juice (soda) limiting alcohol to a bear minimum,cutting way down low on sugar,reduced meat and fats and smaller portions.
    Began exercise three times a week and have dramatically increased the amount of walking I do,only drink water,black tea,black coffee and natural fruit tea.
    Have a snack every two hours,usually an oatcake,ricecake or a handful of nuts and seeds.That has definitely helped keep my energy levels up,blood sugars normal and halted mid morning and mid afternoon cravings,don't eat anything after I have had my tea ... ways to go but I am feeling much better and have much more energy.
    Good luck,it's all about sensibility and excersise ... wish I had committed to that principal years ago :oops:
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    I have a girlfriend that would eat half of her food when she went out, then pour salt all over the rest of it so that she wasn't tempted to eat more. It really worked for her!
    The trick with exercise is to find something you don't hate doing. I created my own workout plan using lots of weight lifting because I like to lift weights and I actually look forward to doing it every day. So find what you like and go with it! Good luck!!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,148
    Cut soda completely out of your diet. Drink fruit smoothies instead- ones with no added sugar or honey.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    Cut soda completely out of your diet. Drink fruit smoothies instead- ones with no added sugar or honey.

This is SO important,I do believe this is the main reason I got my blood sugars down so quickly.I was addicted to coke before I cut it out completely,been 7 months without drinking it and I feel the benefit significantly.
    I would also advise NOT to just swap them for the diet variety,they are poison to the system with the shit that is in them.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    only one thing...you need to want that so much ,that you deside to start the diet..and start eat healthy.
    the rest ,what to drink,to eat,what not,is easy to find the infos..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    How is everyone doing with weight loss ??

It's almost a brand new year and "dieting" is always on the new year resolution.
    ********************************************************************************************* image