Anyone else terrified ....

Fifi_IrelandFifi_Ireland Posts: 576
edited July 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
of opening their credit card bill?

I am freaking out...but I find that when I know I am in the shit that I cant help spending more cash! Off on holidays in 1.5 weeks and i reckon I already owe more than a months pay......
168dcfb.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I should really introduce you to a friend of mine...

201112-own-suze-money-250x475.jpg
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,148
    No.

Because I realize you only live once :D8-).
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Fifi_IrelandFifi_Ireland Posts: 576

Only if they are male, single and have a bigger credit card limit than me :mrgreen:
    168dcfb.jpg
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    already got 20 heart attacks and 50 strokes..im doing good...doctor said...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,692
    Three solutions to Fear of Bills:

1. Use cash or checks instead of credit cards or at least pay off credit card balances in full each time they arrive,

2. Lock your credit cards, check book etc. in the trunk of your car when you go shopping for something major (or some place inconvenient in the home if shopping on-line). This forces you to have time to rethink- Is it really what I want? Is it really the right one? and,

3. This one is hard to get started but once you do you will forever love it: Save up enough money so that each month you have all of next months expenses covered. It was really hard for me to do this initially (about 16 years ago), especially because I was nearly destitute when I set it up (which is why I did it) but now I always have next months expenses covered. I hold the money in my bank account as if it weren't there. When August roles around eleven days from now I'll have all my expenses covered. Do this every month religiously and your stress level over money will be hugely decreased.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Dru_CortezDru_Cortez Posts: 953
    I don't think
    one's stress level about money
    EVER decreases-
    it never ends, man!
    Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    I save the stress and use debit. I don't trust myself with a credit card... Probably won't for many years.
  • curlygirly9curlygirly9 Posts: 1,872
    I save the stress and use debit. I don't trust myself with a credit card... Probably won't for many years.

+1
    Rose Garden Arena - Nov 02, 2000, Key Arena - Oct 22, 2001, Key Arena - Dec 08, 2002, Key Arena - Dec 09, 2002, Clark County Amphitheater - Sep 26, 2009
  • LiLiNY81LiLiNY81 Posts: 775
    I had one credit card when I was 18...maxed it out within 6 months (it was a rather large limit too). Never got another credit card again. I find my debit card is sufficient enough.
    "Now YOU listen. When we are on this ship, you are to refer to me as 'Idiot' not 'You Captain'!"
    saldoubledutchgif_zps889c30d5.gif
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,359
    LiLiNY81 wrote:
    I had one credit card when I was 18...maxed it out within 6 months (it was a rather large limit too). Never got another credit card again. I find my debit card is sufficient enough.

Unfortunately you need a credit card to rent a car.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    brianlux wrote:
    Three solutions to Fear of Bills:

1. Use cash or checks instead of credit cards or at least pay off credit card balances in full each time they arrive,

2. Lock your credit cards, check book etc. in the trunk of your car when you go shopping for something major (or some place inconvenient in the home if shopping on-line). This forces you to have time to rethink- Is it really what I want? Is it really the right one? and,

3. This one is hard to get started but once you do you will forever love it: Save up enough money so that each month you have all of next months expenses covered. It was really hard for me to do this initially (about 16 years ago), especially because I was nearly destitute when I set it up (which is why I did it) but now I always have next months expenses covered. I hold the money in my bank account as if it weren't there. When August roles around eleven days from now I'll have all my expenses covered. Do this every month religiously and your stress level over money will be hugely decreased.

Going to give this a go! I think number 3 definitely sounds like the way to manage things in the long run! Thanks :) Its just so hard not to something more to the shopping list.....sneaked the EV manchester trip in at the last minute cause my lovely new PJ fans convinced me when I'd had a few beers but panicking now thinking of paying for it ;)
    168dcfb.jpg
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    of opening their credit card bill?

I am freaking out...but I find that when I know I am in the shit that I cant help spending more cash! Off on holidays in 1.5 weeks and i reckon I already owe more than a months pay......

nope... cause i dont have a credit card. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    No... I budget all the time.... :P
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,692
    mikalina wrote:

Budget? That's so old fashioned... but so am I ! :lol: I budget like crazy. Have to. That plus my putting money away a month ahead as mentioned above.

One more thing I do that really helps- this was my wife's idea. We give ourselves an allowance. So many couples argue over what to spend money on (been there in the past myself). So we have joint funds for all the basics and a weekly allowance. Our allowance is our money to do whatever we want with- that way the other person can't say, "That's a waste on money." Doesn't matter- it's your money, you do what ever you want with it.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    I save the stress and use debit.
    Smart man! That's what we do too.

Haven't had a credit card for years, and never will again.

If I can't pay for it in full at the time, then I can't afford it...and must...exercise...self-discipline!
  • LiLiNY81LiLiNY81 Posts: 775
    LiLiNY81 wrote:

Not true. I've used my bank card to rent a car. As long as your debit card has a Visa or Mastercard logo on it (which most have to), you're good.
    "Now YOU listen. When we are on this ship, you are to refer to me as 'Idiot' not 'You Captain'!"
    saldoubledutchgif_zps889c30d5.gif
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124

I love her
    hedonist wrote:

If I can't pay for it in full at the time, then I can't afford it...and must...exercise...self-discipline!

Yeah. I certainly don't need my credit score trashed at age 19 either.
    LiLiNY81 wrote:
    LiLiNY81 wrote:

Not true. I've used my bank card to rent a car. As long as your debit card has a Visa or Mastercard logo on it (which most have to), you're good.

Yeah, as long as they can use it like a credit card you're fine.
    brianlux wrote:
    mikalina wrote:

Budget? That's so old fashioned... but so am I ! :lol: I budget like crazy. Have to. That plus my putting money away a month ahead as mentioned above.

One more thing I do that really helps- this was my wife's idea. We give ourselves an allowance. So many couples argue over what to spend money on (been there in the past myself). So we have joint funds for all the basics and a weekly allowance. Our allowance is our money to do whatever we want with- that way the other person can't say, "That's a waste on money." Doesn't matter- it's your money, you do what ever you want with it.

That's a good idea, Brian. Especially for couples
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    hedonist wrote:

The wisest words :clap: I inherited this philosophy from my parents.I was always told if you want/need something work hard and save for it,then it will be appreciated and treasured once achieved/purchased.

I have never had a credit card and never will.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    No.

Because I realize you only live once :D8-).
    that's also my philosophy :)
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I've never maxed one out before. I think I exert pretty good control!

I charge groceries and gas with my card. I have a credit card that offers cash back. I pay off my balance every month. I charge my clothes online too from Macy's or Chadwicks. Can't beat Macy's free shipping. We don't have decent clothing stores nearby. However, I do get nice capri pants from Walmart!

off topic: my cat wants to eat this squirrel for lunch
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSFsY9JW ... re=mh_lolz
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    rollings wrote:

I love her

I like her frankness; she's like the parent some people never had to counsel them on wise spending :)
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    I dont know who she is!
    When I get back from my holidays I am going to commence a budgeting process......its tooo late now for this month! Thanks guys!
    168dcfb.jpg
    I think her name is Suze Orman (Susie Orman?) a debt counselor....people tell her how much money they have and they want her advice if they can afford a new item or vacation (just some examples.)
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    I give ol' Suze credit for making a living off of other people's lack of common sense and basic math skills.
    hedonist wrote:
    I give ol' Suze credit for making a living off of other people's lack of common sense and basic math skills.

From watching her show a few times, I think many people don't save enough for retirement. But yes, I think you are right.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more